Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NYCdisabled Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
    SSI disability benefits and illegal drug use.
    I am a single mother of two adult children. I have been receiving disability benefits for the past 10 years. In late 2007 I was diagnosed with FMS or fibromyalgia syndrome. I have been treated unsuccessfully with three three typical medications for my condition. I've read of people suffering from the same ailment, claiming that Marijuana has greatly improved their quality of life. Now my question:

If I decide to try this "alternative therapy", or if information comes back to the Social Security Administration that my blood/Urine has tested positive for the use of marijuana, will my benefits be in danger?

I am well aware of any criminal aspects involved with possession of marijuana; my state is NY, and from what I have read, possession of small a amount of marijuana for personal consumption is essentially decriminalized ( citation ), also my financial situation would generally limit me to small amounts at any given time.

In Most of the research I've done on this subject, I've only come across situations where a person was denied benefits because of their marijuana/alcohol use. I have yet to come across a case involving a person already receiving their benefits. My $600 per month isn't a lot, but it's all I have.

I appreciate you're your time looking into this.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCdisabled View Post
    If I decide to try this "alternative therapy", or if information comes back to the Social Security Administration that my blood/Urine has tested positive for the use of marijuana, will my benefits be in danger?
    Hello NY:

The Social Security Admin is NOT a police force. Therefore, you don't have to take UA's to qualify, and your benefits are NOT in danger.

That is, of course, unless you're required to take UA's for ANOTHER reason that you're not telling us, then THAT would make a difference.

If you get prosecuted, your benefits may be in danger, but I doubt it.

excon
    NYCdisabled Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello NY:

That is, of course, unless you're required to take UA's for ANOTHER reason that you're not telling us, then THAT would make a difference.

excon
    No particular reason, I usually get blood work done every 6 months from my primary care provider, And I am unsure of their reporting criteria in regards to reporting drug use to the social security administration.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCdisabled View Post
    And I am unsure of their reporting criteria in regards to reporting drug use to the social security administration.
    Hello again, NY:

You can be assured that your private physician is NOT secretly testing you for illegal drugs, and does not secretly work for the DEA or Social Security.

However, since the Patriot Act, one can't be sure who IS or who ISN'T a cop. So, I'd ASK your primary physician these questions. If he IS drug testing you, I'd find another doctor.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 11:58 AM

20 CFR Part 404

Here is the link for what the government deems the rules for Disability Payments. I read pertinent parts of this site and there is nowhere stated about drug use curtailing or ending your benefits. It does state where the benefits can be stopped due to non compliance of drug treatment of the problem that led the person to receive disability payments.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0468.htm This is for people in jail or prison not receiving benfits.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0470.htm This is the link for the drug treatment individuals not completing drug programs.

And no, your doctor does not test for drugs when he does his blood work. FMS or fibromyalgia syndrome and the medications you take need to be monitored by your doctor to see if you have any liver or kidney functions impaired by these medications.

Just don't inform your doctor about trying your alternative medicines.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 02:18 PM

You could also discuss having your doctor give you a prescription for medicinal marijuana; bring along the information you've gathered showing that others have benefitted from it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA disability benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can my VA disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt ?

Income Tax on SSI Disability Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My husband receives Social Security Disability Benefits. We file a joint return. My husband is 63 and I'm 49. It appears to me that we keep paying taxes on his ssi disability due to my income... is this true? He does work part- time, but stays below the minimum requirements, and he has extra...

Disability Benefits Denied [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently collecting disability benefits from Social Security. I am also collecting disability benefits from Mutual of Omaha through a group policy provided by my previous employer. I bought an individual policy on myself through my employer from a company called UNUM/Provident. I have been...

N.J. Disability benefits taxability [ 1 Answers ]

My wife recently filed for NJ disability benefits while recovering from hip surgery. Her employer deducts for NJ SDI. The payments she received did not deduct any NJ state of Federal withholding taxes. Are the disability benefits received from N.J. exempt from federal and state withholding taxes?

Garnishment of VA Disability Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado. Can you explain how the garnishment system works? Doesn't the company issuing the garnishment have to notify the person before the money is just taken. Can 100% VA Disability Benefits be garnished? My boyfriend had money from his bank account garnished without any notice. ...

View more questions Search