Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miriam Nahary Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Hair Steam
    Hi,
    My name is Miriam, I’m a mixed race woman and I have a very dry hair.
    I just bought a hair steamer for my personal use and I want to know:
    1 – How many times a week should I use it?
    2- When I use it, should I put intensive treatment mascara, hot oil or nothing in my hair?
    3 – Should I wear a shower cap, or wrap my hair with foil or nothing?
    Thank you very much for taking your time to read and answer my question.
    All the best,
    Miriam.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 15, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Hair steamers are used to add moisture into the hair. Shampoo your hair and then apply a deep conditioning treatment. After that, place a plastic cap over your head and sit under the steamer for 20 to 30 minutes. If your hair is dry or damaged, you can use the hair steamer twice a week to maintain a healthy moisture level in your hair.
    heavenleegh Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Sweetheart:

You do not use a plastic cap with a hair steamer, how will the steam get to the hair. I have a steamer and have had my hair steamed professionally and no plastic cap is used. Just use a deep conditioner and sit w/o a cap for 15-30 min depending on the condition of your hair.

All the best
    Heavenleegh
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 16, 2008, 10:26 PM
    A plastic cap or plastic shower cap can be used when steaming the hair. This will help lock in additional moisture and replenish the hair. It's not nice to abuse the rating system.
    precious Ebony Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Aug 1, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    Hair steamers are used to add moisture into the hair. Shampoo your hair and then apply a deep conditioning treatment. After that, place a plastic cap over your head and sit under the steamer for 20 to 30 minutes. If your hair is dry or damaged, you can use the hair steamer twice a week to maintain a healthy moisture level in your hair.
    Hi, I completely agree with you regarding steam treatments as I am a fully qualified hairstylist therefore I know that you must use plastic steam caps to lock in the moisture and benefit from the treatment. Thank you.
    gabbanagirlie Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Hello,
    I am also a professional stylist and I own a high end salon in LA.

We do NOT use caps for our steaming sessions. The logic behind that is lacking. The benefit of a steamer is to have the vapor penetrate the cuticle, open it and allow more efficient absorption of whatever conditioner/treatment you are using into the hair shaft.

If you use a plastic cap- the steam will not get into the hair cuticle, it will not penetrate the shaft, and it will not improve the absorption quotient of conditioner. You would essentially be doing the same thing as any regular deep conditioning treatment under a hooded dryer.

No steam to actually penetrate the hair = no additional benefit.
    I'm a little bewildered as to how people rationalize the use of a cap, when the benefit of steaming, is in the steam itself.

GG

Jan 29, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady View Post
    A plastic cap or plastic shower cap can be used when steaming the hair. This will help lock in additional moisture and replenish the hair. It's not nice to abuse the rating system.

Why use a steamer at all then? Why not just a regular hooded dryer?

Jan 30, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Your most welcome Miriam. We know as professional and qualified stylists that you DO require a plastic cap which you can purchase from hairdressing supply store, these are thinner as these are specifically made for the purpose of steam treatments. Thank you and I hope this has helped. Have a wonderful day x

Jan 30, 2009, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbanagirlie View Post
    Hello,

We do NOT use caps for our steaming sessions. The logic behind that is lacking. The benefit of a steamer is to have the vapor penetrate the cuticle, open it and allow more efficient absorption of whatever conditioner/treatment you are using into the hair shaft.

If you use a plastic cap- the steam will not get into the hair cuticle, it will not penetrate the shaft, and it will not improve the absorption quotient of conditioner. You would essentially be doing the same thing as any regular deep conditioning treatment under a hooded dryer.

I'm a little bewildered as to how people rationalize the use of a cap, when the benefit of steaming, is in the steam itself.

GG

We think you will find that the steam and treatment WILL penetrate the cuticle of the hair more efficiently with the benefit of a STEAM CAP. The steam caps which are used specifically for hair treatments are substantially thinner than most plastic caps. Therefore allowing the steam from the steamer to penetrate the hair and also enhance and lock in more moisture than WITHOUT a cap. You will also find that you will not obviously have the same effects if you use a hooded dryer.. as we all know that a dryer is exactly that a DRYER... not a STEAMER.

ADDITIONAL STEAM TO PENETRATE THE HAIR = FAR MORE BENEFITS.

why would you not use a steam cap... without a steam cap your allowing the steam to escape?

