Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MercedesBST Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Purchased car from Florida dealer with no title
    What is the procedure for filing a small claim against a Florida car dealer who sold me a car almost seven years ago and has not given me a title for the car? Can I demand my money back? If the cost of the vehicle was over $20,000. Is this a case for small claims?
    Can I file a claim against his bond company? What is the procedure? Please help!
    Thank you,
    MercedesBST
    MercedesBST Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Bought car from dealer, 6 years later still no title.
    I purchased a 93 Mercedes Benz convertible for $23,000. Almost 7 years ago and still have not received a title to this vehicle that was brought into this country from Germany. The dealer was married to my cousin and has since been divorced. I thought by buying from him that I would not have to worry in case of future needed repairs. I have been told that there has been a hold up in receiving the title because it was being processed in Germany, etc. In the meantime, I was given a dealer tag to use and would not have to pay sales tax until the transfer was made. I insured the car through my insurance company for over three years and was then informed that I could not insure a vehicle that was not registered to me. The three times that I needed service on the car, he had kept it for 3 months one time, to fix the brakes, then 5 months for replacing a fuel pump, and now he has had the car for over 2 and a half years to repair the top and paint the vehicle, (which is already paid for). In the last two years, since I no longer want the car, I was told there is no sense transferring it to me, if I want to sell it, or I will have to pay sales tax. I do not believe that he has a title for the vehicle as of this date, or if he does, I think he may have used it to secure temporary loans against the car. I have been told that I can file a claim against his bond and get my money back and he can keep the car. We both reside in Florida. Is this true? How do I go about it? Will I need an attorney? Does anyone know an attorney that is proficient in these matters? Would they take this case on a contingency basis? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Frustrated and disgusted,
    MercedesBST
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 05:38 PM

Finding an attorney for a matter of this type on a contingency basis would be next to impossible. They won't take a case like this unless they are paid a hefty retainer to do so. I know, I used to work in law offices in South Florida and no attorney I know would work essentially for free in hopes of winning money unless it is a personal injury matter.

Why didn't you contact the State of Florida's Department of Licensing for Car Dealers when this first happened as what your alleged friend did was highly illegal. Now you've let so much time go by where you didn't have this matter taken care of, it will have to be straightened out by an attorney.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MercedesBST View Post
    What is the procedure for filing a small claim against a Florida car dealer who sold me a car almost seven years ago and has not given me a title for the car? Can I demand my money back? If the cost of the vehicle was over $20,000. is this a case for small claims?
    Can I file a claim against his bond company? What is the procedure? Please help!
    Thank you,
    MercedesBST

I don't see how his bonding company would enter into this.

You are over the Small Claims Court dollar amount.

Let me go and find someone who knows.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 08:55 AM

Not sure on laws in your state, but in Wisconsin, anything over $5,000 becomes a civil case, not small claims.

Do you have proof of purchase(a cancelled check, credit card receipt, etc.)? I would contact your Department of Transportation; they usually have someone who handles problems with dealerships.

On another note, why have you waited 7 years? You couldn't possibly have put license plates on the car if it isn't in your name; how have you been driving around?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2009, 08:57 AM

The 7 years is a red flag here. Why would you wait so long? How have you been using the car during that time? What excuses has the dealer given?

Please provide more info so we can try to help.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 02:25 PM

Also, please do not post the same question 3 separate times with varying information in each of them. It clutters up the board and prevents us from giving you the most accurate advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2009, 05:31 PM
    I merged two of your threads so we have a more complete picture here.

How did you pay for the car? Did you pay cash or use a loan? The answer to that will determine how you proceed against him. If it was a loan is it paid up to date? When was the last time you actually used the car?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concerning Obtaining a car title - Corrupt dealer [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a car from a dealer for $4,200 Paid Sales tax and paid him for the service of him changing the title to my name and getting the registration and plates. He was supposed to send it in the post approximately 3 weeks later we still hadn't received it so we called the dealer up there was no...

Dealer finance car without title [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know what to do. I purchased a 2005 chevy impala back in July 08. The bank that finance my car just telling me now in dec that the dealer never submitted my paper work to mva meaning he never paid the tags/title/registratin fee which would be 6%. On top of that I do have hard tags and a...

Car Dealer will not/cannot give me my title. [ 2 Answers ]

Traded for a car at a local car dealer. My trade was worth more than the car I bought. My trade was immediately sold to a different party. I purchased the car on 5/10/07 and have not yet received the title. I do have the bill of sale for my trade and the license application for my new car. I...

View more questions Search