Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Erra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 03:11 PM
    My lightswitch won't turn off the light
    Hello all and Happy New Year to you

My house is 3 years old. I have recess lights in my basement on a 2 way switch (one lightswitch on one side of the room, another on the other side). A couple of months ago I went to turn the light off by the lightswitch and it won't go off. So I walked to the other side of the room and used that switch and they went out. It's just been that way and we know not to use the other switch until we found out what was wrong. However, now the lightswitch that we use is a double switchlight (one switch controls the basement light, the other controls the lights to the staircase. Now lately the staircase lights are doing the same thing. I have to walk back down the steps inorder to turn off the light. (Annoying). Finally the other day I find that the lights in my kitchen are now doing the same thing. I have to walk across the kitchen to turn off the light because the other lightswitch won't turn if off when I flip it. These are all recess lights by the way. What is going on? And how much do you think it would cost me for an electrician to look at it. Thanks for your help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 04:24 PM

If they worked correctly before I'd replace the 3 way switch. Becareful to check and mark the wires so you get it right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LOVE is not a LIGHTSWITCH! How could she just turn it off so fast! So confused! [ 24 Answers ]

I was in a relationship for 7 months with a girl I thought I could see myself being with for a while. We fell heavily in love with each other. Feelings I felt for her I never felt for anyone else. Everything was good. We went out a lot. We went on picnics, went to the lake, went star gazing, she...

New light fixture will not turn off. [ 6 Answers ]

I just installed a new lighting fixture in my living room and when I turned the electricity back on, the lighting fixture will not turn off. It is connected to a regular on-off toggle switch that worked perfectly well with the old fixture. I think I connected the wires correctly for the new...

Installing dimmer to a lightswitch with only 1 black and 1 white wire. [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a single pole dimmer switch with a Black, Green and Blue Wire. When I remove the light plate, my light switch has one black wire and one white. Nothing else. How would I install the Dimmer? http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n56/syndash/lightswitch.jpg

Why did my light turn on by itself? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with three light bulbs in it. The switch that toggles up and down on the wall was in the on or up position, but the pull chain on the fan had been pulled down to turn the light off. A separate pull chain had been pulled to pull the fan off. So... the ceiling fan and the lights...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

View more questions Search