Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spanky third Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
    How to wire/combine 4 single switches in one box for 4 lights
    I want to wire 4 fluorescent lights separately on single switches but want to put the switches in one blue box. Other words, I want to be able to turn on one light at a time, or turn on 3 different lights at a time. How do I run the wires in the switch box? Do I pigtail all of the switches? The lights is in my garage that I am finishing off. Thanks
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 05:57 AM
    You will not have to use pigtails if you have the power going to each light.

If power comes into the switch box, you will have to use use pigtail to one side of wire coming from power to each switch. One leg of wire from each light will go to each switch.
    The other wires from lights will be tied together with other side of power.

Hope this helps.Good luck

Feb 12, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    You will not have to use pigtails if you have the power going to each light.

If power comes into the switch box, you will have to use use pigtail to one side of wire coming from power to each switch. One leg of wire from each light will go to each switch.
    The other wires from lights will be tied together with other side of power.

Hope this helps.Good luck
    Thanks Creahands, I am not quite clear on this yet. I am new at this as you can tell. I have one line with power coming in and leaving the box. I have the 4 wires run for the 4 lights. I will twist all the white wires together. I will twist all the ground wires together. I will connect the black wire from each light cable to the bottom screw on each switch. How do get the power to all 4 switches? Do I cut one short black wire and wrap it around the top screw of each switch and twist it together with the other black wires? Do I cut a short ground wire and twist it with all the other ground wires and attach to the grounding screw on the switch? Need some more instructions please. Thanks from spanky third
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 05:56 AM

You will need 4 short pieces of black wire, about 8". Connect these 4 short wires with the 2 other blacks(in and out).
    Then each of the 4 wires goes to each switch.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 06:42 AM

Hi spanky third
    Stratmando has covered the set up for the power to the switches. You should also connect a ground wire to each ground lug on each switch. You will need 4 ground wires about 8" long.
    If you are using metal box, connect a ground wire to the box. Tie all ground wires together. Use wire nut to hold secure.

Feb 13, 2009, 09:07 AM
    [QUOTE=Stratmando;1546000]You will need 4 short pieces of black wire, about 8". Connect these 4 short wires with the 2 other blacks(in and out).
    Then each of the 4 wires goes to each switch.[/QUOTE

Thanks Stratmando, I will let you know when I put these wires together. I thought 6 wires in one little connector was too much. Have a good day. Spanky third

Feb 13, 2009, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi spanky third
    Stratmando has covered the set up for the power to the switches. You should also connect a ground wire to each ground lug on each switch. you will need 4 ground wires about 8" long.
    If you are useing metal box, connect a ground wire to the box. Tie all ground wires together. Use wire nut to hold secure.
    Thanks Creahands, I am using a plastic box so I will not be grounding to the box. That is a lot of wires to twist together but I am going to try this within about 2 hours. Thanks so much for your help. Have a nice day. Spanky third
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 12:06 PM

Wold be nice if in a 4 gang box.
    If a 2 gang box, you could use 2 dual slide dimmers.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Feb 13, 2009, 12:43 PM

Just be sure to use the correct size wire nut. It should be listed on the package how many of each size wire the nut is good for.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 01:20 PM

You can always have 4 of the connections in a wirenut, and connect 3 more wires in a wirenut with a small jumper, connecting the 2 groups.

Feb 13, 2009, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tev View Post
    Just be sure to use the correct size wire nut. It should be listed on the package how many of each size wire the nut is good for.
    Thanks Tev, I did find a wire nut that would hold the wires. That was one packed box of wires but it was interesting to connect. Spanky third

Feb 13, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    You can always have 4 of the connections in a wirenut, and connect 3 more wires in a wirenut with a small jumper, connecting the 2 groups.
    Thanks Stratmando, I have everything attached and ready to turn the power on. I have a few more outlets to connect before I test to see if all is o.k. I may blow up the world. I am a lady do it yourselfer but this is my first electrical work. Will let you know what happens. Spanky third

Feb 14, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky third View Post
    Thanks Stratmando, I have everything attached and ready to turn the power on. I have a few more outlets to connect before I test to see if all is o.k. I may blow up the world. I am a lady do it yourselfer but this is my first electrical work. Will let you know what happens. Spanky third
    Hello, Back again and have finished the job. Thanks to all that gave me the good information and instruction. I have lights everywhere and all is super. Without all of you I could not have connected the switches. Have a good day. Spanky third
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 05:55 PM

Glad to hear all is well. Take care, and from all who helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two lights, two switches, single feed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm planning on rewiring a non-working porch light. The inside switch for this light is in a two gang box with a switch for a kitchen light. I'd like to rig the porch light on a three way switch (so the porch light can be controlled from both inside and outside) to a hot lead that is also...

Wiring 3 switches for 3 lights [ 8 Answers ]

Hi,need a digram on wiring 3 switches in a gang box to 3 diff lights,I took power from a receptacle,I got one light to work,but need to know how to wire the other 2 lights and switches,also I am using 3 dimmer switches,the lighting is for a lionel train platform.thanks for your help,rich

2 3way switches and 2 lights [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to wire two lights and two 3 way switches? What I have is 12/2 going to a switch and from there I have 14/3 going from switch 1 to light 1 and from light 1 I have at 14/3 going to the 2nd switch. The ground and the red traveler pass all the way through. From there I have...

How to wire a combination 2 single pole switches [ 2 Answers ]

I bought an exhaust fan and a combination 2 single pole switches(cooper 271a) Im replacing a single pole switch with just a black and white wire How do I do this

Lights and switches [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago we went to replace the bulb in my sons closet and it wouldn't work.. so we never got aorund of calling a electrician yet.. thinking it might be the wires where you put in the bulbs... well the light bulb was out in my laundry room last night so I replaced it and went to cut it on...

View more questions Search