Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wakkoguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 04:37 PM
    Water inlet to ice maker leaking
    I have a frigidaire (frt18il6ds4) that was causing me problems (frozen ice maker tube) so I started prodding around and found out that the tube coming from my water supply was leaking at the copper coupling (not sure if that is what it is called). So I went out and purchased a new one and replace it and now it is leaking even more whenever the water is turned on. What do I do to stop the leaking? I took off the water inlet (not sure if that's what it is called, it is blue and has a power chord attached) and warmed it in case it was also frozen. Help!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Hi Wakkoguy:

Is the compression coupling brass (1st pic.)?

Are the hoses plastic?

If both cases are true then you need special inserts (2nd pic.) that slip into the plastic tubing before installing the compression sleeves (3rd pic.) and compression nuts (last pic.).

Let me know more here...

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 2, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Wakkoguy:

Is the compression coupling brass (1st pic.)?

Are the hoses plastic?

If both cases are true then you need special inserts (2nd pic.) that slip into the plastic tubing before installing the compression sleeves (3rd pic.) and compression nuts (last pic.).

Let me know more here...

MARK
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I am using all of those except for the first one. I think I am going to go back to Lowe's and get a different set or something. The one I bought came with the brass fittings for my plastic hoses but were already assembled.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 09:15 AM
    If you purchase a compression coupling (1st pic.) and use the rest of the fittings pictured that should connect all this together without issue.

Otherwise, if you are working with plastic tubing you could also purchase a PUSH TYPE compression coupling. It is the one in the middle of the pic. Below. These can be white/off-white or black. This type coupling simply requires you to push the tubing deep enough to set and all set. They NEVER fail!

Be sure to purchase 1/4" compression... :)

Do not use PIPE DOPE or any thread sealants on these fittings.
    Attached Images

Feb 2, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    If you purchase a compression coupling (1st pic.) and use the rest of the fittings pictured that should connect all this together without issue.

Otherwise, if you are working with plastic tubing you could also purchase a PUSH TYPE compression coupling. It is the one in the middle of the pic. below. These can be white/off-white or black in color. This type coupling simply requires you to push the tubing deep enough to set and all set. They NEVER fail!

Be sure to purchase 1/4" compression...:)

Do not use PIPE DOPE or any thread sealants on these fittings.
    I wasn't using a compression coupling before, should I? I'd have to buy more tubing because the plastic tubing goes right into the water valve (do I need to replace the water valve also?)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Boy..you must think I'm nuts! I thought you had a leak in the hose itself... not sure where I lost you, but I lost you!

If I understand you right, then the solonoid valve (see picture) where you attach the hose to refrigerator is leaking huh..

If the solonoid valve itself is leaking then the valve will need to be replaced... need model number and serial number to get correct part.

If the compression fitting to the valve is leaking I say you cut the hose if possible and start over with new insert, compression sleeve and compression nut. I think the trick here is not to overtighten the compression nut.

Otherwise I may need you to post a pic. So I can see what's happening.

Let me know more now that I think I'm on the same page with you.

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 2, 2009, 06:07 PM
    I'm glad we are now on the same page ha!
    The water is coming out from the top of the brass compression fitting. The actual valve is not leaking. Does that mean it is just the fitting and not the valve?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 06:11 PM
    That means that is should just be the compression fitting or even the tubing itself at this point. Cut the pipe back an inch, clean cut and start over again. Do not overtighten and see what happens.

Solonoid valves don't freeze... usually!

Good luck!

Feb 2, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Ok, maybe I'm stupid or something... but I put on the brass coupling, then insert the sleeve into the tube, then put the ferrell on. I finger tighten then tighten with pliers half a turn. When I turn on the water the tube comes flying out and there is water everywhere! Isn't the ferrell supposed to stop that from happening? Is my ferrell messed up?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 04:36 AM
    Wakkoguy... Hand-tight plus a half-turn is not enough. Tighten compression nut another turn or two, test again, and if necessary, tighten more.

If that fails to fix, I would have you cut the tubing off... say an inch or so... if there is plenty of slack in the tube, bring it to home depot or a local hardware store and purchase a new sleeve, ferrule and nut...

After tightening hand-tight, go one or two more full-turns to tighten... may need to tighten even more. Just do not bottom out the threads and overtighten... ok?

Try this and hopefully you're all set.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Washer Water Inlet Valve [ 1 Answers ]

I suspect that the water inlet valve on my Maytag top loading washing machine should be replaced. The machine will not dispense hot water. Cold water only is dispensed when the warm or cold wash setting is selected. However, no water is dispensed when the hot wash setting is selected. Before...

Leaking water supply line to ice maker [ 1 Answers ]

The water turn off valve to our ice maker is leaking in the basement. How can this be fixed?

Ice maker water inlet valve connection [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to replace my water inlet valve of my referigrator ice maker. I am confused with the electric connection. The +ve or -ve is not marked on the referigrator side or valve side. Please advice how to find this. Or Is it OK if I connect it anyway? Thanks Sam

Toilet water inlet leaks [ 4 Answers ]

The 18" brass tubing on the water inlet has a crack right at the angle stop. Big crack, big leak when the valve is open (no leak when the valve is closed). Can this tube be replaced without solder/welding? This home was built 14 years ago (fixture age). I've heard speedball say there should be...

View more questions Search