Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaLover22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 01:55 PM
    My new puppy won't eat
    Yesterday I got a new puppy from a puppy store... :)
    The only problem is that she won't eat the food (or water) that the puppy store gave us to give to her. :( She is only 5 months old and the only thing she will eat is cooked rice in the food that they gave us but even though we do that she doesn't eat the food she is soppose to.(The food that they gave us is called Eukanuba)We do not want her to get used to the house food or anything but we had to give her it for she can at least have something in her stomach. She is really shy and gets really scared when she hears noices. When we take her outside to do her thing she doesn't want to intill she really has to or just does it on newpaper we have for her.I don't know what's going on because she was eating perfectly fine in the puppy store (she even has a little bit of fat). What should I do to make her eat the food that she is suppose to with out the rice or anything else?And to drink water.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 22, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Do not feed the puppy table scraps; continue trying the food that was given to you. If in the event to puppy does not eat in 48 hours call your vet and make an appointment. I would call the vet anyway and get a healthy puppy check up. Most pet stores get their pet from not very nice places (Puppy Milling). I do not know any reputable breeder that will give their puppies to a pet shop to sell. I am not saying anything is wrong with your puppy, but to start healthy take you puppy to get checked out. Also if in the event you have questions and can not get an answer here you can research you question on PetEducation.com I hope this was in some way helpful to you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Lilfrye is right. It sounds like you are dealing with a poorly socialized puppy. She may be slow to adapt to new things, and may even be going through a fear stage. Give her as much attention as you can. Don't force yourself on her, but be available. If you don't want her up on the furniture, sit on the floor. Let her come to you if she wants to. When she relieves her self outside, praise her.

Do not panic over her not eating. I had a 5 month old Shepherd go 3 days on only a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. Tempting her with table food is a sure route to a fat, sickly, picky dog. At 5 months you should be feeding her twice a day. Start with what the package says. Eukanuba is a fine chow and it is best to stick to the same thing. I know a service dog school that feeds it to their priceless dogs.

Start with what the package says. Put it down dry for 15 minutes. Then take it up and do not offer her anything until the next scheduled meal. If she isn't eating in a day or 2, better talk to the vet. The store should have given you a record of her medical care. Take it along and let the vet see it.

Each vet has their own ideas on vaccinations It is best to go along with what the vet wants for all but the most knowledgeable dog owners. Mine is a bit of a fanatic, doing more than the dog guide school recommends.

I don't take time to check websites others post. I have no reason to doubt lilfrye chose a good one.
    paradoxlie Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Apr 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaLover22
    Yesterday i got a new puppy from a puppy store... :)
    The only problem is that she won't eat the food (or water) that the puppy store gave us to give to her. :( She is only 5 months old and the only thing she will eat is cooked rice in the food that they gave us but even though we do that she doesnt eat the food she is soppose to.(The food that they gave us is called Eukanuba)We do not want her to get used to the house food or anything but we had to give her it for she can at least have something in her stomach. She is really shy and gets really scared when she hears noices. When we take her outside to do her thing she doesn't want to intill she really has to or just does it on newpaper we have for her.I don't know whats going on becuase she was eating perfectly fine in the puppy store (she even has a little bit of fat). What should i do to make her eat the food that she is suppose to with out the rice or anything else?And to drink water.
    Hello ChihuahuaLover22

Can you tempt her with human food? I'm talking about small bits of cooked chicken, cooked vegetables like carrots, other low-fat but high-nutrition foods? Ordinarily I don't believe in using human food except in very small quantities as rewards and even then only the healthiest foods, but a chihuahua doesn't have a lot of reserves, so it's important to get calories down them on a regular basis.

Was she fully weaned and eating normally before you got her? She should have stayed with her mother for at least eight weeks and been on some sort of solid food before she was taken away. Will she take canned food? Will she take it more readily if it's warmed up slightly to improve the smell and taste?

Is she having a reasonable fecal output relative to what she's taking in? Does she seem distressed or uncomfortable after eating and/or when she has to go? Has she been checked for an intestinal problem, maybe she has a sensitive stomach or allergies to something in the food? Does she drink water? Maybe she's drinking too much water so not room for food?

