Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwieser Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Heat pump thermostat using Aux heat
    I have a heat pump with electric Aux.

When outside air temp falls below 35 deg, the compressor almost runs continuously trying to reach set point. The Aux heat wouldn't activate until the room temp falls 2 -3 deg below set point.

This scenario makes for rather uncomfortable temp swings

I would like to find a thermostat that has an adjustable timing algorithm which will kick in the Aux heat if the heat pump does not reach set point within the specified time.

I believe that turning on Aux heat for a few minutes would not be too much more expensive then the wear and tear and cost of the heat pump when approaching 100% duty cycle. This is especially true since I previously was on 100% electric heat.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Most heat pumps are all out at 35 degrees.

Look at the Honeywell programmable selection in the link below and see what you can find that will suit your need.

Default - Honeywell Environmental And Combustion Controls

Look under select home products. Then thermostats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement of Carrier Heat Pump Thermostat with Honeywell TH6000 series thermostat. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Series 50QT Electric heat pump that still uses the original non programmable thermostat. I am trying to replace it with Honeywell TH6000 series programmable thermostat. The wiring on the existing Thermostat as follows: O - White, I am thinking this is the Reversing Valve? Y...

Thermostat for a heat pump [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Florida now and my outside AC unit is also my Heat Pump. The outside AC unit and the inside heat exchanger are new. My question is about the inside thermostat. It has a heat setting, a green auxiliary light, and also an emergency setting with a red light. When set on emergency heat the...

No Heat After New Thermostat From Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

I had a company come and replace the thermostat last year. I thought it wasn't heating because of the fan not working, and I relaced motor, fan, and capacitor. Well, it is not heating this winter and I think it is because of the way the thermostat was installed. It is a Smart Way Solutions...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump thermostat Aux. Light is going on when no resistance heat used. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maple Chase SaverStat thermostat on a Lenox heat pump. The thermostat and heat pump are ten years old. Recently when the heat pump comes on the Aux. light on the thermostat also goes on (not the emergency heat light). I have checked and the auxiliary heat strips and they are not heating...

View more questions Search