Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarencej Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Fan blade on my unit won't turn
    My fan blade on my central unit won't turn. It appears it is trying to turn, so I helped it with a screw driver. The fan blade then runs with out fail, but will not cool. I was told that it might be my capacitor? Why is it when the blade turns it won't blow cold air?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 19, 2006, 05:35 PM
    If this is your fan on the outside, (condensor) than it most likely has a start capacitor that helps give the motor a boost in starting. If you manually "started" the motor and it ran, It sounds like that start capacitor is bad.
    Why your AC doesn't blow cold is another matter.
    floridahamster Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jul 20, 2006, 03:15 PM
    Did you confirm your compressor was running?Even with the fan outside running if the compressor isn't running,NO COOL!
    srinivas_durvasula Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Hi everyone, I have a AC unit also and sounds to me like what clerencej's problem was, Yesterday there were high winds and rain and the Power went off 4 times briefly. After that I have been facing the problem that the outlsde blower unit in the condenser is not working. I treid to reset the Condenser unsit by pressing the reset button for high cut off pressure or something close to that, but it starts the fan but the fan is not turning on full speed and then stops after 10 minutes. Do you all think this is capacitor problem as well? IF you could also kinldy let me know how much this might cost for getting it repaired, I would appreiciate it
    dean w Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2006, 08:13 AM
    I just bought a new run capicator for $5 at Grainger. You need to replace it with same specs, AC voltage & microfards. Mine was 370 VAC & 5 microfards. The old capicator will be marked. DISCHARGE OLD ONE before touching.
    stefbass7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2010, 05:07 PM

My outside central air units fan wasn't moving until I hit the top of it with a broom. What's up with that?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clarencej View Post
    My fan blade on my central unit won't turn. It appears it is trying to turn, so I helped it with a screw driver. The fan blade then runs with out fail, but will not cool. I was told that it might be my capacitor? Why is it when the blade turns it wont blow cold air?
    Because your dual purpose capicitor is bad,by spinning the fan blade you was able to give the motor the boost it needed,, but you was not able to give the compressor the boost it needed to start,the compressor not running therefore no cold refrigerant getting pushed to the evaporater coil
    dbjork Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 10:38 AM
    So how is that fixed?
    dbjork Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 10:38 AM
    Because your dual purpose capicitor is bad,by spinning the fan blade you was able to give the motor the boost it needed,but you was not able to give the compressor the boost it needed to start,the compressor not running therefore no cold refrigerant getting pushed to the evaporater coil

So how is this problem fixed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c unit outside won't turn on byitself, thermastat? [ 6 Answers ]

My family went on a trip to see relatives in the country. When we came back the a/c had quit. The inside blower motor works, just the outside unit will not turn on. Everything is fairly new, except for the thermastat on the wall, which is one of those old round mercury like switches. I took the...

How do I sharpen table saw blade [ 19 Answers ]

Can someone explain how to sharpen carbide tipped 10" table saw blades? I have a grinder and a Dremel tool, and I would like to sharpen my blade myself. Please indicate if there is an angle to the tips, just the outer edge sharpened? Please tell me step by step. Thanks.

Flywheel won't turn [ 27 Answers ]

Ok, Yardman is several years old (I believe about about ten years or so) but I have had it a few months. Worked fine for awhile. Last few times I would cut it would cut for a good while then it would just cut off. Battery is weak so I would always have to jump it off beforehand. No problem with...

Air handling unit won't turn off. [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I have moved into new offices and had new server rooms kitted out and went for geothermal cooling, it uses a massive air handling unit to supply the cool air to the server cases but the air handling unit won't stop, I even hit the emergancy stop button on the main control unit. But it Won't...

89 honda civic won't turn over [ 1 Answers ]

Most of the time it starts.Is now acting up once in a while.when you push clutch to the floor you hear a click and that is all.when you keep pushing pedal to floor it will turn over eventually.Can someone please suggest what's the problem or how to fix this? THANK YOU!

View more questions Search