Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gypsydreamer23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Can I Paint over Cement Board?
    My husband and I are installing (or reinstalling, actually) a shower in the basement. I am tiling the walls and floor, but I don't want to tile the ceiling. Can we use some of the left-over cement backerboard for the ceiling and paint it? I'd rather use the cement board because of it's water resistance, instead of drywall, but I need to know if it can be painted?
    Thanks for any help,
    M.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2006, 09:16 AM
    Yes you can.

Use a good primer/sealer (I prefer BIN over Kilz) followed by 2 coats of a good mildew resistant bathroom paint.
    gypsydreamer23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply, Rickj. Greatly aprreciated :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taping cement board joints [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know what kind of compound to use on cement board?I've checked the USG FAQ site and they recommend 'glass tape for the joints, I see no mention of compound, other than to say that joint compound is not acceptable because cb is generally used in damp areas and the joint compound won't...

Oil Spill on cement [ 4 Answers ]

How do I clean up an oil spill on the driving pad at my condo.

Grout vs cement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm tiling the floor of my front entryway/vestibule, and in the lay-out I have designed, have a 2" tile border with a 1/2 inch space on either side running around the perimeter of the 4' square space (larger 6" tiles are fill the centre of the space with 1/4" spacers). I wanted to know...

Moisture barrier under cement board in shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm framing in a new stall shower, have looked at web sites on the subject and most experts suggest putting a moisture barrier under the cement board. I can see why that would be good. One company, which produces a thick (15 mil) membrane for this application, also shows a detail in which a...

Now What--PVC cement on ABS [ 1 Answers ]

Used PVC cement on black (ABS?) pipe on a trailer while gluing in a Drain Master flange. Cement is P-8 Nutone PVC Cement (ASTM D-2564). Joint looked good put didn't stress it. Will it hold? If not, what now? (just another example of gaining 'experience' by doing stupid things--great fun...

View more questions Search