Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thetha Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Toilet running, flapper not seating
    I recently had a new system put in my toilet with a flapper. The toilet kept emptying a little and then would fill up at intervals during the day. I told my plumber about it and he came and replaced the flapper. We're on the second flapper and the toilet is still running. It seems the flapper isn't seating right. We already tried the vaseline. Are there different sizes for flappers?

It's just annoying and I'd like to fix it myself without having the plumber come back. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Many times where the flapper sits on the tank seal the concave seal gets a very small amount of slime and grime. I usually use wet sand paper or 000 fine steel wool to clean this up so the flapper seals beveled edge sits better and seals. Vaseline is not correcting the problem. The worst scenario is take the tank of and replace that piece that's goes trough the tank and its new on new. Many times the new flapper will work for awhile and its rubber gets a little hard and the seat it sits on makes it fail sooner than it should. Try the wet sandpaper and lightly sand the tanks beveled seat the flapper sits in
    Flappers are standard one size. There are different looks about them but size is standard
    Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 06:17 PM

Check the flush valve. Most likely the new flapper is not sitting against the old flush valve assembly. We almost always replace flapper AND flush valve assembly at the same time to reduce chances of call backs!

Fluid master sells an entire tank replacement kit... includes all of the above plus a new fill valve for about $18.00 see the Image below. Good Luck.

John

Jan 9, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Check the flush valve. Most likely the new flapper is not sitting against the old flush valve assembly. We almost always replace flapper AND flush valve assembly at the same time to reduce chances of call backs!

Fluid master sells an entire tank replacement kit...includes all of the above plus a new fill valve for about $18.00 see the Image below. Good Luck.

John
    Hi John

Thanks for your reply to my problem. The plumber installed the entire fluidmaster kit plus two flappers and the toilet is still running!! I don't know anything about plumbing and don't want to screw up my toilet. The other day I turned off the water in the bathroom before I went to bed. In the morning when I went to check it the water was down a little in the tank. Does that mean I have a leak somewhere? Or is the flapper just not sitting right?
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 07:28 PM

OK if you are losing water in tank then it is defiantly the flapper valve issue either it is a wrong type or it is not seating properly or it is not adjusted properly you need to call the same plumber to come and fix it for you, Good Luck.

John

Jan 11, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    OK if you are loosing water in tank then it is defiantly the flapper valve issue either it is a wrong type or it is not seating properly or it is not adjusted properly you need to call the same plumber to come and fix it for you, Good Luck.

John
    Thanks a lot for your help :-))
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 06:17 PM

Lets face it , your plumber does know jack. The fluidmaster 400a is not a complete toilet kit but a complete kit will contain a 400a plus a new overflow pipe and flush valve. It it was all replaced and it still leaks do not pay this plumber a penny. My guys tell me Rau Charles can install a fluidmaster at midnight with no leaks.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2009, 08:35 PM

I agree with Bob, you should call the plumber back to fix your problem, Good Luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flapper ! [ 11 Answers ]

Okay... my father decided to fix the toilets one day for a variety of reasons I won't go into right now... BUT ever since THEY HAVEN'T BEEN RIGHT!! Wish he'd leave my HOUSE ALONE!! Anyway, I digress... The FLAPPER on the 2 toilets aren't working properly. When you flush they stay up for just about...

Toilet Flapper [ 11 Answers ]

First, thank you to everyone for all the helpful advice I have received in this forum. Seriously, it's GREAT! I've been lurking for quite some time but have finally found the need to post with a question. About 2 weeks ago my wife and I noticed the toilet in our basement was "running"...

Toilet Flapper [ 12 Answers ]

The toilet flapper closer too soon (as soon as you release the lever). It is a new flapper; any suggestions?

Re-seating a toilet, what to charge? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to re-seat a wobbly toilet for a friend. The bolts are stripped and it just needs a new wax ring and new bolts. What's a fair price to charge?

Seating a new toilet bowl so that it is level [ 4 Answers ]

I am seating a new toilet bowl using a new wax ring with a gasket but when I Seat the bowl it does not seat flush to the tile floor . Should I shim the bowl ? And if that is a Yes , how do I shim it ? Regards Bob

View more questions Search