Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlpunky Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2009, 11:40 AM
    How can I figure the penalty for early withdrawl of a CD?
    If I wanted to take out 3/4 of the amount I have in a CD early, my papers say I would be penalized on 3 months for early withdrawl. How do I calculate the amount I am losing for doing this? And is the penalty interest based on the amount of interest you were making on the CD? And is the penalty cost figured just on the amount you withdrawl or the whole CD? My CD's maturity date is not until Sept. Thanks for the help.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jan 18, 2009, 08:08 AM
    How do I calculate the amount I am loosing for doing this?
    To get an approximate amount: Multiply annual rate by 3/4; then multiply the amount of principal you are withdrawing by that answer. Your bank will should tell you the exact penalty amount before you make the withdrawal.

And is the penalty interest based on the amount of interest you were making on the CD?
    Yes. The bank will calculate 3 months interest and that will be the penalty you pay.

And is the penalty cost figured just on the amount you withdrawl or the whole CD?
    Amount withdrawn. But some banks allow partial withdrawals, others do not. You will need to ask your bank. Also, if your bank allows you to withdraw just the interest earned, there probably would not be a penalty on that.

Another option, is to take out a loan using the CD as collateral. That may be a better choice. Your bank should be able to provide you with an exact penalty amount and tell you if a loan is advantageous.

Keep in mind that there are laws and there are bank policies. You will need to ask your bank for an exact answer.
    mygirlpunky Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2009, 03:51 PM
    I thought of the option of borrowing against the CD as collateral but my way of thinking makes me think it isn't a good idea. I am intending to take out this money for my son who makes good money but has bad credit because of his, finally, ex-wife. In order for him to pay off the debts incurred during their marriage, he needs a loan. If I take out a loan in my name or even sign for him using my CD as collateral, they will charge a lot more int. rate on the loan. I figured if I just withdrew from my CD, and added on enough int. to offset the amount I would have been getting for the CD had I left it in the bank and enough to cover the penalty, it would still be much less than the amount the bank would be charging for a loan. My son can make monthly payment to me instead. This way the payments would be reasonable for him and I am not losing money by taking it out of my CD. I'm sure that if I discuss this with my bank, asking their opinion, they are naturally going to discourage me from taking the CD out and encourage me to borrow against it instead. I want what will be the best route for my son. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal penalty? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here and I have a question. My wife was laid off in October of this year from her job of 14yrs and yesterday she made arrangements to withdrawl in one lump sum her entire 401k. The amount was only $10,450. I know I will have to pay back 20% tax to federal and a 10% penalty tax. I'm sure...

Waiving of 10% early withdrawal penalty. [ 1 Answers ]

I am cashing out my 401K. Because I am 56 y/o I am exempt from the 10% early withdrawl penalty but is there a form I need to fill out or request when doing taxes at end of year to ensure this? Thanks. Tom

Early 401k withdrawal Penalty [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there! I can't seem to find a good answer on this topic, so I'm asking the experts!! Last year, I made a 401k withdrawl for higher education expenses. The withdrawl amount was 14k. I took the option of paying taxes on the amount, so I received 12k. 1) The 1099 form received states the...

Penalty on early 401k withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

If I withdrew my 401k, early , What is the penalty amount in %?

Early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I took a 401K withdrawl to pay for daughters college. I paid it back while employed. I changed jobs and I was issued a 1099-R as income from the unpaid balance of the original withdrawl. Question is: Can the 10% penalty be waived for early withdrawl from 401K or is relief only applicable with...

View more questions Search