Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuseguy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Installing utility sink next to washer/dryer
    I know this topic has been covered extensively, not only here but all over the web. The problem is that there is so much conflicting information out there. I have gathered the following from what I have read here. 1) It seems that if I want to do this by code, I can not just tap into the washer stand pipe, even though it has a trap and a vent, I would need to create a separate drain line and tap into the vent stack. Also I have read that I may be able to meet code tapping into the washer standpipe as long as I don't put a trap on the sink since this would create a double trap situation. The risk with this would be water backing into the sink basin during wash cycles. Correct me if I'm wrong with these assumptions. I have enclosed 3 pics of my situation. It is a 5 year-old house and the laundry area is in the basement as seen in the photos. The first pic shows the drain stack (vertical 5") on the left, the vent stack (Vertical 2")in the center and the washer stand pipe to the right. The second pic shows the sink where it will sit and the third pic shows the view from the sink drain point toward where it would need to connect. I am a very capable diy'er but plumbing is certainly not my strongest suit. I want to meet codes with this install and also I am not thrilled about water backing up into the sink basin during the wash cycle. So my question is; Looking at my pics, what is the best way to add a drain for my utility sink?
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 28, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Hi Cuseguy...

OK... as in first picture, I would have you cut the 1.5" pipe as indicated and then repipe all so that the 1.5" pipe picks up the utility sink... should just need some primer/cement, pipe, couplings, a new ptrap, a couple 45s, a street 45 and a female adapter and teflon tape OR an 1.5"x6" flanged tailpiece, an 1.5" pvc desanco fitting, and an 1.5" nut.

Then I would have you cut a 3"x2" wye into the 3" stack as shown below in 2nd picture... run this as drawn or as needed, but be sure to add the vent (connecting it at about 48" off the floor into the 1.5" vent for sink), the cleanout and a 2" ptrap with standpipe a minimum of 30"-36" tall.

Be carefull to support the stack properly as you cut/work with it. If stack/pipe will not rise enough to slip the fitting into stack you may need to purchase a SHIELDED CLAMP to make this work.

That is my thoughts on this... let me know if you have any questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Dec 28, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Thank you so much Mark, I really appreciate your help!

Dec 28, 2008, 08:44 AM

I think I've got it. I was on the right track with the additional 3x2 wye, but I wasn't confident enough to just do it without asking a professional. Very good diagrams... thanks again. Off to HD I go!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of install, Washer/Dryer, Utility Sink [ 3 Answers ]

Hey experts! I'd like to know the approximate cost of install of a washer/dryer and a utility sink. I have no problem buying the sink/faucet prior to install, and I already have a washer, I just need to decide on a dryer. I would like do this in my garage. The wall is sheetrock, and on the...

Installing a Utility Sink in Basement [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a utility sink in the basement. My question is related to draining and venting said sink. I will attempt to describe my existing setup in order to narrow the response if possible. I am describing from the perspective of being in the basement and looking at the wall and...

Installing Utility Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in a garage where there is an existing unused washer/dryer hook-up. Can I connect the sink directly to the unused washer drain? This seems like it should be pretty simple, am I missing something? Thank you.

Installing a utility sink in the laundry room [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I want to hook up a utility sink next to my washing machine on the first floor. The washer discharges into a standpipe. The standpipe has a trap, and then connects through a tee to a vertical waste pipe (drain stack?) that goes upstairs through the roof as a vent. Below this tee, there is...

Installing Utility Sink in Basement Laundry [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in my basement laundry. Can I hook the drain into the Stand Pipe for the washer? Or, do I have to hook it into one of the other main waste stacks that drop from the main floor above?

View more questions Search