Jan 30, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by precious Ebony View Post
    We think you will find that the steam and treatment WILL penetrate the cuticle of the hair more efficiently with the benefit of a STEAM CAP. The steam caps which are used specifically for hair treatments are substantially thinner than most plastic caps. Therefore allowing the steam from the steamer to penetrate the hair and also enhance and lock in more moisture than WITHOUT a cap. You will also find that you will not obviously have the same effects if you use a hooded dryer..as we all know that a dryer is exactly that a DRYER...not a STEAMER.
    ADDITIONAL STEAM TO PENETRATE THE HAIR = FAR MORE BENEFITS.
    why would you not use a steam cap....without a steam cap your allowing the steam to escape??
    Using steam caps decreases the amount of steam that is actually available to the hair in the first place, so you combated the issue of steam escape.. but now you have less steam in contact with the hair in the first place.

I use specific steamers on my clients- steam escape is no issue. And I'm referring to hooded hair steamers. Sure steam escapes, but as some steam escapes, more is constantly being produced by the steamer. What kind of steamers are you all using?

At my salon we use the Takara Belmont Micro Mist
    Here's a video on how to use it:

Takara Belmont Micro Mist Video

It's a wonderful investment.

You will also find that you will not obviously have the same effects if you use a hooded dryer..as we all know that a dryer is exactly that a DRYER...not a STEAMER.
    Well when you block the steam from entering the hair, you're only left with heat and whatever moisture is already on the client's hair from washing it and from the conditioner. Pretty much a dryer at that point. All that wonderful steam, those negatively charged ions- nicely blocked from clients hair, to lock in moisture huh? Right. :rolleyes:

Honestly- under a recommendation from someone, we tried the caps thing when we first got our fleet of steamers. The results simply do not compare. We also use the Pibbs Vapotronic Steamers in addition to the other one that I mentioned. The benefits of going capless aren't only limited to the Takara (which does have more of an enclosed hood around the clients head)- even the Pibbs without an enclosing hood like Takara yields excellent results.

Many higher quality steamers also impart negative ionic charge onto the hair while steaming. Yeah that's effectively blocked by a steam cap.

Just try it I won't say I told you so- promise ;).

Also, contact a couple hair steamer manufacturers and see what they actually recommend. :)
    shawndadee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2009, 08:19 PM
    Using steam caps decreases the amount of steam that is actually available to the hair in the first place, so you combated the issue of steam escape.. but now you have less steam in contact with the hair in the first place.

I use specific steamers on my clients- steam escape is no issue. And I'm referring to hooded hair steamers. Sure steam escapes, but as some steam escapes, more is constantly being produced by the steamer. What kind of steamers are you all using?

At my salon we use the Takara Belmont Micro Mist
    Here's a video on how to use it:

Takara Belmont Micro Mist Video

It's a wonderful investment.

Well when you block the steam from entering the hair, you're only left with heat and whatever moisture is already on the client's hair from washing it and from the conditioner. Pretty much a dryer at that point. All that wonderful steam, those negatively charged ions- nicely blocked from clients hair, to lock in moisture huh? Right. :rolleyes:

Honestly- under a recommendation from someone, we tried the caps thing when we first got our fleet of steamers. The results simply do not compare. We also use the Pibbs Vapotronic Steamers in addition to the other one that I mentioned. The benefits of going capless aren't only limited to the Takara (which does have more of an enclosed hood around the clients head)- even the Pibbs without an enclosing hood like Takara yields excellent results.

Many higher quality steamers also impart negative ionic charge onto the hair while steaming. Yeah that's effectively blocked by a steam cap.

Just try it I won't say I told you so- promise ;).

Also, contact a couple hair steamer manufacturers and see what they actually recommend. :)

I would like to know the best.. To use the cap or not... I will invest in a $200.. hair steamer.. should I use steam cap or not!

Thanks
    Shawnda

Jan 31, 2009, 08:09 AM

Thank you for your response and many thanks for your information it was very helpful and with great interest I will invest in these steamers it also saves money on buying the steam caps. Thank you again and have a great day.

Jan 31, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Thank you for your response and many thanks for your information it was very helpful and with great interest I will invest in these steamers it also saves money on buying the steam caps. Thank you again and have a great day.
    You're very welcome! :) We had to bite the bullet with our steamers, as they are pretty expensive, however the return on our investment has been amazing. Clients love it!

Jan 31, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndadee View Post
    I would like to know the best.. To use the cap or not... I will invest in a $200.. hair steamer.. should I use steam cap or not!

Thanks
    Shawnda
    As I mentioned in my post, we prefer capless with our clients. The results are remarkable.
    BonafideStylist Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2009, 12:16 AM
    Hello,

GG

Your answer makes a great deal of sense. In that the steam must encounter the hair, otherwise it's just heat. Same as a hooded dryer or a heat cap. I am looking into purchasing my on for the salon. It won't be anything as advanced as what you have, but I wonder if you know about other steamers? Does a lot of steam escape, will it invade the space of others in the salon? The salon I'm in is small. 6 stations and can tend to get crowded.

