Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 08:04 AM
    What is a 2 1/2 Apartment?
    This may sound odd, but what is the difference between a 2 1/2 and a 3 1/2 apartment?

I had a friend come over recently and remark that our apartment is called a 3 1/2 but is actually a 2 1/2... does a 2 1/2 have a kitchen that is part of the main living space (not closed off?)
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 02:46 PM

Never mind, I found the information below, it's hard to Google anything apartment related 99% of the results are ads...

2½:
    A small, one-bedroom apartment. 2 ½ apartments have a separate bedroom with a living room, kitchenette and bathroom. Some 2 ½ apartments are L-shaped.

This type of living unit can also have a small open alcove attached to the living room (a double room), with a separate kitchen and bathroom. The alcove may be separated by an archway that can be sectioned off. This configuration, however, is not very common.

2 ½ apartments are also called alcove studios.

3½:
    Similar to a regular one-bedroom apartment. It is usually large enough to contain a separate bedroom, living room and a full kitchen. Also called a junior bedroom or convertible studio, this type of unit can vary quite a bit in size from building to building.
    The text is a little unclear, is my assumption correct, do they mean to say that a 3 1/2 should have a kitchen and living room that are clearly separated. Mine are not, there is no separation between living room and kitchen.

Thanks for any help, just trying to figure out what I have right now to make a more informed decision about getting a new place.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2009, 02:53 PM

You Canadians are funny the way you interpret apartments. In NYC a 2 1/2 would be a closet and a 3 1/2 would be a closet with a view and also have enough room to change your mind in. They all would be considered studio apartments in NYC. I guess the big cities have different ways of expressing studio apts. Was not aware of the 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 thing. Thanks for the information as I always like to know what's new.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New apartment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to move in to a new studio (one room apartment) in couple of months and I really want To make it look good witout using a lot of money. I've looked at some examples in magazines and I Wonder if I should decorate my room in an extreme Fancy way that I like (such as leopard...

Apartment trying to get $ [ 5 Answers ]

2 years ago my husband and I moved out of our apartment building we signed a notice to move out early and we paid a pro rated rate. We moved out and now they 2 1/2 years later they sent a letter saying we owe 200, we are trying to get into a house and this looks bad on us we do not owe this money...

18 and want an apartment. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 18 and I want to get my own apartment. But my morther keeps telling me I will not be able to get it. And she can't co-sign for me cause she lives in Australia. But I plan on moving to Council bluffs, Iowa. And I was wondering if I will be able to sign the apartment contract on my own??...

Apartment A/C [ 11 Answers ]

I live in an upstairs apartment in Houston. My a/c is not cooling off the apartment. If cools off at night, but increases throughout the day, beginning around 10 am. I have all blinds closed, a ceiling fan in the bedroom, and an oscillating fan in the living room. I have not been running the...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search