Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lakelady2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Toilet tank won't fill
    Hi
    I have a toilet that has always been slow to fill but now it won't fill at all.
    What do I look for? Thanks.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 05:01 PM

The valve on the intake, under the toilet may be clogged with debris. Or it could be the valve inside the tank that's faulty.

Is the tank (behind the toilet) full of water?

Is your water very hard?

Jan 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
    It is the tank behind that won't fill. Yes water is probably hard, we are at a lake near Kansas City.

Jan 9, 2009, 05:08 PM

How do I check for debris?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 05:10 PM

If the problem is inside the tank, there should be some kind of float valve that drops when the water goes down and opens a valve to let water in, and then rises up when the water level reaches a certain level and shuts off the valve.

If you can see where the water normally comes out of a little pipe, try moving some levers to see if anything opens the valve. I'm guessing this will be a cheap part that is easily replaced.

It's less likely to be the valve under the toilet.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 07:31 PM

Look inside the toilet tank and tell me which type of fill valve do you have See the images below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 9, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Hi Lakelady2..

Which fill valve do you have inside your tank? The top picture or something similar to the bottom picture?

If you have one similar to the top picture you can shut the water shutoff valve to the toilet and then push down on the CAP and twist counterclockwise. This will disengage the cap and the arm... set to the side. Then pry up on the black rubber washer (looks like the black rubber seal posted below), clean debris if see any, then put a rag over the valve and PULSE the water supply on to clear the valve of any sediment... then replace rubber washer and install cap and arm by setting into position and rotatingclockwise to lock into place. Then turn water shutoff back on (may need to tighten the packing nut at the shutoff... see last picture) and test to see if works better. If not, you may need to replace the seal or may need to replace the valve with a fluidmaster 400A fill valve (available at home depot or lowes).

If older style model, same rules apply: shut water supply, rermove screws from top of fill valve (set cap and float aside) and go after washer/stem inside. Pulse water, etc...

Try this and let us know what happens...

Good luck...

MARK

SORRY JOHN...was writing as you were posting!

Attached Images

savmundoitursef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 12:43 PM
    I checked the connection to the tank, I removed the plastic seat connection wrapped a plastic bag around the pipe to the tank turned it on and the bag filled with water. So that connection was fine. I moved on to the float assembly. I removed the float assembly and proceeded to look to see if water was flowing through it. It was not. I took some tie wire and poked it through until it stopped. Tried that from both ends . I found where it was clogged and disassembled it and found a piece of rubber clogging the orifice. I removed it reassembled it and it works fine.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2011, 01:03 PM
    Way to go Savmun! Good thinking. Doesn't it feel good to fix something without having to spend a ton of cash?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet tank fill [ 5 Answers ]

After flushing, the toilet goes silent for about 15 seconds and then the tank starts refilling. What may be causing this? Thanks.

Toilet tank doesn't fill all the way to top [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first question. Thanks in advance. We have a 3 year old house. One of our toilets has a problem. When it is flushed, it flushes everything down. The problem is when the tank is filling back up. It continues to run and run without shutting off until the lever is pulled up manually....

Toilet tank doesn't fill up all the way [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet tank does not fill up to it's capacity, which does not flush all the waste down. Have to flush two and three times before it's gone. Please help, I'm wasting gals. Of water all day every day

Toilet tank willnot fill [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to two kids, the toilet was clogged. We used a plunger to unclog the toilet, but the tank emptied and willnot fill up with water. Any ideas?:eek:

View more questions Search