Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecorn1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Installing a ceiling fan capacitor
    I have a problem with a ceiling fan capacitor I hope you can help me with. My daughter's fan was barely turning and according to the internet it was probably the capacitor. I removed it but was distracted a couple of times and apparently did not write down everything as I took the wires off. Bad me! I took it to Lowe's hoping they would have a replacement which of course they did not. He said it was the speed switch which he carried so I bought one to install.

Now my problem. The capacitor is a 5 wire --2 gray on one end and 3 wires, a brown, purple, and red on the other end. I have everything connected back except the red which connects to the red on the fan but I have 2 wires left, one brown, one gray, with only a gray wire coming from the fan. Do both of those connect to the gray wire.

My capacitor reads as follows.

4.5 uf/ 280v
    6uf/25 ov
    5uf/25ov
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 03:00 PM

These guys have a 4.5, 6 and 5, but don't know if the connections are right.

The capacitor is siuspect, but usually at least one speed will work properly.

This Ceiling Fand wiring Diagrams
    Offers some idea as to how they might be connected.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 06:28 PM

I first recommend connecting everything to the ORIGINAL parts, so you can see where everything goes in case the colors are different on the new parts.

It Wasn't the switch, leave the original switch in there.

Some fans, everything matches up i.e. red-red, grey-grey, purple-purple, etc. There is often more than two of certain colors and they all connect together in these cases.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 06:36 PM

I highly doubt about the disagree. I guess your just trying to promote your own website: Contact the webmaster - Ceiling Fans N More

Note that the email [email protected] is identical to that in your signature.

The diagrams are better than nothing. A five wire cap would be for a start and multiple run capacitors.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 06:47 PM

The next to the last figure on this page: Leeson Single Phase Electric Motor characteristics and applications

Is more likely for a 5 wire capacitor. The "rotary" switch may not be used. The switch is usually a centrfiugal switch and opens when the motor is running. The characteristics of a start cap can be entirely different than a run cap that for these lossy motors, can be eliminated.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
    A note on capacitors and speeds:

What happens is that for the 3 lead run cap there is a common lead to two capacitors. The capacitor value add when paralleled and thus the common and the other two wires have the largest value. This is the highest speed. The lowest value is the lowest speed. The next highest value is the middle speed.

The cap common usually goes to the line and the switch in LOW selects the lowest valued cap. MED speed selects the high valued cap. HIGH selects HIGH and LOW caps together thus making the highest possible capacitance

The 4.5uf cap is probably the start cap based on the odd voltage rating of 280 vs 250V.

If you want to play, insert a 60 W light bulb in series with the line of the fan. It should prevent smoke from appearing.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2008, 07:34 PM

Dude, you're way off base. None of the stuff you're posting is even relevant to the original problem, and most of it is barely relevant to ceiling fans in the first place.

Ceiling fans do not have separate start and run caps. One capacitor is used for both functions, and in some cases, the value changes to dictate the speed. In other cases, such as the diagram you posted, multiple winding taps are used to dictate speed. That clearly isn't the case here as he has a 5 wire cap.

I do not believe that these diagrams are better than nothing. Because they are likely to mislead someone into hooking their fan up incorrectly, thinking their wiring will match the diagram. Then we have a bigger mess to sort out. This is why, on "my" site (and if you read the link you posted you will learn I am not the site owner) there are NO diagrams posted. As I have stated many times, including the last time you posted these diagrams, there are HUNDREDS of different wiring setups for ceiling fan motors. The likelihood that an internet diagram will match the specific fan someone is asking about is slim to none. Before posting wiring instructions, get the make and model, and/or the specific wiring that is already in place. If you can find a diagram that matches exactly, GREAT. Certain fans are standard such as Hunter Originals and Casablancas.

Otherwise, the advice I give to EVERY poster: hook everything up HOW IT WAS. Replace one component at a time. *I* cannot successfully replace a double layer pullchain or 4+ wire capacitor any other way, and if I, who has worked on thousands of ceiling fans, cant, it will take a very lucky break for anyone else to.
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2008, 01:46 PM

Here Ceiling Fans are two DISECTED Ceiling fans. One with a 5 wire capacitor and one with a 3 wire.

Wouldn't life be so much easier if it was packaged with the instructions?
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2008, 11:20 PM

Those diagrams will work if you have a Hampton Bay Littleton, whatever the second fan is, or any other fan with identical wiring. BTW the Littleton is made by SMC.
    pradese Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 12:26 AM
    Why capacitor use in fan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Capacitor on a ceiling fan [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everybody. Newbie on this forum. My ceiling fan is out of order due to capacitor burnout. It is 2.25 MFD. Even when it was working fine, I felt it was not running at full RPM revolutions per minute. My friend suggested that replacing old capacitor with 4 MFD will help resolve RPM...

What ceiling fan capacitor do I need? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, quick background info. I have an approx 2 year old Harbor Breeze ceiling fan (item 188780). After not using it much or at all over the winter we turned it on, but only the high speed would work. Thinking it was a switch problem, I bought a new switch at Lowe's and opened up the fan. ...

SMC ceiling fan capacitor [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know where to obtain a replacement three lead 2.5+4uF capacitor for a model X42M-ML SMC ceiling fan in South Africa or on the internet.

Ceiling Fan Capacitor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Pasadena ceiling fan that started sparking from the light sockets. The fixture sockets and wiring ring out OK and my guess is that the capacitor has an internal problem. It is a 4-wire cap with the blue (light wire) supplying the light fixture. The original is a 3.5uf, 4 uf, 4.5 uf and...

Ceiling fan capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

The fan is a Hunter. In the housing holding the pull chain is a 5-wire capacitor. I bought a pull chain switch 5-8 wire switch with a capacitors in it, brand Harbor Breeze. Will this replacement switch work if the capacitor in it is bad. Or where might I buy a capacitor for it. The capacitor is...

View more questions Search