Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unfortunate Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 02:14 AM
    Excessive body-hair
    I am a 26 yr old unmarried guy, and have been struggling with excessive hair all over my body. I know that if I Google on this, I will find plenty of answers, and believe me, I have read most of them. But so far, I have not found a solution to my problem. All the websites keep suggesting the same hair-removal techniques like laser, electrolysis, waxing, etc. etc. But I am too afraid to try any such thing, and I don't even have that kind of money to try such costly surgeries.

I have almost accepted my fate, and even-though I do feel depressed when I go for a bath and see my body full of hair, or feel ashamed when someone comments about the excessive hair, I can not do anything. I have a decent height, and an athletic body, and sometimes think that I would have gone to gym and would have build a decent body, if I didn't had the excessive body-hair problem. I love swimming, but have not been to a pool since I was a child, again only because I am ashamed of people commenting on the body-hair.

By excessive body-hair, I really mean that it is way too excessive. I have hairs about 2 inches long all over my back and chest, as well as on my hands and legs. I also have hair all over my neck, and have a very coarse beard. I don't know whether this is hereditary, but I assume it is not because my parents didn't have excessive body-hair. In fact I was growing pretty normal in my early years, but on one unfortunate day, I met with a terrible accident, and had a severe fracture in my legs. I did not suffer any other injuries besides that, but I was operated for the fracture, and had to stay in hospital for 2 months and take several antibiotic medicines. Since that year, my body hair started growing, and I was just about 12 yrs at that time. I don't know if my excessive body-hair growth is due to taking too many antibiotics or something else, but I am forced to believe that it is due to that.

Matters got worst for me 4 years back when I just decided by chance to pluck a few hairs out of my eyebrow. Even though I stopped plucking them after sometime, but my eyebrows started getting thicker and thicker after that. To my surprise, even my eye-lashes started getting extremely thick, and I didn't knew what to do about them. And very recently, I have started losing my head-hair (I'm getting bald from front). My situation now is such that I can never wear a round-neck t-shirt, since my back hairs and chest hairs would all make my situation miserable, and I can not enjoy my life at all. I have considered going to a doctor for consultation, but I did not go only because (1) I was afraid that the doctors too would laugh at my situation rather than understanding how I feel (2) I do not have that kind of money to consult and get treatment from a dermatologist.

As I already said, I have accepted my fate as it is, and am trying to live with it, but every now and then I feel that if my life could have been normal, I too could have lived it happily. I will appreciate if someone has a suggestion to this, or if someone who has faced such situation can guide me towards some sort of treatment. I know that many people who will read this will laugh at it, and will find it funny, and might also leave fun-making comments, but please try to help if you can, since you don't know how much it really hurts.
    kingkongster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unfortunate
    I am a 26 yr old unmarried guy, and have been struggling with excessive hair all over my body. I know that if I google on this, I will find plenty of answers, and believe me, I have read most of them. But so far, I have not found a solution to my problem. All the websites keep suggesting the same hair-removal techniques like laser, electrolysis, waxing, etc. etc. But I am too afraid to try any such thing, and I don't even have that kind of money to try such costly surgeries.

I have almost accepted my fate, and even-though I do feel depressed when I go for a bath and see my body full of hair, or feel ashamed when someone comments about the excessive hair, I can not do anything. I have a decent height, and an athletic body, and sometimes think that I would have gone to gym and would have build a decent body, if I didn't had the excessive body-hair problem. I love swimming, but have not been to a pool since I was a child, again only because I am ashamed of people commenting on the body-hair.

By excessive body-hair, I really mean that it is way too excessive. I have hairs about 2 inches long all over my back and chest, as well as on my hands and legs. I also have hair all over my neck, and have a very coarse beard. I don't know whether this is hereditary, but I assume it is not because my parents didn't have excessive body-hair. Infact I was growing pretty normal in my early years, but on one unfortunate day, I met with a terrible accident, and had a severe fracture in my legs. I did not suffer any other injuries besides that, but I was operated for the fracture, and had to stay in hospital for 2 months and take several antibiotic medicines. Since that year, my body hair started growing, and I was just about 12 yrs at that time. I don't know if my excessive body-hair growth is due to taking too many antibiotics or something else, but I am forced to believe that it is due to that.

