Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ftexidor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Notice of judgement
    I just got a notice of judgement what exactly does this mean?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ftexidor View Post
    i just got a notice of judgement what exactly does this mean?

A creditor has obtained a Judgment for money against you. The creditor can now use any means that are legal in your State to collect the debt.

You had to have been served before the Judgment was obtained. If you were not, then you must go to the Court, review the file and attempt to open the Judgment for a new hearing - if you have a valid defense.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2009, 11:54 AM

Without knowing exactly what the notice says we can only guess. It could be a notice that a judgement was obtained against you as the result of a suit.

It could be a notice that you are being sued.

Please read the notice carefully and be more detailed about what it says.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 18, 2009, 01:12 PM

Yes,and as noted above the judgement will allow for wage garnishments, if your state allows and also allow them to freeze your bank accounts. As ScottGem said we need a little more information about the suit. Was it for a credit card debt?
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasy View Post
    yes,and as noted above the judgement will allow for wage garnishments, if your state allows and also allow them to freeze your bank accounts. As ScottGem said we need a little more information about the suit. Was it for a credit card debt?

I don't see that the type of debt matters. What am I missing?
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 18, 2009, 02:24 PM

Judy , you are not missing anything, When I was explaining what can happen when a person gets a judgement, I was also on the phone and didn't even realized that I asked was it cc debt... sorry
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasy View Post
    Judy , you are not missing anything, When I was explaining what can happen when a person gets a judgement, I was also on the phone and didn't even realized that I asked was it cc debt......sorry

No, not a problem - I was drinking coffee at the time myself so just about anything could have been going on. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord give me a 3-Day notice plus a 30 Day notice to quit all at once? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to please know what is the legal procedure to an eviction notice? My fiancé and I and my 3 children use to live in Buena Park in Orange County and we still currently work in Orange County and comute Mon-Fri about 1hr and 15mins each way. When we heard from a far away causing...

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

Will I be sent official notice of judgement or lien against property ? [ 1 Answers ]

After being married 27 years , my husband walked out on me 1 year ago . I have managed to pay my mortgage and utilities but that was about it . I let 3 credit cards go and they have been turned over to collection agencies . I have now put my home up for sell but am afraid there might be a judgement...

Time notice on collecting a judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Someone told me that they that a notice will be sent to my landlord saying that expiration time is coming up to collect on this judgement.Is this true?

Notice of Judgement/Transcript Civil Case [ 1 Answers ]

Recently a certified letter was delivered to my home to "Jack Smith, Jr.". Well, I am Jack Smith, III and my 18 year old son is Jack Smith (we changed his middle name). So when the mailman knocked on my door and asked for Jack Smith, Jr. my son figured it was for him and he signed for it and that...

View more questions Search