Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenzama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 01:40 AM
    Crystal meth long term brain damage ?
    Hi everyone, I have been clean now for 33 days off the evil crystal meth and I am wondering if I have brain damage from using meth for almost ten years on and off because it feels to me as if my brain does not work like it used to. I find it hard to study and recall things and sometimes (alot lately) I just feel like I'm in a daze and I can't shake the feeling. Also I find myself getting stuck in one place sitting and staring off into space. I guess I am thinking about something but I don't really know what it was I was thinking about if someone where to ask me. Is this related to quiting crystal and if so when does it go away? Also am I in greater danger of getting cancer since I was a user for so long?
    Thank you
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2007, 03:03 AM
    Health risks: The effects and dependence potential of meth are similar to that of amphetamine misuse, although as the stuff is a lot stronger, the dangers involved are greater with an increased chance of overdose.

Overuse can bring on paranoia, short term memory loss, wild rages and mood swings as well as damage to your immune system. As far as we know, it is not physically addictive, although many have quickly developed a very strong psychological and damaging dependence for the drug.

Overdosing can lead to severe convulsions followed by circulatory and respiratory collapse, coma and death. Some people have died after taking small doses.

The mix of chemicals, method of use and the user's lifestyle can do serious damage to the mouth ('Meth mouth'), with teeth rotting to the gum line as a result of the meth vapours.

Source: Drugs - crystal methamphetamine, tina, crystal meths, krank, tweak, ice

There are many websites that say how it effects the brain and how it works and how you can even die from small amounts of this. So would ten years off and on, I would say it does effect the brain long term. Short term memory. It could be from the drug or it could even be the effects of just getting older.

You are doing so well staying away from it. I think it will take a while for your brain and body to heal from the years of taking it. Your doing great.

Joe
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Jan 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
    It took me a while to get back feeling 'normal' after I started my recovery.
    2 years later,I still have days that can be difficult to control anger or even think straight, but these do get much farther apart and milder.
    I strongly suggest continue going/ go to NA, CA or even AA meetings and stay connected with others who have been where you are now, and will help you stay on the right track, as sometimes it can be hard or impossible to do this on your own.
    Have a good recovery!
    laylow80 Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2007, 03:34 PM
    How are you doing socially? Irritability and social difficulties are often noticeable meth effects. Crystal Meth also burns up the vitamins, minerals and nutrients the body needs to function properly. The result is a lower immune system, brain damage, loss of interest in success and living, etc. The long term effects of crystal meth can be somewhat fixed or completely recovered with a complete detox and rehabilitation program. You might look into those to shorten your long term effects. I'm not a meth user, and have never used it before, but I hope my advice helps. If you disagree, its all right.
    Brodio Posts: 10, Reputation: 6

Jan 17, 2009, 03:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Health risks: The effects and dependence potential of meth are similar to that of amphetamine misuse, although as the stuff is a lot stronger, the dangers involved are greater with an increased chance of overdose.

Overuse can bring on paranoia, short term memory loss, wild rages and mood swings as well as damage to your immune system. As far as we know, it is not physically addictive, although many have quickly developed a very strong psychological and damaging dependence for the drug.

Overdosing can lead to severe convulsions followed by circulatory and respiratory collapse, coma and death. Some people have died after taking small doses.

The mix of chemicals, method of use and the user's lifestyle can do serious damage to the mouth ('Meth mouth'), with teeth rotting to the gum line as a result of the meth vapours.

Source: Drugs - crystal methamphetamine, tina, crystal meths, krank, tweak, ice

There are many websites that say how it effects the brain and how it works and how you can even die from small amounts of this. So would ten years off and on, I would say it does effect the brain long term. Short term memory. It could be from the drug or it could even be the effects of just getting older.

You are doing so well staying away from it. I think it will take a while for your brain and body to heal from the years of taking it. Your doing great.