Matters got worst for me 4 years back when I just decided by chance to pluck a few hairs out of my eyebrow. Even though I stopped plucking them after sometime, but my eyebrows started getting thicker and thicker after that. To my surprise, even my eye-lashes started getting extremely thick, and I didn't knew what to do about them. And very recently, I have started loosing my head-hair (I'm getting bald from front). My situation now is such that I can never wear a round-neck t-shirt, since my back hairs and chest hairs would all make my situation miserable, and I can not enjoy my life at all. I have considered going to a doctor for consultation, but I did not go only because (1) I was afraid that the doctors too would laugh at my situation rather than understanding how I feel (2) I do not have that kind of money to consult and get treatment from a dermatologist.

As I already said, I have accepted my fate as it is, and am trying to live with it, but every now and then I feel that if my life could have been normal, I too could have lived it happily. I will appreciate if someone has a suggestion to this, or if someone who has faced such situation can guide me towards some sort of treatment. I know that many people who will read this will laugh at it, and will find it funny, and might also leave fun-making comments, but please try to help if you can, since you don't know how much it really hurts.
    Hello mate I'm a 23 yr male and have the same problem I recently went to the docs about this problem and he was really good about it and offererd me a blood test to see if I have excessive testosrone levels I'm currently waiting on the results, I have tried waxing and it hurts like hell! But does last a few weeks I know I haven't given you any answers but I wanted to let you know your not alone cause I know how much it gets you down
    unfortunate Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 12:39 AM
    Hi kingkongster, I am aware of the fact that I am not alone in this world. But it is just very hurting (and I am sure you know what I mean by that), and depressing to say the least. I will appreciate if you can post an update of your blood test. Also, if possible, can you tell me how much did it actually cost for the consultation and the tests and other medications?

Did the doctor tell you that if the problem is related to excess of testosterone, it can be cured with medicines without any other side effects? And if yes, did he mention about the cost?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but since I can not spend much on the cure, and I am not ever sure if there is a cure for this, I am curios to know if there exists one or not.
    nauluck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Hello.. hair like this can be heridetary and differ from different cultures. Suppering with excess hair as a woman, laser hair reduction is the best thing possible. Even if it won't get rid of the hair completely it will be reduce it by loads! The doctors will be able to help with blood tests too for an explanation for the excess hair.
    randomguy19 Posts: 81, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Hey dude... You aren't alone. I myself, am VERY VERY hairy and I'm only 19. I've been hairy since the 6th grade. I use to get made fun of growing up because of it. Just today alone someone mentioned my hair on my arms. The cost to remove it is crazy.. I haven't been swimming since a child either. I'm scared that I will never find a girl because of this. In fact I want to join the army but I'm scared the will make me take off my shirt. We are on the very same boat... Everything you are saying I can greatly relate too. I'm surprised I actually found someone that's going through the same stuff. I really wish I could wear a tank top without having to worry and get laughed at, with awkward stares.. I guess there is only one thing we can do in such a situation, something that you seem to be already doing, and that is to accept it. Sure we will get stares, laughs, and negative comments from people but whocares.. Let them laugh... I know it's hard to do but just try. This is what I'm trying to do now. Hopefully one day the technology will increase and prices will decrease. Best of luck man...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 01:07 PM
    I don't know if this is of any help but my best friend loves hairy men. She won't look twice at a guy unless he is 90% covered in hair.
    randomguy19 Posts: 81, Reputation: 3