I really want a steamer and I found pretty good one for about $188.03 it goes from 250 to 350 up to 600 watts.

Hopefully you will get this. You seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area. Any help that you can give is appreciated. :D

May 28, 2009, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BonafideStylist View Post
    Your answer makes a great deal of sense. In that the steam must encounter the hair, otherwise it's just heat. Same as a hooded dryer or a heat cap. I am looking into purchasing my on for the salon. It won't be anything as advanced as what you have, but I wonder if you know about other steamers? Does a lot of steam escape, will it invade the space of others in the salon? The salon I'm in is small. 6 stations and can tend to get crowded.

I really want a steamer and I found pretty good one for about $188.03 it goes from 250 to 350 up to 600 watts.

Hopefully you will get this. You seem to have a lot of knowledge in this area. Any help that you can give is appreciated. :D
    Here are some steamer options in the ~$200ish range.
    Hair Steamers & Processors- International Beauty & Barber Equipment
    http://www.excaliasecrets.com/produc...oducts_id=4284
    New Vertical Electronic Hair Steamer

You shouldn't have too much of a problem with steam escape. Many steamers are vented in a way that the vapors are moved through the top/rear of the hood. Even those that aren't don't release so much as to disturb nearby customers. I've actually found the visual effect of the steamer to be an intriguing aspect for customers who've never tried a treatment. They want to know what the steamer is, and what it does. Good for business!

Hope this helps!
    GG

May 28, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Here are some steamer options in the ~$200ish range.
    Hair Steamers & Processors- International Beauty & Barber Equipment
    http://www.excaliasecrets.com/produc...oducts_id=4284
    New Vertical Electronic Hair Steamer

You shouldn't have too much of a problem with steam escape. Many steamers are vented in a way that the the vapors are moved through the top/rear of the hood. Even those that aren't don't release so much as to disturb nearby customers. I've actually found the visual effect of the steamer to be an intriguing aspect for customers who've never tried a treatment. They want to know what the steamer is, and what it does. Good for business!

hope this helps!
    GG

Yes actually it does help, thank you. What's funny is I ordered mine and it came today. I put it together before leaving the salon. A couple of other stylist's client were already asking about it. I turned it on just to see how much steam escaped and it looked fine, it felt great too. I can't wait to start using it.

I hear it's great for treatments and color, is it semi or demi perm color or can I use it on permanent color as well?

Thanks for getting back to me. :)
    missjae09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 06:40 AM
    I am african american who is transitioning from relaxed hair to non chemically treated hair. My stylist who specializes in the treatement of natural hair uses a steamer on my hair with a plastic cap and I LOVE the results.. which is why I'm looking to get one for at home use.

Jul 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
    She isn't suppose to use a plastic cap. I contacted the company and processing caps aren't nedded. Teh mist is actually suppose to penetrate your hair. That's the whole purpose for using a steamer.

We use caps when using dryers because it keeps the hair moist. A steamer produces a mist that penetrates the hair shaft. gabbanagirlie posted a few links and there's a video that actually shows how they should be used.

BTW I saw the personal ones for home use on Amazon.
    sharna Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2010, 06:46 AM
    Wayyy children chill everythings done differently as long as the out come is the same, I do a 9 section perm by doing middle up then the sides - still its effective, maybe Miriam can try both any see what one she prefers - cap or not OR go to her local hairdressers and ask for a second opinion :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Steam Temperature [ 2 Answers ]

What is the steam temprature at 10 bar pressure Thanks Mazen

Steam and HDPE [ 1 Answers ]

What is the effects of steam on the properties of HDPE?

Water to steam [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Could Some One Help Me With My Home Work Im 13 1.100 Gramms Of Water Boiled Into Steam How Many Gramms Of Steam Would Be Formed 2. 5 Gramms Of Salt Is Dissolved In 100 Gramms Of Water;what Would Be The Mass Of The Salt Solution Formed? Cheers Adam

Hair treatment-steam [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I go to a gym that has a steam room. Is it a good idea to put a treatment in the hair while there, would it benefit even more if a put a plastic cap, or just without it?

Self Esteem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I hope you can help me in this, How can I improve the self esteem in someone I really care about, He is having some difficulties facing the life because of that . Thank you Sara :confused: Hi I post this Q? Few days go ,and till now I did not get any reply, I really hope that...

View more questions Search