Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Funny-Fani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Can a 16 year old girl marry a 22 year old guy?
    Hello my name is estefania. I'm latina and I am sixteen years old and I would like to know if a sixteen year old can marry a twenty two year old guy? And if yes what is needed for the wedding? By the way it's a civil wedding.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2009, 12:28 PM

This depends on where you live. In most states a 16 yr old can get married but only with parental permission. However, I would be skeptical of a 22 yr old wanting to marry a 16 yr old.

I would strongly urge you to wait. If your love is strong it will stand the wait.
    speel00 Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jan 20, 2009, 12:35 PM
    No, you can't without your parents permission. They would have to sign a document for it to be legal
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 02:09 PM

Why would you want to get married at 16? Are you pregnant and this is a way to prevent him from going to jail for statutory rape or what?
    Funny-Fani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This depends on where you live. In most states a 16 yr old can get married but only with parental permission. However, I would be skeptical of a 22 yr old wanting to marry a 16 yr old.

I would strongly urge you to wait. If your love is strong it will stand the wait.
    Thank you for your advice. We have talked about it and yes we will wait. If we have been together for three years already I think we can handle more. I really appreciate your comment. And he is a very good guy he has respected me all the way through, his family is pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Why would you want to get married at 16? Are you pregnant and this is a way to prevent him from going to jail for statutory rape or what??
    Thank you for answering my question. I want to marry him because I love him. We have been dating or going out for three years already. No, I'm no pregnant we have respected each other since we met. I am not thinking of getting pregnant this young because my dream is on playing professional soccer some day, and I know that if I get pregnant I will ruin my life. We have thought about our marriage and we will wait. But thanks anyway. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speel00 View Post
    No, you can't without your parents premission. They would have to sign a document for it to be legal
    Okay. Thank you for answering my question I really appreciate it. I found out the same information at the clark court of where I live, but my boyfriend and I have thought about it and we will wait.:)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2009, 09:28 PM

That is good you decided to wait and you sound mature enough to make rational decisions instead of thinking with your hormones.

To answer your question about requirements it depends on the state you live in
    Basically you will need proof of citizenship/residence and proper ID
    Some states require a blood test
    You have to apply for a marriage license and then there is usually a waiting period or a time limitation that you need to marry by.

Jan 31, 2009, 06:17 AM

I'm sorry, but this bothers me. If you have been dating for 3 years that means he was a 19 yr old dating a 13 yr old. And that is wrong on many levels. Since you seem to be mature with a level head on your shoulders, I have to wonder what is wrong with him.

I also have to wonder about your feelings for him. How much experience have you had that you can really tell that you love him.

Not only do I urge you to wait, But I urge you to BOTH see other people. Again, if this is a real, true love, then it will pass that test. If it isn't you want to know it now before you marry.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:52 AM

I am not sure that I agree with seeing other people because if you are really in love that can put a strain on any relationship. While your situation is not common it is possible. The problem is that today's generation wants instant everything and they 'fall in love' too easily and fall out of love even easier because they didn't base a relationship on good values and reality. Back in my grandparents day it was common for 15 yr olds to marry somewhat older guys but they had a different value system then. I do hear of this type relationship working today but it is very rare.
    But as Scott said How much experience have you had that you can really tell that you love him.
    Many 'couples' say they love the other person but they don't even have any idea what the other wants out of the relationship, goals, expectations, etc...
    Like they get married on I love you's alone only to find out he is outgoing and wants to hang out with his friends way too much and leave her sit at home.
    He wants a house in the city and no kids or pets while she wants a house in the country with lots of kids and pets. He wants her to work while she planned on staying at home raising kids, etc...

Jan 31, 2009, 06:55 AM

In another thread we have an example of a 17 yr old who married her JHS sweetheart. She went on to get a college degree and is now looking to divorce him and move out of state. But because they have kids her ability to move is restrained. These are the type of things you need to deal with when you marry too young.
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    In another thread we have an example of a 17 yr old who married her JHS sweetheart. Se went on to get a college decree and is now looking to divorce him and move out of state. But because they have kids her ability to move is restrained. These are the type of things you need to deal with when you marry too young.
    Exactly so it is important to discuss the future in as much detail as possible. When one goes to college or an out of state job and the other can't go along it does put a strain on the relationship so all these things need planned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal for a 24 year old girl to date a 17 year old girl? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it legal for a 24 year old girl to date a 17 year old girl in Michigan?

Can a 16-year old girl date a 21-year old guy in GA? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and I wanted to know if it was illegal for my boyfriend to be 21 years old. I know that the age of consent in Georgia is 16, but what exactly does that mean... does that mean that me and him are able to date each other?? I've read that the age gap can't be more than 4 years, so...

Boyfriend needs US citizenship, but must wait a year to marry. [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, so this is what is happening. I met this guy last December that was here on student Visa from Haiti.. I fell in love with him, and I want to marry him, but religious beliefs make it so I can not marry him for at least another year.. He moved to another state to live with his family while we...

I am 19 year old and love a 14 year old girl [ 8 Answers ]

I'm a 19 year old guy and love a 14 year old girl. The girl is one of my dad's best friends daughter. Both our parents know this thing. They have no problems. We both stay far apart . I amn't dating her, but I keep thinking of her all day and I know she too does. But thinking of her age and...

Bought a Roth IRA for 08 (single) will marry by end of this year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm single and bought a Roth IRA the first of this year for 08. By the end of this year I will be married, what are my options concerning this particular Roth purchase?

View more questions Search