Apr 26, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Do you also have a problem with neck hair? I shave my neck almost everyday
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Sep 27, 2007, 01:36 AM
    If you are still reading this...
    Take Emland's word. There are adult internet fan clubs just for hairy guys. You just have to find someone who really likes hairy men and believe there are many! You might think you are hairy until you join such clubs, then you will start feeling jealous from the other guys who are hairier than you! If you are not into women, a lot of gay men also drool over hairy men so keep smiling.. you just have been hanging with the wrong crowd.
    As for a solution if you can't afford laser hair removal I suggest you leave it the way it is because when you shave it it only gets thicker and when coming out again you will be scratching like crazy.
    As for me, I used to have the same problem and I have been following a laser treatment for years now, and it works. If it doesn't go 100% at least it is greatly reduced. So I suggest if you try what I said before and you are still not happy, to save some money and go for it. Forget the blood test thing, it's all hereditary. Aren't other men in your family hairy as well?
    Ps: I know a good Yahoo adult group for hairy men so if you are interested let me know;)
    Summerjacket Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 01:12 AM
    Hello; I too have been suffering from an extreme case of excessive body hair for quite some time, since about the sixth grade in fact. I have found over the years that it can indeed be a pain to deal with.
    I am , however, aware of several treatment and causes for the problem:
    Cushings' Disease: This is a syndrome in which a benign tumor grows at the base of the brain applying constant pressure to the petuitary cortex causing realease of the stress hormone cortisol in excessive levels. The treatment for such is indeed surgery for the removal of the tumor or tumors and can in many cases be performed orthoscopically (through a tube) and recovery time can be minimal.
    Excessive testosterone: This occurs when the brain signals to the testes to produce testosterone in excess, this can cause liver problems (diabetes), baldness (enhances cortisol production causing the de-activation of folicular membranes), excessive body fat and or muscle production. (Your baldness leads me to believe that this is your problem, along with your one-time use of antibiotics.) This can be treated with hormone therapy and if a tumor is causing the problem surgery. The hormone therapy is akin to (don't be frightened) chemical castration in that it serves the same purpose (albeit to a much lesser degree of course), the treatment when administered over time can reduce excess hair while possibly brining back what you once had on your head. Both are often times covered by health insurance and (considered to be a chronic ailment or dysfunction).
    Another possible fix is a little, albeit rather pricy home treatment system called, rather campishly, the NONO!Hair. It is a small handeld device that uses Randiance light therapy to signal the nerves at the hair folicle to shut off, allowing for the release of the hair from its root, over time reducing the thickness and growth of the hair itself: online, $250. It comes with I believe a three month trial period in which all you pay for is the shipping, (Google Shop it, you may find it for less), I have found myself that it works rather well, it does take time and dedication, including some minor skin issues that clear up and eventually stop. Try it, and please, don't be discouraged.
    WatAmeSS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 03:23 PM
    I tired laser hair removal on me, I don't think it works, hair came back after an year; even American FDA doesn't consider it as permanent hair removal solution. But they say is electrolysis is permanent, HAS anyone inquired abut electrolysis? Or has some one spoke to a dermatologist; I think (* It might be embarassing) one of us should talk to nice dermatologist (in south you will find good docs) and take his advice... I'm sure if they have treatment anywhere in world it would be available in INDIA as well.
    What about those lotions (Hair inhibitors) and those hand held devices?

Guys Don't loose hope and never stop believing...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hair folical body hair vs hair on head [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have had testing done for a while I tested positive from hair from my head although I did not use. I then tested from my body hair and came back negative. The head hair was 90 to 100 days back and the body test was back almost twelve months. I wish to find out which is the more definitive...

Excessive use of name [ 7 Answers ]

Is there a hidden meaning behind someone who uses their dates name excessively in a conversation? As in, beyond saying it when greeting, getting their attention etc but to use it in every third sentence or so... I find it a little strange but if anyone can shine some light on the matter and advise...

Excessive Lease Breakage Fees? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi - I rented an Apartment in PA and signed a six month lease back in Jan with the explicit intention of not renewing it. I never received any notice from the landlord asking me if I wanted to renew the lease or move out, and I assumed I did not have to do anything for the lease to expire. ...

Excessive Noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have complained for two (2) weeks about neighbors playing loud music in their apartment keeping me up past 2 am to my apartment manager; but every time I complained she told me there was nothing she could do about it. One of my neighbors complained that I was stomping on the floor at 11:05 pm...

Body hair [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have this question what do girls like? Do they like hair on chest, Legs, arms, and all over the body. And pubic hair

View more questions Search