Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bree1978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Will IRS take my taxes?
    Hi there. My wages started getting garnished last August. (student loans) Will the IRS take my return? I file married jointly with my husband, who is the head of household. I have called the IRS tax intercept phone number to see if my social security number is flagged, and its says its not. Not sure if I should trust that though. Please help! Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 05:42 PM

Are the payments now caught up to date?
    I don't think they would if you are not behind in payments,
    bree1978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 05:57 PM

They take 15% out of each check, and they will be for a long time. They aren't up to date, they are still in the garnishing stages. I just don't know if I should trust the IRS info phone number, Im nervous!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 06:44 PM

Opinion, I would not trust it, I would guess there is a good chance it is flagged,
    I say this only because that is where they usually first go to get the money.

But in the end, there is nothing you can do about it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
    Your husband CANNOT file as Head of Household unless you did not live with him for the last six months of the year.

You must either file Married Filing Separately or Married Filing Jointly.

If you file MFS, you tend to lose certain credits that you get filing MFJ, so you need to file jointly and compled Form 8379 to allocate the deductions credits away from you and towards your husband.

That way, the IRS will NOT take the entire refund, but just the portion that is allocated to YOU.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a 1099 self employed taxes and taxes in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone . I had a few tax related questions . My husband is pretty much self employed , he is a permanent resident of the united states etc. we live in Georgia . We wanted to know how do we file a self employed tax paper and how do we figure the precentages we are a family of 4 . With 2...

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

Estate taxes and gift taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir and executor of my late step Dad's estate. I sold the house as is for 155,000.00 and there waere two accounts totaling 20,000.00 plus two CDs totaling $8,000.00. Do I pay taxes on this? The estate tax is in IL and I live in CO. Also, if I give my brother and sister each...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search