Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newhousehelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Cold air upstairs, hot air downstairs
    Hi,

We recently bought a new house and are having a problem with our heating system. The air upstairs is significantly colder than downstairs, in fact you can feel the change as you go up the stairs. The air coming out of the vents upstairs is about the same as the cool room temperature. Downstairs is relatively toasty (we keep the heat at 65) and it feels like summer if you stand under one of the vents when it's blowing.

Any things we should try ourselves? If not, what type of professional do we need to call.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 05:22 PM
    As much as what is going on there You need to call A HVAC contractor. Their's air returns involved here maybe "balancers" Needed for the balancing the air flow to equalize the CF Ms on the what runs. What size the runs are is it flat oval or oval or wall stacks. Just to give a prime example A 6" 90 has the same airflow resistance as 10' of a 6" straight pipe. Sorry Its one of those things Where a whole layout of the House and system is needed to start to resolve this problem. Call 3 Contractors and they can size the heat runs and air returns In the mean time see if the ducts to second floor is protected from the cold and that's the chill factor.

Signed 21 Boat

If I helped to Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 05:27 PM
    New house? New equipment? Warranty? Two systems?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
    Call the builder.
    hvacguru177 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 09:11 PM
    The best solution would be to have a HVAC contractor install a zoning system. That way you'll have separate control of each space, an upstairs and downstairs for example. Any number of spaces can be zoned.
    newhousehelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Thanks all! I'll look into finding a contractor this week. The house is new to us, but 4 years old, so warranties are up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Downstairs radiators cold, upstairs o.k. [ 1 Answers ]

Has the boiler pump seized up after the summer break? How can I get it going?:confused: Kingfisher 2 boiler (England/U.K.). MANY THANKS.

Hot upstairs, cold downstairs! How do I regulate temp better? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a single furnace for both levels of our home. It is definitely colder in the basement and when we try to raise the downstairs temp by turning up the thermostat (located upstairs) it gets incredibly hot upstairs. Any ideas? Do I need to add a new furnace or can I relocate the thermostat...

No cold water upstairs, OK downstairs. Hot OK everywhere [ 3 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time on this board. Hello. The above title is pretty explanatory, happened in my home today. Why should this be? I have run the cold tap downstairs to see if it will run dry but it is fine. Hot OK too. Happened this morning. Thames water have no cut offs. Any takers?

Furnace heating upstairs, but blowing cold air downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

My records indicate that I have a Inter-City Products gas fired horizontal heating unit, model NHGE050CF01. The issue I am having is that the upstairs is heating as it should. The down stairs is blowing cold air. I have turned the thermostat down to the coldest setting and waiting 5 minutes...

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

View more questions Search