Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 11:58 AM
    How long to install Service Pack 3?
    I am wondering how long it might take to install Service Pack 3. I am trying to install it on another computer running XP, and it has been over an hour since it started and according to the bar it is about 1/2 done, but the blue bar hasn't moved in over 30 minutes. Right now it says "Installing SHIMG32.DDL". Is this normal behavior, or how long does it normally take to install Service Pack 3? I have been hesitant to install it, but a computer tech assured me that all the bugs had been fixed and that it is safe to install it now. Has anybody else had this problem installing Service Pack 3?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 12:11 PM

Depending on computer specs, this would be expected and especially if downloading from micorsoft site, I can say, let it go for a while longer and just be patient.

If this does end up failing, I would suggest, when you get PC started again (this may be tricky though if you cancel update)
    That's why I say, let it go and hopefully it will continue.

In future if install sp3, I would recommend to dodwnload sp3 to your computer and then run the update as a stand alone application as oppposed to using the internet to update, here is link for sp3
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows...ce-pack-3.html

Jan 18, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    depending on computer specs, this would be expected and especially if downloading from micorsoft site, I can say, let it go for a while longer and just be patient.

If this does end up failing, I would suggest, when you get PC started again (this may be tricky though if you cancel update)
    That's why I say, let it go and hopefully it will continue.

In future if install sp3, I would recommend to dodwnload sp3 to your computer and then run the update as a stand alone application as oppposed to using the internet to update, here is link for sp3
    Download Windows XP Service Pack 3: XP SP3 (Full package)
    Thanks for your response. I have been waiting over two hours now and the blue bar is still shows only about 1/2 loaded. However, an Application Error message now appears which says, "Exception EAccessViolation in module hookoecreation.dll at 0000EE30. Access violation at address 5780EE30 in module hookoecreation.dll. Read of address DDC20074". There is also an "OK" box to click on. I have clicked the OK box, but after a few seconds he same Application Error message reappears. I don't know what to do now. Should I cancel or what? Help!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 02:56 PM

If you have an option to cancel, cancel it.

See if you an reboot - This happened to me before my first time doing this - When I restarted the computer, it just stayed on a black screen and I thought it was corrupt, I just left it on and wlked away - later the installation seemed to continue.

Don't know what will happen when you reboot, but if youhave option to cancel. Do that.

When all resolved, sp3 is all right to intstall but as mentioned earlie, use the stand alone file posted above as opposed to using windows update

Pst back with what situation turns out to be

Jan 18, 2009, 03:05 PM
    If you have an option to cancel, cancel it.

see if you an reboot - This happened to me before my first time doing this - When I restarted the computer, it just stayed on a black screen and I thought it was corrupt, I just left it on and wlked away - later the installation seemed to continue.

Don't know what will happen when you reboot, but if youhave option to cancel. do that.

when all resolved, sp3 is alright to intstall but as mentioned earlie, use the stand alone file posted above as opposed to using windows update

pst back with what situation turns out to be
    Thanks again for your response. It is still apparently loading Service Pack 3, although it has been several hours now and the progress bar is still on about 1/2 way, no change there. It is loading a different file about every 30 seconds or so, mostly .ddl files. However, the cancel box is grayed out so there is no cancel or exit option. I don't know what to do now.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 04:13 PM

If you see it loading a different file about every 30 seconds or so
    Just let it go, a lot also depends on your system specs (ram, processor, internet connection) so as long as it is doing something, wait it out, may wake up tomorrow and it will be done. Only time will tell at this point.

Let me know what happens

Jan 18, 2009, 04:44 PM
    if you see it loading a different file about every 30 seconds or so
    Just let it go, a lot also depends on your system specs (ram, processor, internet connection) so as long as it is doing something, wait it out, may wake up tomorrow and it will be done. Only time will tell at this point.

Let me know what happens
    Thanks again for hanging in there with me. It is still loading a different file about every 30 seconds, so I'll just leave it and see what it looks like in the morning. The computer is not very old, though, only about 6 months old. I had it built for me using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 LGA775 processor, Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 motherboard and 4 GB Crucial ram. My internet connection is Time Warner Cable, so I didn't think it should take this long to install SP 3. Oh well, we'll see what it is doing in the morning and I'll let you know. Thanks again for your response.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 05:08 PM

It would seem like it would load faster with the specs, could be on MS end. Wait it out as it seems to be doing something.

And again, just for future installs on maybe other PC's, download the stand alone just to have on hand, you never know if you may need it or someone you know may ask.

Just don't use windows update to do it, as you know now, time consuming and somewhat aggravating.

Jan 19, 2009, 07:27 AM
    it would seem like it would load faster with the specs, could be on MS end. wait it out as it seems to be doing something.

And again, just for future installs on maybe other PC's, download the stand alone just to have on hand, you never know if you may need it or someone you know may ask.

Just don't use windows update to do it, as you know now, time consuming and somewhat aggravating.
    Good Morning! Well, this morning the computer was still doing the same thing, so I shut it down and downloaded the stand alone SP3 per your suggestion, and installed it. So now the computer is running fine and SP3 is installed! Thanks again for your assistance.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 08:29 AM

Well, pass on the info if friends ask, glad you got it all going
    AMP532 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 05:09 PM
    My computer says installing service pack stage 2 of 3 100% complete do not turn off your computer, but the pack has been loading for 40 hours now and i do not know what to do. Should i cut it off and risk my computer or leave it running.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 20, 2011, 12:34 PM

Please do the following:

1. Don't piggyback on a 2 year old thread
    2. Create your own thread.
    3. Do not use caps lock. It's aweful looking.

My answer to your question. Do you have a choice? Sit and wait or turn it off, its been running for 40hrs, shut the darn thing off and try again! It doesn't take any update 40hrs to install!
    kuori8it Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2012, 04:42 PM
    I installed from Microsoft and it took over two hours. Often it looked like it stalled especially when building cab but it did finish and works better than ever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Install of XP Service Pack 3 is stuck. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been stuck now for over an hour. The progress indicators have not moved a hair. Will closing them to try again screw it up? Thanks :)

XP service pack 2 [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take to re-install? It's been in Application Recovery / Re-install mode for several hours. Not sure if I should cancel it or what? Thanks for any help!

What is the difference between "Service Pack 2" and "Service Pack 2 v 2096" for Windo [ 1 Answers ]

I M CONFUSING IN WINDOWS SERVICEPACK 2 AND SERVICE PACK 2 V.2096 What is the difference between "Service Pack 2" and "Service Pack 2 v 2096" for Windows XP. Thanks Purendra

Service pack 2 of XP [ 1 Answers ]

Can I load safely service pack 2 over win xp?

Service pack 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I currently have Service pack 1 and want to go to Service pack 2 but don't know how. Could someone please tell me how? Thanks

View more questions Search