Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RavensLoft Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 07:02 AM
    My husband has past insecurity issues
    Here is a quick summary:

My husband has been previously married. Bad relationship, hated his wife and cheated on her constantly, but only stayed in relationship because of children. Thought he was doing the right thing. When he left her he ended up in a relationship with a woman that he was going to marry but caught her cheating on him... first with the man then on websites.

We have been together for almost 6 yrs. And in that time every fight that we've had, always ended up with him comparing what his past "bad expierences" to me. I am not like those kinds of women, but yet he has an issue he plays a judge, jury and convictioner with me telling me that our relationship is over because I was doing something I wasn't supposed to. I'm an avid web'surfer,and I enjoy digging to see what I can find to read. Our first issue was because I would talk with friends in the internet because it was cheaper than the phone. My friends were women. He blew a gasket and we had a big fight. So, I ceased talking to them via internet to avoid this conflict. His main issue is if I am up or get up at a late hour and I am on the net, he will come in and swear up and down that I am doing something that I'm not supposed to do. During a big fight yet again, I flat out asked him if he thought I was doing something wrong and he told me yes. And because of that he wants to end our marriage.

He won't change, I have tried to talk to him about getting help, but his pride gets in his way. I'm totally at a loss as what to do anymore. I have been a housewife all my life, and I have been in a previous failed marriage as well. But his insecurities hurt. Why can't he give up the past?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 6, 2009, 02:07 PM

I'm sorry that he's putting you through this.

Though he's being stubborn now, he's to the point where he needs professional counseling to help him let go of his burdens. Its not fair for you to get all the blame and resentment that he's built up over the years.

You know how best to talk with him, so you'll have to find a way to tell him that its time for couples counseling. Perhaps if you go together, it will make him more comfortable in the beginning. In time, I think he would need individual counseling to help him resolve insecurities.

Unfortunately, he has to want to do this for himself and for your marriage. If he continues to refuse, consider asking a pastor, friend, or another loved one to help persuade him.

Good luck to you
    chowder3 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 05:33 AM

Once someone has been burned before it is pretty hard to forget, those wounds run deep. When you guys do fight is it just little arguments that blow out of proportion? He may just be looking to pick a fight with you cause he still has those past issues that he can't quite deal with, if you have never given him any reason to believe you are like those in his past then I don't see how he would compare you to it.

Good luck.
    mobsterforever Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 07:42 AM
    I was the same as your husband. I have been burnt so many times by my first wife of 12 years. I put up with it for are kids. But when she got pregnant by another man that was it. Then dated for awhile and was burnt. I remarried and then found out my wife had 3 affairs. Now I have come to spected it. I have been the same way with my wife for the things other women did to me. It has caused problems with this marriage. She kept on telling me I'm not those women. But she did have 3 affairs on me. I could not let go. I thought all women are like this. Specially military wife's. I forgave my wife but could not still let go. Finally, I sought councling and trying to move on. Been doing pretty good and I'm still seeing councler once a month now instead of 5x a month. Until your husband realizes he needs help and stops thinking nagative it will always be the same. Do a lot of praying.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2009, 07:02 PM
    This is an extremely difficult situation because you're dealing with another person's fears and insecurities. In some ways, it doesn't matter what you do or say it will always be viewed through his conviction that all people cheat and lie in relationships.

If the marriage is important to him, then he needs to go to counselling.

It's really convenient for him to keep hassling you about what he perceives that you do wrong, because then he doesn't have to change himself.

It's time to turn the heat back on him.

Ask him what he's prepared to do to support and save the relationship.
    Ask him if he's prepared to take some of the blame for the arguments upon himself.
    Ask him if he's prepared to seek the assistance of a therapist so that he can understand and control his behavior.

This is the big test for him - is he prepared to examine and change his own behavior?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What am I supposed to do when my husband can't get over the past? [ 5 Answers ]

When I meet my husband I wan't that into him or any other man for that fact. I was content just living my life without one. I know that I was a little mean to him in the beginning, but he was persistent and finally won me over with his patience and kindness. When I finally fell in love with him,...

Husband won't except my past [ 3 Answers ]

My husband won't except my past, which I thought he had, I knew that he had mixed feelings about, but thought that he got over that. Now everything has blown up in my face. He accuses me of not getting over all that happened to me in my life, but he is the one that keeps bringing eveything up and...

Insecurity with flirting husband [ 5 Answers ]

Insecurity with flirting husband-- my husband has this thing about flirting with every cute waitress that waits on him whether I am around or not. To the point that the waitress starts hitting on him. How should I deal with this. I have spoke to him about how uncomfortable I am with it but he...

Can't get my heart past second husband [ 10 Answers ]

:( :( I am in my fourth marriage. I would have to tell you my life story to tell you how I got to #4. I used to think my second husband John was my soulmate. I loved him very much and still do. Alcohol was the factor in our split. My life has been what I call a living hell since our divorce. ...

He Has Issues with My Past [ 12 Answers ]

We are in a wonderful relationship and we have almost everything a real couple would want to build a foundation for marriage, and we do amazing things together and love each other deeply - but he has a strong problem with my past. He asked me about my past early on and I agreed because I thought...

View more questions Search