Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
    Shower pan liner. Corners driving me insane.
    Hello out there and thanks for looking. I've been scouring the net looking for how to fold or cut corners for my membrane pan liner. I've already ruined 2 corners! My shower is an alcove style: 3 walls. The 2 back corners were easy as I had some space between studs to tuck the corners in but I'm at my wits end on how to do the corners by the curb. Im totally mystified. Ive seen what look like pre-made dam corners but don't know where to get them or how to make them. Please help, I'm stuck and frustrated...

Thanks.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 09:47 PM

My Home Depot carries this outside corners for $5.00 a piece. You can also make them yourself using left over material from the pan lining. I personally think it is bette to make them yourself. You have to be little creative and also use common sense. Overlap well, staple to studs, and glue each over-lapping flap well.

Jan 22, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Well since I already ruined 2 corners I guess I don't have much in the common sense area :) Can anyone else perhaps send me some good diagrams on how this is done please? Or maybe a how to article on it?

Thanks.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 10:17 PM

See if this may help you there are a couple of ways to do it

YouTube - Folding Corners in a Shower Pan Liner

YouTube - Installing a Shower Pan Liner

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 10:28 PM

Here is a clip from YouTube. Your Curb Fold starts at around 1:28

YouTube - Folding Corners in a Shower Pan Liner

Jan 23, 2009, 01:06 PM
    Guys, thanks for sending the links BUT unfortunately I'm still not getting a good idea of how to do this. The very end of the video clip falls short of explaining what I need to do. There's all this extra liner material I have, even with a cut and folding over onto the curb. I still have a pig-ear of material left over on the wall side of the alcove. I'm just looking to get a smooth, watertight corner. Not even sure how to make one of those patches. Sheesh it can't be this difficult right?

Again thanks for your patience.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 23, 2009, 05:28 PM
    There's all this extra liner material I have, even with a cut and folding over onto the curb. I still have a pig-ear of material left over on the wall side of the alcove.
    Those "pig ears" are the corners. They foldinand are nailed to the stud. Here is a detailed explaination:
    Mortar Bed Shower Floor for Tile Showers Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Jan 23, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Tom, I ended up making my own patch. The problem is that there's just too much material left over due to the pig ear and the curb and there's really no full corner. Ive seen all the videos and there's no way to do it without cutting material somewhere. I appreciate all the responses and help. Just got done gluing up the patches and waiting for them to setup before doing another water test.

Thanks everyone!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Your corners should be seamless. The only cut should be the flap that fits over the threshold. Is that bthe way it's installed? Regards Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Those "pig ears" are the corners. They foldinand are nailed to the stud. Here is a detailed explaination:
    Mortar Bed Shower Floor for Tile Showers Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    This is an excellent step-by-step link. Follow it and you should be fine...

Jan 26, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Well, I made my patches and water-tested over night and all seems fine. I just got done with wonderboarding the walls.

I am considering wonderboarding the curb/threshold and then putting one piece of marble across the top and inside/underneath. Is there a method for doing this?

Thanks.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 11:27 AM

Congratulations.. Yes, it takes bit of skill and creativity to manufacture the curb corner...

We put thin set on wonderboard and than "glue" it against the sides and top of the curb. You can nail it - but keep nails as high as possible - definitely not lower than 2" above the floor. Then lay marble threshold piece over the top of the curb over bed of thin set.

Safety tip: Be careful here. Marble is very slippery when wet. Make it a habit to step over it, not on it, when getting out of the shower...

Jan 26, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Milo, I can glue it right onto the pvc liner material? This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it move somewhat and not be stable? Right now the liner is wrapped over the curb. Can you please explain further on how to glue it to the liner/curb?
    sofarsogood Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 01:36 PM

A year after this question was submitted, I'm searching for the same, and all I find are incomplete answers, or references to the same small group of pages that somehow don't quite tell you. Those yuotubes stop a second before actually showing what to do with the corner. After further searches, here is a link that comes closer to the answer. I say closer, because the folds in the drawing at the side/curb joint are a physical impossibility (in the area above the pan floor, and below the top of the curb). So, here's yet another link. They also have a very different method for constructing a "dam corner"-they lay (glue) a complete piece over the top. I believe the Oatey corners could go on top of their rig, for a perfect joint. Try this: http://toolbelt.buildiq.com/tool-doc...owerPanSBS.pdf
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 03:40 PM

Installing PVC liner requires some basis skill and common sense. You can practice it in a paper box with extra piece of liner or large cloth. As far as the corners go you can actually buy them and glue them over the cut.

However, if you do not feel confident enough to do this job, you should hire somebody to install it for you. It takes 20 minutes. Should not be that expensive - and job will be done right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He is driving me insane [ 15 Answers ]

I asked my ex if he still had feelings for me. He said "i have some feelings yes" don't push the matter What does that mean? And then when I said do you still love me he said the same thing "dont push the matter" Yet he still said we can talk when I get back from my trip. Is there a chance of...

My mom is driving me INSANE! [ 3 Answers ]

So, my mom is a complete neurotic, every time I'm enjoying myself she has to barge into my room and tell me to clean it up, then when I say ten minutes or I'll do it in 5 minutes. She will start yelling and telling me to pick things up and start doing it for me, and its been driving me insane, and...

Everything is driving me insane! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I know this doesn’t seem like much but I’m seriously going insane! Well It all started when I got back to the school last year my "friend" chelo said how much of a great friend I was and I was like hehe:) then she started copying me, everything I said she would say after me and then she turned...

My husbands ex is driving me insane [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I begin? It is not possible to list everything but, here is a little. My husband and I are going through a hard time with various problems. The main one is his ex-wife. My husband is on probation, his charge was illegal discharge of a firearm. Come to find out, he should have never...

View more questions Search