Joe
    I think somebody who has done tina for ten years knows what it does to you...
    bensmom Posts: 14, Reputation: 5

Jan 17, 2009, 01:56 PM

I have been clean for 5 years, the first year I forgot a lot, people would ask me a question and I would reply with an answer that didn't even support the question, now 5 years later my brain has restored itself. It takes awhile for everything to get right again but so worth it. Best of luck
    girlwithaguitar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 04:18 PM
    I had similar side effects when I quit caffeine - a related drug - and it lasted for months. Furthermore if I have so much as one cup of coffee, a cola beverage or even a cup of tea, the same thing happens again as soon as the caffeeine wears off - I go through several days of feeling stupid and sluggish, like my mind can't quite focus or get motivated. I was tested and learned that my adrenal gland was not functioning normally. You can order these lab tests on line for about $100, but if you were using meth and just quit I think it is probably safe to assume your adrenal gland is not functioning normally, as it was used to being stimulated with meth and now it has 'forgotten' how to get going on its own - thus causing the symptoms you describe.

I went to a naturopath and was prescribed a tincture using licorice root which is a very mild adrenal stimulant. It doesn't give you a buzz but it does seem to help the energy and attention span a little bit. (Licorice tea is available at most health food stores if you can't find a tincture.) Also avoid caffeine in any form, and eat a diet that is high in omega-3s such as nuts, fish etc as well as leafy green vegetables. Also gentle exercise - such as walking or yoga - is recommended, but not strenuous exercise (running or aerobics or anything that increases your heart rate too much at first). I think if you follow a healthy diet and lifestyle and try supplementing with licorice root tincture you should see improvement over time, but it may take a while.

Good Luck, hope this helps!
    shnutopia Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2009, 12:53 AM
    Ive been a crystal meth for the last five years. I was sleeping every 2 or 3 days and the longest I ve stopped was last chrismas and I stopped for 1 month. Beside that the longest was maybe, 5 days? And now I mm clean since almost 1 month and I'm going to stay clean. I moved into another province, start working after 1 week full time and now Im going to start school soon. I truly believe now that it more as to do with your head. Seriously like, Im no better than anybody else, I was living under a bridge for 2 years shooting crystal, than I stop shooting but still I was smoking every single day and I was sure that if I wuld stop I would have to sleep and lay down for 2 months almost. But its just a myth that we all like to believe cause it gives us a reason why to go smoke some more to get through the day. You re addicted on meth? Get away from t he environment where you use! Just change completely everything around you so nothing s going to be there to remind you of the dope. If I did it , everybody can. Just keep busy and active and away from whatever could remind you of it until your strong enough to be able to refuse it. Personally, I know myself and Im going to have to stay away for a long time!! But hey, when you do what you re supposed to do, life just helps you and give you tools otherwise , keeps happening all the time.
    shnutopia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Ive been a crystal meth for the last five years. I was sleeping every 2 or 3 days and the longest I ve stopped was last chrismas and I stopped for 1 month. Beside that the longest was maybe, 5 days? And now I mm clean since almost 1 month and I'm going to stay clean. I moved into another province, start working after 1 week full time and now Im going to start school soon. I truly believe now that it more as to do with your head. Seriously like, Im no better than anybody else, I was living under a bridge for 2 years shooting crystal, than I stop shooting but still I was smoking every single day and I was sure that if I wuld stop I would have to sleep and lay down for 2 months almost. But its just a myth that we all like to believe cause it gives us a reason why to go smoke some more to get through the day. You re addicted on meth? Get away from t he environment where you use! Just change completely everything around you so nothing s going to be there to remind you of the dope. If I did it , everybody can. Just keep busy and active and away from whatever could remind you of it until your strong enough to be able to refuse it. Personally, I know myself and Im going to have to stay away for a long time!! But hey, when you do what you re supposed to do, life just helps you and give you tools otherwise , keeps happening all the time.
    shnutopia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brain damage from chokes [ 12 Answers ]

Me and my friend was playing around in school, practicing jujitsu, a form of ground submission where chokes and joint locks are used until someone taps. I been choked many times however, I taped when I felt that I'm going to pass out and had never been put unconscious. I have seen from some...

I'm in a long term relationship but like someone else! [ 8 Answers ]

I've been going out with this guy for like... forever... I love him so much... and have done since I met him... but I've started to have feelings for another guy... but he's not just a guy... he's my best friend... I can't stop thinking about him... he's in my mind all the time and I feel guilty...

Immaturity and Long Term Relationships [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I'm just wondering how much age and perceived immaturity have to do with a relationship ending. My ex is 18 when she left. And I know others here whose ex's were young (under 21). Can the lure of the party scene be that strong and do they either never come back or do they start to...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

Long Term Debt [ 1 Answers ]

What is the financing cost long term debt?

View more questions Search