Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hopealicious21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 09:55 PM
    How do I Train My red heeler dog?
    Hi, I have a pure bred red heeler, about 2yrs old. She is De-sexed. She's always jumping on people, and chew everything... she is not aggressive and licks everyone...
    How do I get her to stop jumping on people? And the other basic training things?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 11:01 PM

Well dogs are a little like kids except they understand the presence of a pack leader. You dog will sense your power as a pack leader and a pack leader dog never really barks to control the pack. Reputation is the first key. Yelling at he dog only excites it even more.
    You have to learn to claim your space as a pack leader. If the dog jumps up on a person you should stand between that person and block that behavior. And not yell and get excited or tense doing it. Be calm and assertive. Walk calmly and claim the space in front of you and walk towards the dog and no hands to grab the dog. Just a shh when she tries to jump on somebody and move by zig zagging if necessary and push like coraling it back to a spot YOU want the dog to stay at. This is a practice you need to do several times. Don't even look at your dog much. You have emulate strength and power. That's what a pack leader dog does . Its presence of power is sensed by the pack.
    Now another method to use is take your fingers and touch firmly the points of the finger a "claw" hand and touch behind the ear and towards the throat. That simulates a bite of power that a pack leader dog would do. Its to put the dog down in power and when your dog feels that instinct she will react to it. If she is real hard to Handel actually physically put her down to the floor and hold her there with the hand bite simulation until she relaxes and the more she relaxes the less pressure of the fingers and that lets her know that the calmer she is the less she is restrained, It may take 10 or 15 min but she will get it. After she is calm and submissive and your hand is away stay right there. Make her lay there. If she tries to get up the its SShh the second she wants to get up. Do a little claw tapp as you go ssshhh.
    Remember the dog is a pack animal and YOU must be the pack leader. When you walk the dog do not let the dog in front of you ever. Only beside or behind. The pack leader is always first. That's why the LEADER words here. Try the techniques and be calm but assertive and claim you space as a pack leader dog does. When you start to walk the dog going out the door YOU are first not the dog. It may take a couple of starts but it works and starts the walk off right as you being the leader learn from this site I posted for you no pun but he is the best of the best to train a dog

This site has it all

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Jan 12, 2009, 12:57 PM

I agree. When she starts jumping, turn your back. Do it EVERY time without fail. Instruct company to do the same. Also, instruct them not to look at her or acknowledge her in any way. Walk into her, instead of walking away, to claim your space. Usually they get the hint after a day or two. She'll come up to you and sit right in front of you probably, waiting nicely for you to pat her. I did this with my two shelties and it worked perfectly!
    nannyuf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 09:01 PM
    My red heeler will go pee outside but when we come in he poops how do I get him to stop?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 12:43 AM

Hi nannyuf, it's best to start your own question instead of piggybacking on someone else's but I will answer.

Have you tried going out and walking your heeler?
    Some dogs won't just go outside and poop straight away, they need to be walked or at least have you stay outside with them for a while before they will go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

16 week Blue Heeler - Training [ 7 Answers ]

Please help! We had our Female Blue Heeler for 3 weeks now and she hates her crate, would not stop barking, and the past two days now she has pooped in it in the middle of the night. We were doing really well with her being housebroken and going outside and the past two days she went back to...

Blue heeler biting/jumping [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 5 month old blue heeler/golden retriever female, spayed 1 week ago. She spends all her time outside--occasionally allowed inside. She had a very hard time biting and chewing several weeks ago, but by using vinegar spray, we've been fairly successful controlling that. However, she...

2 month old male blue heeler [ 4 Answers ]

My 17 year old son just bought a 2 month old male blue heeler from our local pet store. He is a beautiful puppy, but we need help getting his attention. We can call him, whistle, clap, etc. and he just doesn't really respond as other puppies we have had in the past did. At first I was thinking...

Heeler biting Labs [ 3 Answers ]

From an email: ''My husband is going to give my dog away and I am frantic. My Heeler, Chico, bites his labs on the ankles and draws blood. He does this Constantly no matter what we do to correct him. Even the shock collar Didn't phase him. Chico is 1 1/2 years. His basic training went...

Blue heeler mix [ 1 Answers ]

I have mixed breed male and female puppies (1 each) and think that their temperament is primarily blue heeler. Any training tricks (I've seen the NO negative training)?

View more questions Search