Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brian Smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Rheem Furnace light troubleshooting
    I have a Rheem Criterion II gas furnace. Unit starts and runs okay most of the time. However it will stop firing up occasionally and will go into 1 hour lockout mode. In an hour it will fire up or when you open unit which automatically reset it. It will them fire up okay. What is causing unit to work properly sometimes and not others?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Does the unit have status LEDs? If so, they would likely be visible through an oval-shaped viewer in the blower access panel, and a service label would be found inside same panel.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 05:29 PM

First easy step to take is locating flame senser, remove, clean with sandpaper, steelwool, sandcloth, or any abrassive cloth,, then reinstall and see how it works. You have a rheem, this means you have two green lights and one orange light located on the control board inside furnace. There may or may not be a looking glass cover one the doors. If there is, and you can see the lights with doors on, then tell me if the orange light is on steady or is it blinking(once flame comes on). If there is no looking glass, then remove bottom door, then hold the door safety switch in and watch the lights as the furnace cycles. Let me know what you find.

If flame lights, and orange light is flashing, then you need to clean flame senser. I will walk you through this if this is the problem. Or I will help you locate other problems if possible.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
    I have a Rheem Criterion II gas furnace. Unit starts and runs okay most of the time. However it will stop firing up ocassionally and will go into 1 hour lockout mode. In an hour it will fire up or when you open unit which automatically reset it. It will them fire up okay. What is causing unit to work properly sometimes and not others?
    Cleaning flame sensor
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the pics hvac.

HI Brian.

The flame senser you are looking for looks like the one in Hvac's second pic. It is L shaped, but the mounting bracket is different. Don't confuse it for the igniter. It should be on the left hand side of burners, one 1/4" sheetmetal screw holds it in place. You will have to remove screw and twist senser to get it out. Some people try to clean it without removing it but it is very difficult to clean it well without removing. Please keep us posted.
    Rivierajohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Flame starts and then quits once the fan kicks in, we have replaced the flame sensor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Control board rheem furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased a new controlboard for our rheem furnace but it is not exactly the same and the wiring diagram is not matching up like the old one, for instance with the old one the heat and cold wires are black and blue on the new one the diagram says balck and red. Why is it different, and is there...

How do you light the pilot light in a rheem power vent two? [ 1 Answers ]

Pilot light in rheem power vent 2

Rheem furnace will not run [ 5 Answers ]

Apparently no power at the transformer - is there a fuse somewhere. Model UCG 100-ER

Rheem Troubleshooting Codes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the Rheem Troubleshooting codes on a RGPH-12EAR JR. Or if you could tell me how to get the mannual for this, that would be great.

Rheem furnace [ 1 Answers ]

My Rheem furnace is showing a diagnostic red flashing light, flashing 3 times. I cannot locate the manual on the furnace. Does anyone know what the 3 time flashing red light means?

View more questions Search