Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shayausten Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Water heater burning smell
    I have a Whrilpool water heater that is only 3 years old. I noticed a burning smell and smoke coming from the panel on top. We opened it and found burnt wires. I called an electrician and he cut the wires back and put new caps. He said it was nothing to worry about and charged me 50 dollars. It is now 3 weeks later and I noticed the smell again. I thought I had been smelling it today it was stronger so we opened it up. I found the cap over the wires was black and melting again. What is going on? Also, I am not sure if this is related but last night the lights went out in my bathroom. Something tripped the breaker. The water heater is on the same side of the house in the same breaker box.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 08:23 PM

Time to call the electrician back(or a different one). Sounds like a wiring problem. Could also be a bad thermostat on water heater, or a bad element in water heater. Many options that may cause the problem. Either way, you are experiencing electrical problems. You may even call in a plumber, and they should be able to find your problem. Something is not right here, and I suggest you get if fixed asap, before you burn down your house. Please let me know what is found. I will try to help further if you want, but I really do suggest getting an onsight pro in there as soon as possible. Good luck and please keep me posted.

Jan 31, 2009, 09:02 PM

Should I call a plumber or electrician? Is it normal for something to go bad on a water heater that is only 3 years old? Should I just go buy a new one? I have the breaker to it turned off. I only noticed the burning smell after getting out of the shower so it was slowly burning the wires.
    drumerboy33 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2009, 05:59 AM

Your warranty should cover you on this one, go back or call the place you got it and explain to them what is going on, I strongly suggest a new heater no matter what, this is a dangerous situation, turn off the power until you can get this resolved... mike
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Hi all:

I'm unsure if we are talking about wires at the JUNCTION BOX on top of the water heater or talking about the top front panel where one of the elements and thermostats are?

In terms of the smoking wires I would have you call another electrician in and check to see why the wires burned through the cap. Have him check this all the way back to the main breaker (fuse) panel and see if there is something else going on INSIDE the panel.

Bad thermostats and bad elements will not MELT WIRE CAPS at the junction box (I think you called this a TOP panel) of the heater..? ;)

Let us know what he finds.

MARK

Feb 1, 2009, 08:50 AM
    On the top of the water heater is a box that is an energy smart control system. Inside that box there are two wires that connect to the main power coming in. One black and one red. Where the two black wire connect is where the problem is. The red cap over those two wire is black and melting. That is what is burning. Should I go out and buy a new heater today? I cannot find the serial number on the heater. I called Whirlpool and they say it is on a white sticker. The sticker has faded the numbers. They guy says I am out of luck. I really hope it is just something with the water heater and not the wiring in my house. Anybody have any advice or more questions. Any help would be great. I just do not know if I need electrician or plumber since the first electrican did not fix it and I do not want to waste more money.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 09:24 AM
    In my opinion.. if the water heater is not leaking and is only 3 years old there is no need to replace the heater here. Sounds like the energy smart control may be the issue.

Call a good electrician and have the paperwork that came with the water heater handy. The electrician may want to call Whirlpool and see if he can get a new energy smart control panel for you. I'll also bet he may be able to figure out the serial number.. if you are lucky!

Good luck...

MARK
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 05:23 PM

I'm with Mark on this one. No need to spend the money on a new tank. This should be an easy fix for an experienced tech that can put tester to leads.

Feb 2, 2009, 06:15 PM

I had the electrican come back out today. He checked all the wiring and could find no problem. He said the voltage was 21 coming into both when we turned the water heater back on. He checked the breaker box and found nothing wrong. He is puzzled as to why the wires are getting so hot on just the one and not both. I did get whirlpool to agree to send me a new power saver box for the top. We are hoping that maybe there is some short in that which is causing it to get so hot at times that it is mellting the cap connecting the wires. Of course Whirlpool says they do not think it is the box but the connections. The electrician says the connections are fine. Who knows.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Sounds like the correct plan of action to me... ;)

Good luck!
    thom1969 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
    Well this answer maybe late, but I have a whirlpool water heater and it was doing the same thing. It is just a standard 40 gallon heater, but come to find out I have aluminum wire from the breaker box to the heater and in my research and a person I know that retired from the power company said do not hook cooper wire (that is on the heater) to aluminum. You have to get a compound or a special connector to use or just run a new copper wire. Just remember to check what kind of wire is in house, I know I will now.
    southpointmo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 05:49 AM
    Did the new power saver box solve your problem? I am experiencing the very same issue.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 06:11 PM

Hi Southpoint...

The power box turns out to be the problem quite a bit, but to be sure this is your issue you'd need to have an electrician out to check the electrical connections... ;)

Can you tell us exactly what problem(s) you are having?

Back to you...

Mark
    felipe1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 05:45 AM
    This could be caused by the wires coming a bit loose from each other. This is why you will sometimes see wires nuts taped in place with electrician tape, so they don't work themselves loose over time. Loose wires arc and therefore burn. I am not an electrician, I'm a landlord, but I know that having the wire nut tight over the wires and staying tight is important. This would be one possible explanation for the unit working fine for a time and then suddenly smoking out of nowhere.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 9, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Hi felipe and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 3 year old dead thread . Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks, Tom Tom
    cazeer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2013, 01:42 PM
    I have the same problem with the wires melting. Let me know if your new panel fixes the problem.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 2, 2013, 02:17 PM
    Cazeer
    This old thread is so convoluted that no one knows what anyone else is talking about. Suggest that you start an new post under the Electric and Lighting category and explain what your problem is. While you are obviously talking about an electric water heater the problem an electric one.

Explain your problem completely and don't rely on someone else's description.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burning plastic smell when water is running - please help [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I posted a question earlier about smell from hot water, well it is in the cold water too and it definitely is NOT a sulfur/rotten eggs smell. The smell is a distictive burnt plastic smell and now is with hot and cold water. Please help! Thanks in advance, Rachel

Sewage smell in water heater closet [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a city row house renovated about ten years ago. There's an awful sewage smell that penetrates the ground floor, particularly in the closet that holds our hot water heater. The smell also seems particularly strong in the morning. We don't smell the scent near sinks or other dranks, but...

Burning smell? [ 3 Answers ]

Just about 2 hours ago we have notice a smell of something burning. It smells like it is coming from behind the refrigerator. The plug socket is not hot. Just the smell is bad! We have no idea what it is... help... We did pull the refrigerator out earlier this morning, now it it about midnight....

Gas Smell around Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a house. The inspector smelled gas and his detector indicated a gas reading around the Hot Water Heater. The sellers had a plumber check it out for a leak. They did a diagnostic test using a liquid soap solution around the gas line, going into the water heater. ...

Strange smell around water heater [ 11 Answers ]

There is a strange sewer-like smell surrounding the upstairs hot water heater in my house that is making me sick. The smell comes and goes and can be very strong and overwhelming. One plumber smelled it, but didn't know what caused it or what to do about it. I would appreciate any thoughts on...

View more questions Search