Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristine36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 07:22 PM
    I dyed my hair & want to perm it
    In about september (maybe August) I bought a grocery store dye for my hair and I loved the way it turned out. Now I want to perm my hair but because I didn't have it professionally dyed I was wondering if anyone could tell me about how long I can or should wait before I perm my hair

Thanks!
    k
    EricaVonGore Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 09:00 PM

At least one month. You don't want to overwhelm your hair with too many harsh chemicals
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 25, 2009, 06:02 AM

Many people mistakenly believe that hair "heals" or "gets better" over time. That is simply not true. Hair has no blood supply (except at the root, but that doesn't get to the ends). If you damage it, it can't be repaired. Damage accumulates and eventually the hair shaft can break if it's damaged enough. Fortunately, hair can take quite a bit of damage before it breaks off and we usually cut it before that occurs.

A "professional" can often cause as much damage to hair as an "amateur". In fact, since they usually use heat to speed up the reaction, they often end up causing more damage to the hair than if you did it at room temperature, at home.

Most experts recommend against perming and coloring.

Bottle Blondes Board: Coloring and perming
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jan 26, 2009, 08:40 PM

Go to a salon and ask a few different opinions of stylists that are trained to make these judgement calls. I, myself, will not perm someone's hair if it is too damaged, not even to make a buck. There are many honest, qualified stylists that can look at the condition of your hair and tell you what to do. Go to 3 different salons and ask a couple of stylists at each one, but don't tell them you have consulted other stylists and just see what they say.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 18, 2009, 01:50 PM

What a shame that people who are "professionals" don't understand chemistry. "Hair Colors" are dyes, whether they're called dyes or not. In addition, "professional" hairstylists seldom know anything more than they were taught in school about coloring hair or how to "fix" damaged hair.

I stand by my advice that essentially all truly professional colorists recommend against both coloring and perming.

I am a professional also -- a Ph.D. Chemist. I know more about dyes than the professionals will ever know. I know about the strength of hair (and how it can be damaged) and the chemistry of the hair.

Professional hair dyes are not "better" than those available in "boxed" kits. The chemistry is identical. The ingredients are identical. Non-professionals can buy most of the same dyes (colors) at beauty supply houses. Those that they can't purchase can almost always be purchased online.

It is true that inexperienced people can damage their own hair -- by overbleaching, by overcoloring, and by perming on top of color (or vice-versa).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hair had a perm that went bad and is now really frizzy and dry. [ 5 Answers ]

The person that did my perm messed my hair up. Now it is really Frizzy and dry. What kind of products should I use to treat my hair. Or should I just cut it all off. My hair is down to past the middle of my back. Thanks

Hair disaster/perm [ 2 Answers ]

K so I have really long hair and I hate doing it in the mornings it takes me about an hour to straighten, and on top of that my starightener freaked out on me and is no longer working so I have to curl my hair like every day in order for it too look okay and I'm sick of it, I'm thinking about a...

Just got perm.add hair color ? [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a perm a couple days ago. Is it smart to die my hair?

How can I get rid of dark brown semi perm hair colour [ 2 Answers ]

Help me ! I have naturally blonde/ginger colour hair and I had it dyed as a semi permanent wash in wash hair colour which is dark brown and I'm fed up of it and want to go back to my original how can I do so without bleaching it as I have been told its really bad for my hair Desperatly want to...

Dyed Hair but to dark - have perm [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I got a perm about a week ago and my stylist said I could color my hair. I waited 4 days and used the same color I have always used but this time my hair is way to dark. Can you recommend something to use to lighten my hair without damaging my perm?

View more questions Search