Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annav505 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Defamation of character counter suit
    I filed a criminal suit for probable embezzelement along with a civil sutie for conversion. Now the defendant returns with a defamation of character suit. What does this mean and do I need a lawyer to defend myself.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 08:55 AM

The simple answer: yes, you should get a lawyer.

Judy will likely post this better than I, but defamation is hard to prove as they have to be able to quantify the damages. If they just try to state that you damaged their character it will likely be thrown out.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    The simple answer: yes, you should get a lawyer.

Judy will likely post this better than I, but defamation is hard to prove as they have to be able to quantify the damages. If they just try to state that you damaged their character it will likely be thrown out.

Absolutely right - this is NOTHING to be attempted without an Attorney.

Defamation goes to the intent and extent of the information.

Oh, good, a chance to quote myself (again):

"Briefly - Generally in law libel refers to permanent/written statements and slander refers to non-permanent/spoken statements. Defamation (of character) covers both categories.

You must be damaged - and prove damages - in order to recover. The statements (either written or spoken) must be false but presented as though they were true and be beyond offensive, derogatory or insulting. Such statement must rise to a level which actually harms a person’s reputation. In general the person making the statement must either know it isn’t true or make the statement without attempting to verify if it is true.

The defense to defamation is that the information was not presented as the truth (which covers gossip), that the information was never secret (privileged) and was always public."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defamation of character [ 1 Answers ]

How much to sue, my husband, in a defamation of character case

Defamation character [ 4 Answers ]

At my current employment I had another employee who had lied and tried to claim that I had sexually harassed her granted I am bi-sexual but I have never made any advances toward her or any employee there was an investigation launched and with my evidence and witness the charges were dropped however...

Can I file a slander, libel defamation of character suit [ 21 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex has repeatedly slandered me. I have not seen my boyfriends son in almost a year. He is not allowed to be near me because I said to him one day to go get his back pack and he said his mother said it was an overnight bag. I said yes it can be but did you ever use it as a back pack...

Defamation of Character [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if I can counter-sue for defamation of character and slander for this situation. I responded to a person's house who called police. Upon arriving there the person was uncooperative. He decided that he did not want the police there anymore and in order for him to shut...

View more questions Search