Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Jan 26, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Shaking, whining, ears back, and rapid panting dog
    Molly is a female rat terrier and her birthday is 12/2/04. She's shaking, whining, her ears are back, rapid panting, and it seems as if her heart beat is going a million miles per hour. However, the worst is that when she walks she walks very slowly and when she sits she looks as if she's almost in pain. When she was laying down I rubbed on her feet and her legs, all the while she was shaking, but she whined when I pressed in at her hips. So, I'm thinking with all the jumping and running around that she does she might have bruised her hip.

However, earlier today we had the dry wall people come in because we're remodeling. There was lots of loud hammering noises. Maybe it stressed her out?

What do you guys think?

She's going to the vet tomorrow, but is there anything that we could do tonight to make her more comfortable.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 26, 2009, 07:19 PM

She could have breathed in drywall dust and it's affecting her nervous system. Could she have also maybe injested some by licking the floor? I would keep a very close eye on her. I don't think it would stress her out enough so she was having problems walking, and for her to be shaking so badly.

Has she drank any water or eaten anything after she started to do this? If not I would at least try and get her to drink as much as you can. Maybe wrap her in a warm towel? I don't know, I would be tempted to take her to the emerg. Vet if this doesn't stop. It just sounds really off to me, especially since you mentioned the drywall people. That dust floats and gets right into your lungs. Has she tried to cough anything up? Dogs have small lungs. I don't mean to scare you, but I'd be worried.

Jan 26, 2009, 07:35 PM

We had the dogs blocked off from the drywall area. So, they couldn't have ate it. However, she might have breathed it in, but she was the furthest away from the drywall. I was thinking if it was due to drywall, wouldn't the other four puppies have something with them? Her breathing isn't as bad anymore, and is fairly normal at this moment.

She's ate and she was drinking some water. She hasn't tried to cough anything up. Her ears will perk up when the outside dogs bark now compared to earlier. She doesn't feel cold or anything, but we keep blankets for them to sleep under.

I'm thinking it was the loud noise. If anyone in the house starts talking loud she'll hide under the bed, or if there's a thunder storm. I was cutting an apple and was banging it on the counter, without thinking that she was scared to death, and my mom said she just looked horribly scared.

She's going to the vet tomorrow as soon as someone wakes up in the morning. :\
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 26, 2009, 07:41 PM

Ahhh, okay. I didn't know you had 4 others. I just know that drywall dust is so fine that it can float for quite a distance, and get into all sorts of nooks and cranny's. The reason it worried me so much was because I had a friend who was a drywaller/carpenter, and always took his dog to work with him. His dog got very sick one time and he almost lost him, even though he wouldn't keep him in the same room when he was working with drywall.

So if she's doing better, and she is a bit of a skittish dog to begin with, then maybe you're right and it just did really freak her out with all of the loud noises. I didn't mention the warm towel because I thought she would be cold. I thought that it might help soothe her and calm her down.

Good luck at the vets, and let us know! :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 26, 2009, 08:42 PM

I was just thinking about this again, and wondered if she still looks like she's in pain when she walks or sits. I kind of brushed over that. Is she getting any better? Do you have any baby aspirin?---or maybe half of an adult aspirin would be fine if she looks like she needs it. That should relax her some, and help her if she is in any pain.

Edit: I didn't mean "maybe" it would be fine. I didn't write that the right way. Aspirin is fine for dogs. Baby aspirin is a little easier on their tummies. (as long as she doesn't have any other serious health conditions or on any other meds.)

Jan 26, 2009, 10:07 PM
    She looks really tired and we had to pick up the couch to get her out. I can't tell if it's pain or the I-did-something-wrong submissive look, since they're both about the same. She's nodding off to bed, so tomorrow we'll try the asprin if the doc doesn't give her anything/diagnose anything. Tomorrow we have more builders coming, but I'll keep her downstairs with me away from the noise and people.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 26, 2009, 11:24 PM

Good idea! Hope everything goes okay!

Jan 28, 2009, 10:07 PM

She's doing fine now. The doctor said she was fine, and it was probably due to high levels of stress. He didn't check her hip, because that's the first time she's ever showed pain there.

We called off the builders for a few days to calm her down. They have only one wall left for the drywall and I've decided to take her on her walk at that time.

We gave her the baby bed that has a warm up thing you can throw in the microwave, and a ticking clock. She really loved that. The following morning she was looking around, but mostly normal. Today she's running and jumping around like normal.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 10:51 AM

Is it possible to leave her at a friends house for the remainder of the renos? That would probably be best. If not, the walk while they work idea is great! :)

Hope she's okay and continues to be okay, some dogs just can't take a lot of commotion.

Jan 29, 2009, 02:16 PM

Well the only thing they need to hammer is the drywall. The day when she was acting like that was when they were putting up drywall the whole day. I took her out on a walk while they were hammering away, and came back in when they finished. She's doing fine and doesn't seem to mind the people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog with red itchy ears, shaking head [ 4 Answers ]

Over the past 6 weeks, my 3 yr old toy poodle (6lbs) has had itchy ears on and off. It started with both of my poodles on the same day. They both had very itchy ears, and kept us up all night scratching. 3 days later, I took the female to the vet to have hers looked in, and they said they only...

Panting dog [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine just moved off the street to another house. Her dog is about 11 yrs old. Roxie(dog) is not used to new house, he is only been in it for 4 days and she brought him to my house because she had to go out of town over the weekend. He started to pant and I thought he was having a...

Shaking and whining [ 1 Answers ]

For the last week my lhasa female dog has been waking me up during the middle of the night crying and shaking the only time I have seen her do this is during a thunder storm,she is very frightened when it storms.Why would she be doing this otherwise? She does not have to go outside I tried that. ...

View more questions Search