Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TobyandChadsmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 06:37 AM
    My dog doesn't want to walk up the stairs
    2 days ago my 8 year old yellow lab mix became hesitant to walk up stairs. We had finished a walk earlier in the morning, and Chad had no noticeable problem. My house has a deck with stairs (about 8) from one deck to the other. Chad kept putting one foot on the stair, then removing it. He has no problem walking down.
    He tried to jump on the bed, but failed, and this from a dog that can gracefully jump on to anything just the day before. I think he might have hurt his front leg, but I don't feel any swelling. He does get rigid when I probe under this front legs, but doesn't yelp. Should I just let him rest, or is this a symptom of something more serious.

Thank you for your time
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 07:20 AM

I never take a chance with my dogs - anything out of the ordinary, any change, they go right to the Vet. Sometimes it's been something minor but at least I knew what it was.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 09:18 AM

I understand you want to hear something informative. So here goes. My Rott at age 6 suddenly couldn't jump up on the bed. She didn't show any signs of pain. We took her to the Vet. It was a tumor on her spine and inoperable. She lived several months, woke up paralyzed, had to be euthanized. Her name was Cassidy. She was a great dog.

My 10 year old Lab couldn't jump up on the bed. I took him to the Vet. He had somehow dislocated vertebrae in his neck. He couldn't hold his head all the way up. He was in pain. The surgery would have required him to be confined, in a kennel, for 2 months. They couldn't do the surgery locally and he would have to be boarded at a Vet College. He was euthanized. His name was Sam. He was a good dog.

My German Shepherd suddenly couldn't jump up on the bed. She had torn a ligament in her rear leg. She showed no signs of pain. The surgery was over $5,000 because the second leg had to also be corrected.

I'm sure there are dogs all over the World who come up lame and heal by themselves.

That has not been my experience.

I'm not a Vet. I gave you the best info I had the first time around. Have someone examine the dog.

You may wish to check the rules for posting. The fact that it's not what you wanted to hear doesn't make it bad (or good) or insufficient advice.
    Puppylover46236 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 06:01 AM

Tat was the same as my dog when she got up there she was 2 scared 2 get down what you should do is bring he/her up stairs and walk down with her and the lead.I have a lab mix 2 soooo try tat or something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Outside stairs [ 2 Answers ]

I need some idea's on using concrete blocks for stairs outside

What to put on my stairs! [ 16 Answers ]

I am putting laminate flooring on my living room floor but I have a multi-level house so I'm wondering what to do with the stairs - it's not recommended to put laminate on the stairs so I'm looking for any pics of people who may have laminate with carpetted stairs! I can't picture how it would...

Rad up stairs are hot down stairs are cold [ 3 Answers ]

I have a standard boiler 3way valve and pumped system. Up stairs 4 rads all working fine, down stairs I have three cold rads. Pump sounds like its working

Set of stairs [ 2 Answers ]

On a set of stairs, is the rise always bigger than the run?

View more questions Search