I realize I'm asking a lot of questions and maybe giving not many answers. This is the kind of question that is so hard for me to answer, mostly what I do is try to relate it to my experiences with my chi's and those of my fellow chi owners.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Hmmm. Ummm. paradoxlie, I know you are new to the site. I am trying to find a nice way to point this out to you but, there really isn't any way to do it except to come out with it -- this posting is over a year old. I hope to kiss a duck that her baby is finally eating! Now look at my picture to see what happened when I read this. You made my hair stand on end! :) LOL

I always find it helpful to check the dates. I try to answer posts in the dog forum that are within the past week or so. Other forums, I use my judgement, depending upon the issue. I usually never answer anything that is over a month old. If you need any tips or advice and can't find it under the members forum, just PM me. Always happy to help.
    jhurney5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull View Post
    hmmm. ummm. paradoxlie, I know you are new to the site. I am trying to find a nice way to point this out to you but, there really isn't any way to do it except to come out with it -- this posting is over a year old. I hope to kiss a duck that her baby is finally eating! Now look at my picture to see what happened when I read this. You made my hair stand on end! :) LOL

I always find it helpful to check the dates. I try to answer posts in the dog forum that are within the past week or so. Other forums, I use my judgement, depending upon the issue. I usually never answer anything that is over a month old. If you need any tips or advice and can't find it under the members forum, just PM me. Always happy to help.
    Rubypitbull- How should I put this ? Oh you... Get over yourself!! I found Paradoxile's answer to be quite helpful in spite of the fact that his response was a bit tardy. When people like me are looking for help, answers like his are quite useful. :p
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurney5 View Post
    Rubypitbull- How should I put this ? Oh ya ...Get over yourself !!!!! I found Paradoxile's answer to be quite helpful inspite of the fact that his reponse was a bit tardy. When people like me are looking for help, answers like his are quite useful. :p
    I realize that you are knew to this site, and you probably didn't read the rules, so I'm here to give you a bit of advice.

Opening dead threads is against the rules, if you look at the top of the page you'll see that this thread was started in 2006 and the original poster hasn't ever come back. By posting on this thread you have bumped it up to the top of the list and people will think it's a new thread and therefore needs immediate attention.

It's recommended to look at old threads to find an answer to your question, but please don't revive the thread.

Thank you and welcome to AMHD.
    AnswerWizard123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull View Post
    hmmm. ummm. paradoxlie, I know you are new to the site. I am trying to find a nice way to point this out to you but, there really isn't any way to do it except to come out with it -- this posting is over a year old. I hope to kiss a duck that her baby is finally eating! Now look at my picture to see what happened when I read this. You made my hair stand on end! :) LOL

Do you really? Well I don't give a toss how old a thread might be as long as there's something useful in it that's relevant to the issue I am trying to research. So, to echo the guy who correctly put you in your place GET OVER YOURSELF.

I am trying to find a nice way to point this out to you but, there really isn't any way to do it except to come out with it... you're a muppet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't eat [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 13 week old Dachshund and Monday she started acting like she wasn't feeling well, by this morning she hadn't eaten or drank anything so I took her to the vet. They put 150cc's of fluid subcutaneously and gave her a shot of antibiotic, the thought was she may have a bladder infection...

New Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I have an eight week old dachshund puppy that I've had for three days. This moring I noticed a very small amount of blood in her stool that she passed at the very end. How serious is this? Thank you, Kelly

Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

We have took in a stray puppy so we do not know all of her habits, we took her to the Vet right away because she had ticks & flea all over her when she wondered into my husbands work. The vet gave her shots, and said she is about 8 weeks old. My questions her skin is very hot to the touch on her...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

New Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old dog (scrappy) a kitten (tuxeda) and a cat (amber) and I just got a new 3 month old shepherd mix (kaden). Scrappy gets along fine with Kaden but my cats won't come downstairs how can I get them used to the new addition to the family? Its only been 2 days so maybe they just need time...

View more questions Search