Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawsonplate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 09:53 PM
    Can a bank foreclose on a loan NOT behind in payments
    In 1988 we took a commercial loan for $250,000.00 the current balance is less than $25,000.00.
    Last year I missed 2 payments--these have been paid and the loan is now current and has been for the last 6 months.
    The bank wants to close for default.

Can we do anything?

Donna/john
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 04:43 AM

Hello Donna/john:

Yes, there is. You're NOT in default, so you must defend yourself, or they'll take YOUR building.

You say they WANT to foreclose... Have they DONE anything instead of just letting you know what they want?

I'd see a lawyer TODAY!!

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2009, 07:05 AM

Read your loan contract. Even making a payment late can result in a default and for the bank to call the loan.

I suspect they think the property is highly valued or maybe you have a low interest rate. However, since the balance is about $25K, see if you can refinance with another lender
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2009, 07:18 AM

Hello again:

I agree with Scott. However, if they accepted your late payments, then they can't foreclose based on them being late - at least in my view.

They can't have it both ways.

I agree further with Scott in that, they are trying to STEAL your property.

Plus, they've DONE something, like hired an attorney, or filed for foreclosure or filed a lawsuit... The bank just DIDN'T call you up and say they want your property.

Therefore, I suggest that your equity of what may be well over a MILLION $$$$'s, is in JEOPARDY.

You need to see a lawyer TODAY!!

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I foreclose my house, do I still need to pay back the loan on my pool? [ 6 Answers ]

I financed a swimming pool outside of my mortgage. If I foreclose my home, am I still responsible to pay back the loan for my pool?

What happens to the 2nd mortgage loan in California after you foreclose? [ 1 Answers ]

I just received a letter in the mail from (Real Time Resolutions) and they are telling me that I owe my entire 2nd loan to them but they are willing to settle. It was my understanding in California that if your home was your primary residence, had a non-recourse loan on the 1st and 2nd and you...

Renegotiate loan / foreclose due to death in the family [ 3 Answers ]

So here is the situation: In 2003 I co-signed on a loan with my mother to purchase a house (house#1) In 2006 I purchased a home of my own (house#2)and began living there with two roommates. In 2006 my mother was diagnosed with cancer In early 2007 I moved into my mothers residence(house#1) to...

Can a bank draft be cancelled by a bank if the purchaser is in default on a loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I had recently purchased a bank draft from a bank to which I owe a large sum of money. I'am overdue on the minimum payment and the bank has started to make noises about taking legal action. Due to some reason the recipient has not deposited the bank draft yet. Can the bank legally cancel the...

View more questions Search