Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattypussy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 11:43 AM
    How to get alimony on cheated husband by laws.
    How to get alimony from a husband who cheated on me for many time? And in what condition? I need to know in law.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2008, 11:47 AM

I am not aware of anyone automatically getting alimony if a spouse cheated on them or not. Alimony is determined in a divorce proceeding when one spouse stayed home and did not work at a job and the other spouse did. The nonworking spouse usually has no training or career to fall back on as they stayed home and didn't work. Alimony is not a forever thing either. It is usually what they call rehabilitative alimony and only lasts for a short period - usually no more than 5 years and that also includes retraining or training so the spouse can be self supporting.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I am not aware of anyone automatically getting alimony if a spouse cheated on them or not. Alimony is determined in a divorce proceeding when one spouse stayed home and did not work at a job and the other spouse did. The nonworking spouse usually has no training or career to fall back on as they stayed home and didn't work. Alimony is not a forever thing either. It is usually what they call rehabilitative alimony and only lasts for a short period of time - usually no more than 5 years and that also includes retraining or training so the spouse can be self supporting.
    The fact that the spouse cheated has absolutely nothing to do with this determination.

It will vary from state to state, but unless there were children at home that one parent was home caring for, many courts will not consider spousal support. I know of several cases where one spouse did not work because "he made plenty so there was no need for me to work". The court's response to that was "well, that was your choice, sorry ma'am"

Please note: this is purely anecdotal and not a legal advice post. Just saying what I've witnessed.
    SSgt USAF Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kattypussy View Post
    how to get alimony from a husband who cheated on me for many time? and in what condition? i need to know in law.
    I know your pissed off at him and want to get back at him but do you really want a monthly reminder of this man such as alimony? Just sever the ties and move on. I was in Iraq for 6 months and came home to a wife (now ex wife) who was 1 month pregnant. I walked away with my son and never looked back. Having nothing to do with her and no reminders is the best thing I could ask for. Obviously the guy is a dirtbag, so let him move on with his crappy life. You are bigger than that. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt USAF View Post
    I know your pissed off at him and want to get back at him but do you really want a monthly reminder of this man such as alimony? Just sever the ties and move on. I was in Iraq for 6 months and came home to a wife (now ex wife) who was 1 month pregnant. I walked away with my son and never looked back. Having nothing to do with her and no reminders is the best thing I could ask for. Obviously the guy is a dirtbag, so let him move on with his crappy life. You are bigger than that. :)

Some women need alimony/spousal support to survive, particularly women who haven't worked and have been dependent. Good you could walk away. Good you could take your son with you - I've read your various other posts.

And, as everyone said, fault does not enter into the amount of alimony/spousal support paid.

This is a legal board, not a support board, so please post legal info and be able to back it up with cases, citations, websites.
    SSgt USAF Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2008, 12:23 PM

Good point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband cheated [ 8 Answers ]

Husband cheated on me almost 3mths ago and just now telling me cause of the fact the woman he cheated with is pregnant and claims it could be his I don't know how to deal with this or know if he would cheat again? Help me I guess I need to add some more things to this story My husband and I...

Do I still get alimony if husband takes custody of children after the divorce [ 3 Answers ]

When I got divorced we both got joint custody of children and I got child support and alimony awarded to me for 3 and a half years after,my ex took me back to court and gained custody of children should he still be paying me alimony?

View more questions Search