Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alfiesgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 04:19 AM
    How do I remove wood stain?
    I have stained a door with a water based wood stain and it looks terrible :eek: can anyone tell me to remove it please??
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 12:49 PM

Ouch Is this a solid wood door or an interior 1/4 inch Luan door? If it's a luan door The stain on it is basically it. The stain sucks into the plywood so deep and plywood with stain on it won't sand enough to get the stain out and stain removers will ruin the plywood.
    If the stain it too dark you can use 0 and 00 steal wool to lighten it up. Just on a side note to stain a piece of wood always use a old white sock or a clean rag. Brushing on stains males them way to dark and too much stain is on the wood. I posted a website to remove old finishes off old stained wood decks. There are other "stain" removers in the paint / big box stores. The question is how much time you want to spend on the door. Sanding may be enough to lighten the stain enough
    Here is one of the stain strippers that's fairly aggressive to remove stains

DeckStrip Wood Stain and Finish Remover

Mouse over to my name and click on that and Look for my history in answered questions "EXTERIOR WOODEN DOOR" I have instructions on the perfect way to stain and seal a door. Maybe this will take you directly to "staining and sealing a wooden door' for when you start over

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/interi...ml#post1493827

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    alfiesgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for replying to my question, the door in question is solid wood but only pine so it is very porous (I have since learned). I used a standard water based wood dye from a very well known DIY store (rhymes with bee and queue) and on the tin it says how easy it is to apply. I tested it first on a bit of old wood and it was fine but on this door it has proved to be a nightmare. I have ordered this product:
    Wood Stain Remover
    What do you think??
    jjeff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 05:04 PM
    I have stained pine fir solid woods doors with a miniwax water based stained and the doors have blotches on certain panels. How do I go about evening the blotches out. Basically removing the stain.

What do you recommend?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 05:50 PM

I see jjeff has since gone off and started his own post which is the right thing to do. I'd say that water based stain remover is well worth a shot. Let us know how it works.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 5, 2009, 08:48 AM

Pine is a soft wood, and always sand lightly before applying any stain type.

You used water stain, so you won't need to use any thing very strong to get it out. If it is solid, use a fine sand paper instead to light it up and to open the wood better.

Do you know how you plan to finish it after you clean it up? You will still have some stain on it, but if it's solid, then you should be able to get the majority of it to lighten it.

Sanding it will help open it. Let's be glad it was oil based, eh?

Make sure that after you sand of lightly the water based stain, that you then use a lightly dampened, but clean rag to clean off all the fine wood dust from sanding.

Blotches comes from not sanding before applying a stain. Water contact can do this too depending on the minerials in it. Doors sometimes come with a sticker on it can leave a film that will not take stain well.

Sand nicely, (but not hard).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood furniture stain [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I just moved to our new house. The previous owner of the house has a some outdoor furnitures left so we decided to keep them since they still look good. But one round wooden table which they said they bought from an online store has a big stain on it. The stain is bit big and it...

Is it dangerous to be around wood stain all the time? [ 3 Answers ]

I work in an office in a place that does a lot of wood staining/sealing. They do it in the back of the warehouse, and my office is towards the front, but the smell is really strong all the time. Is it dangerous to my health to be around this all the time? Should I look for a new job? Would an...

Wood Stain/Varnish Smell in Clothes Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! We have been doing a lot of remodeling in our home and therefore have been doing a lot of stripping and staining of wood floors and wood work. After doing my laundry this weekend I realized that all of my clothes coming out of the dryer have a chemical smell on them. I have washed and dried...

Hi how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry. The gentleman who installed the cabinets inadvertently rubbed the glue on the cabinet itself... it looks awful.. thanks

How to stain wood? [ 2 Answers ]

My question is simple, I believe. What is the proper way or technique in staining on wood. I have kitchen cabinets, doors, and trim that I would like to stain. American Cherry stain is what I have, and I am putting it on pine, popular wood. I know I need foam brushes and all that LOL. I think I...

View more questions Search