Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2006, 09:02 AM
    No sound on TV
    We moved the TV. It was unplugged for a day or two and then put back in the same location. It was never dropped or anything. Now the sound does not work. The picture is still perfect but no sound. There is a sound coming out of the TV though. It is almost like a faint grinding kind of sound. Not a hiss or squeel. It is kind of odd but that is all there is for sound. Any ideas?
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 7, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Check that all of the cables are plugged into the back of the TV. I'm assuming you do have satellite or cable. Make sure that the cables you screw in are all the way screwed in and all the color coated cables are int the right color outlet, especially the red and white ones. And just to be sure, check if you accidentally hit mute. Tell me how it turns out.

Even if you have an S-video connection I still suggest plugging in the audio cables if all else fails.

Aug 12, 2006, 07:52 AM
    I have a cable connection and there is no problem with that. If I disconnect that completely, the sound is the same as when it's plugged in. The sound that there is is coming from right in the back of the tube. It sounds like what a plastic gear would sound like if it was missing or something. Almost a grinding sound.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
    If you have plugged in a S-Video cable, you should still plug in the other audio cables. Check that the vcr or dish connections are okay (assuming you have them), or that the cable ports aren't wiggling around. I once had the same problem with my vcr. The port was loose, so we glued it down.

Aug 16, 2006, 07:44 AM
    I am not using a VCR or anything else. I have no audio cables. The only thing plugged into the TV is the one coaxial cable wire. There is no problem with wiring or connections. The problem is the sound inside the TV itself. I don't even get the usual hiss you would normally have if the cable was unplugged or cut off and you had snow on the TV. I get no sound from the TV at all except for the grinding type sound.

Is the TV done? That is my guess.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2006, 07:48 AM
    What it sounds like is wiring inside to the speakers got disconnected. Does the TV have a jack for headphones or external speakers? If so, then I would connect something to see if you get sound.

If you do, then its defintiely just the speakers within the TV. This would probably not be an expensive repair, but you should be able to get estimates from a repair shop. If there is an external jack that works, you could just attach a set of speakers to it.

Apr 1, 2008, 11:16 AM
    I just sold mine on eBay to someone who must know more about them and wanted to fix it. Wasn't worth it for me to try and fix...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2008, 06:22 AM
    A Stereo Cable converter can be used to get the sound, hook the output of the converter to an Amp, the video to the TV.
    This is last resort, if Problem in TV.
    If capable, measure resistance of speaker, maybe around 8 ohms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Got a Toshiba TV with scarts from DVD and cable. Picture OK but no sound. If I record on DVD then it plays back with sound. Everything OK when ordinary aerial used. VHS is OK with wire connection Any advice much appreciated. Cheers, Fred

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

No sound [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hp Pavilion 542x model which recently crashed. I did not have the recovery discs so I had to boot off an XP pro disc I had. Everything is working fine now except for the fact that I have no sound and I don't know where to get the drivers from. I know the sound card is integrated into the...

Sound? [ 1 Answers ]

Well.HELP! I accidebtally removed the sound device(I guess that`s how you call it) from the programs so I can`t get my windows media player to play!I can`t see any videos or so... HELP PLEASE!

NO SOUND after sound card install [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new on here I have a HP tower.. just installed a beefed up sound card in it and it doesn't work.. made sure all connection are good.. and installed the program.. now it won't work at all.. please help me someone?

View more questions Search