Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maursby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Bubble in toilet, then Over flow
    I had just flushed the downstairs toilet. It went as normal then got quiet. A minute later the bubbles (big bubbles) started coming up. When the bubbles stopped the water started to fill up and over flow. During all this an upstairs shower was running. I turned off the water upstairs and to the toilet. I emptied with a bucket for awhile until it stopped-What next?? What happened? Thanks for ANY help.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2008, 08:25 PM

Main line stoppage, ask a plumber how much to clear
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2008, 09:18 PM

Your sewer is clogged somewhere after it passes the commode, it will need to be unstopped. Just a warning, all of the water that you run upstairs may come out of the commode downstairs.
    maursby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 11:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    Your sewer is clogged somewhere after it passes the commode, it will need to be unstopped. Just a warning, all of the water that you run upstairs may come out of the commode downstairs.
    I think that is what was coming out of the toilet in the first place... the water from the shower. My husband is trying to fix it-I hope for a plumber soon!! Not sure if this is something we can do without a professional.. please let me know if you have any ideas.Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by doug238 View Post
    main line stoppage, ask a plumber how much to clear

Hoping for a plumber by morning. As far as your disclaimer, I partially agree on your comment: 'do it yourself people are only trying to save money. '

Those do it yourself people are the same 'men' that don't ask for directions-MY HUSBAND! ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maursby View Post
    Hoping for a plumber by morning. As far as your disclaimer, I partially agree on your comment: 'do it yourself people are only trying to save money. '

Those do it yourself people are the same 'men' that don't ask for directions-MY HUSBAND! ;)
    Maursby, this site's set up for do it yourself people. At today's high prices it pays to get advice to do the job yourself. You have a simply blockage downstream from the downstairs toilet. This is a simple repair that can be done by the average homeowner. Nothing complicated here. We could have walked you through snaking the drain and saved you big $. Hope you get repaired and everything's hunky-dory. Regards, Tom
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 29, 2008, 02:14 PM

Yea, just watch it if you open up a clean out in the basement or something.

Suddently all that sewage that was sitting in the line blocked comes gushing out towards your head.

I only say this because I had a clog like this, and after opening the cleanout without thinking, took a bath in sewage.
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 06:20 AM

I never recommend a homeowner use a sewer machine. I think it is too dangerous and the probability of getting hurt is too high. Plus if they get the cable stuck, what are they going to do?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 30, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Doug,
    ask a plumber! Never recommend a homeowner use a sewer machine. I think it is too dangerous and the probability of getting hurt is too high.
    Rather defeats the reason this site exists doesn't it? This site, and especially this page, is dedicated to showing the homeowner how to fix their problem without calling in a plumber. How simply itwould be to just recommend calling a plumberr. Think of the time and research we could save with the advice, "Call a plumber!"
    But this isn't why we're here is it? We aren't the "safety police". Yes it's dangerous to clime up on a roof. Yes the home owner could get a jolt if he forgets to turn off the power before he opens up his electric water heater or pump control.
    No Doug, We're not here to enforce safety rules. We're here to assist thehome owner to do his own repair work with out having to call in a high priced plumber. We can advise against the danger of using heavy machinery but we must, at least, offer the option. Regards, Tom
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Dec 30, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Doug,
    Rather defeats the reason this site exists doesn't it? This site, and especially this page, is dedicated to showing the homeowner how to fix their problem without calling in a plumber. How simply itwould be to just recommend calling a plumberr. Think of the time and research we could save with the advice, "Call a plumber!"
    But this isn't why we're here is it? We aren't the "safety police". Yes it's dangerous to clime up on a roof. Yes the home owner could get a jolt if he forgets to turn off the power before he opens up his electric water heater or pump control.
    No Doug, We're not here to enforce safety rules. We're here to assist thehome owner to do his own repair work with out having to call in a high priced plumber. We can advise against the danger of using heavy machinery but we must, at least, offer the option. Regards, Tom
    Okay - use caution when using the electric snake. But I myself have used them.

And if your rental supply houses are anything like mine, then when you go to rent them, you will get a full lecture on the safety of the machines, and maybe even a few stores of how they have taken a few fingers off.

Safe - yes if respected, and you are instructed on how to use the machine properly.
    Just like you wouldn't go up on roof without someone holding the ladder, I'd just be sure to use to machine with a friend close by in the even you need assistance.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 06:17 AM

Speedball, I own a business and I carry liability insurance. There is a certain liability in giving advice that can hurt someone. While I agree that some plumbers are high priced, some of us are very reasonable and we kind of like working. It pays the bills. Perhaps you remember back before you retired? Wasn't it nice to have a job?
    I don't mind giving advice on the smaller things where a handy person can save a bit, but I have too much to lose by advising anyone to do a dangerous task.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238 View Post
    speedball, I own a business and I carry liability insurance. There is a certain liability in giving advice that can hurt someone. While I agree that some plumbers are high priced, some of us are very reasonable and we kind of like working. It pays the bills. Perhaps you remember back before you retired? Wasn't it nice to have a job?
    I don't mind giving advice on the smaller things where a handy person can save a bit, but I have too much to lose by advising anyone to do a dangerous task.
    I don't mind giving advice on the smaller things
    Then Doug, continue to give advice on "the small stuff"and let the rest of us continue to advise as we see fit. Small stuff? On this site I have drawn up a set of plams for a two bath and powder room ranch house in Texas. In addition to advising a homeowner how to snake a blockage We have assisted askers to cut into a cast iron stack, insert a fitting and jackhammer up cement floors.
    All of which could possibly be harmful if not done correctly. While some questions leave you with no option but to " call a plumber" the bulk of our questions can be performed by our askers with a assist from our experts.
    Doug, I recognize that,
    you own a business and carry liability insurance.
    and I also realize that it's to your advantage, ( to say nothing of profit) to advise calling in a plumber for a simple be lockage but we don't do that here. We give the best advice that we can for the homeowner to do the job without calling in expensive outside help. The last thing a home owner wants to hear when he's asking for our help is CALL A PLUMBER!! regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubble and overflow [ 9 Answers ]

We lived in a house build in 1959 when we moved in a couple years ago one of the previous owner convert the garage into bedroom with bath room shower and toilet added to be second bathroom. The sewer system were working fine until couple days ago when taking a shower in the house the toilet in...

Large bubble in toilet when we flush [ 2 Answers ]

We have just recently moved into a 1400 sq ft apartment in Raleigh North Carolina. Both toilets started giving us trouble right away. They would flush paper OK but not poo and both toilets bubbled, something we have never seen before. We called the apartment office and maintenance has been in to...

Shower causes toilet to bubble & clog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower that is close to a toilet. Infrequently, when someone it taking a shower the toilet will eventually start bubling (with big bubbles). And it seems that usually afterwards the toilet will be clogged (sometimes the shower drain gets clogged too). After awhile, though, the clog...

Bubble, bubble, toilet trouble! [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 2 bath home, ranch style. The toilet and shower in the master are fine, as is the kitchen sink and the laundry room. In the main bath, my toilet won't drain, when plunged out it backs into the tub drain. Also, when I run the water in the tub, it makes the toilet bubble. Same thing...

Bubble in Toilet when washer discharges [ 5 Answers ]

I recently updated a bathroom in our house and have now noticed a few drain problems. It started at the beginning of the week, about 2 days after I finished the toilet and sink installation. There never was a vent on this side of the house, and it is about 75 feet away from the main bathroom that...

View more questions Search