Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gkaczmarskyj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Replacing Honeywell T8411R - Correct Wiring?
    Hi. I'm looking to replace my Honeywell T8411R thermostat which runs my heat pump (NFCP3000C1 by International Comfort Systems) with the White-Rogers 1F85-277 Programmable Thermostat. My issue is that I'm not 100% sure how to re-wire the new thermostat.

The current wiring on the Honeywell T8411R is (have not removed from wall yet):

G - Green Wire
    C - Blue Wire
    R - Red Wire
    W1 - Jumped to "Y"
    Y - Yellow Wire

L - EMPTY
    W2 - White Wire
    E - Jumped to" W2"
    B - EMPTY
    O - Orange Wire

The White-Rogers manual says "R, C, Y, W2, G, O/B, E, and L terminals for single or two transformer systems".

I'm assuming I match R, C, Y, W2, G. But what do I do with O/B, E and L?

Of note, the instructions from the White Rogers also say the following two things that I'm not sure of:

(1) O/B TERMINAL SWITCH SELECTION
    The O/B switch on this thermostat is factory set to the “O” position. This will accommodate the majority of heat pump applications, which require the changeover relay to be energized in COOL. If the thermostat you are replacing or the heat pump being installed with this thermostat requires a “B” terminal, to energize the changeover relay in HEAT, the O/B switch must be moved to the “B” position.

Do I just leave Orange Wire connected to O or do I move Orange Wire to B?

(2) ELECTRIC/GAS JUMPER (Fan Option)
    If your emergency or auxiliary system will energize the blower,
    Then jumper, W904, on the thermostat base must be cut (see
    fig. 1).
    If your emergency or auxiliary heat system requires that the
    Thermostat energize the fan circuit, do not cut jumper W904.

Do I cut the jumper or leave it alone?

Here is link to White-Rogers Manual --> http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6175.pdf
    Here is link to Honeywell Manual --> http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/69-1037.pdf
    Here is link to Heat Pump Manual --> http://icpindexing.mqgroup.com/docum...9601410601.pdf

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 04:43 PM

Sounds like your old thermostat was wired a little quirky. Leave O/B selector in O position, and do not cut W904 jumper. Wire as follows: red to R, white to W2, yellow to Y, green to G, orange to O, blue to C. Install jumper from E to W2. L is unused.
    gkaczmarskyj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Sounds like your old thermostat was wired a little quirky. Leave O/B selector in O position, and do not cut W904 jumper. Wire as follows: red to R, white to W2, yellow to Y, green to G, orange to O, blue to C. Install jumper from E to W2. L is unused.
    KC - thanks for the quick response and guidance - very helpful!
    jsmith123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaczmarskyj View Post
    KC - thanks for the quick response and guidance - very helpful!
    Wait... what change was made? Just moving the jumper from W1-Y to W2-E?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell T8411R Thermostat Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Someone gave me this digital thermostat which was used & has no instruction papers. I have a Goodman Heating & A/C self contained unit outside for a mobile home. The old thermostat was a 4 wire system with a green wire on the G terminal, red wire on the RC terminal, blue wire on the Y terminal, and...

Wiring Honeywell thermostat T8411r to RTH3100C [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone. If you have an answer or even a suggestion, to my problem please let me know. I have been going crazy trying to figure this out. I am replacing a bad Honeywell (T8411r) thermostat. The LED lights went out and I could no longer see to adjust the temp. The HVAC unit worked...

Wiring Issues -Replacing Rheem Thermostat with Honeywell [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing a Rheem thermostat with a Honeywell 6300 for an electric heating/ac unit and I'm having trouble matching up the wire colors. The Rheem thermostat is one of the old ones with the mercury, so the wires aren't labeled only color coded. The Rheem thermostat has a yellow, blue, red,...

Replacing Honeywell T8411R with Honeywell RTH7500 - wiring problems [ 1 Answers ]

I need help getting my new, programmable thermostat to work. I currently have a dual-stage Heat Pump and A/C unit that works fine. The current thermostat is the Honeywell T8411R. I don't know the number for the subbase, but it's the one that came with the thermostat. The current (operational)...

Wiring question replacing Honeywell thermostat w/Hunter [ 0 Answers ]

I am replacing an old standard Honeywell thermostat (model T8034C) with a Hunter programmable digital model 44110. I have a 5-wire system. The wires are color coded and the Honeywell labels match the wire colors. Those are: White, Yellow, Green, Orange, and Red. THe only labels on the...

View more questions Search