Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eluke77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 04:52 AM
    Furnace fumes
    I am having some horrible smelling fumes blowing in from the furnace. Can you tell me if the fumes are hazardous and what I can do about it as there are four children in the home? The fumes are usually worse at night because the house is dormant and I am feeling uncomfortable and need to know the best recourse.:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 05:43 AM

Yes, the fumes can be extremely hazardous. You did not state if your furnace is gas, but I am quite sure it is. Would have this furnace venting problem looked at immediately. Carbon monoxide can build up in your home and cause serious problems if the vent is not functioning properly.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 20, 2009, 06:30 AM

Yes, please call someone ASAP to look into that smell such as an HVAC tech or the fire department to check for CO. You will kick yourself later if it is something serious.

Let us know how you make out and need additional advice.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 07:59 AM
    This is something not to fool around with. Call for service and have a CO test also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fumes in Home [ 7 Answers ]

I smell exhaust type fumes in my home. Could it come from the roof vents? What can happen if they get clogged up?

OSB fumes, for how long? [ 12 Answers ]

If I use OSB for the walls of a 10x12 workshed, with no interior sheathing... how long will I be breathing the fumes? Does it off gas a lot initially or is it steady over it's life. If I cover it with siding of some kind, does this prevent the off gassing to the outside and just channel it to the...

Fumes from boiler [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Burhanm Bo iler and in the last few days when I go to the basement I can smell the fumes of burned oil. What can I do to stop this?

Dangerous Fumes [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to be removing paint from brick in my livingroom. I am starting with easy off oven cleaner, a suggestion from this website. How toxic is this for my family? Do the need to be out of the house?

Furnace Fumes [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had our furnaces replaced due to a recent flood. Fuel spilled onto our dirt basement floor... and the fumes are horrible. I have had a migrane for weeks. Recently I started vomiting because of the stench. I bought some deoderizer and I have continually put it downstaires.. but it...

View more questions Search