Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gonzalez101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2006, 07:58 PM
    How to buy abandoned homes
    I know there is a way to buy abandoned homes without negotiating with the owner. As you can imagine, some refrain from sharing their secrets. Anyone have any clues?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2006, 08:14 PM
    NO, the owner is the owner ( at least in the states where I have bought and sold property and lived) if they are behind on their taxes, many properties are sold at tax sales each year.

**Each state has its laws on redeemption of this property
    some require you to sell it back to the owner within a certain number of years for the selling price plus interest plus improvements. ( actual cost of improvements not actual value of home)

But you go by, get the address of the home. Go to the court house, find out who the legal owner is, and if there are any loans on the property, even abandoned homes can have large loans against them from previous years when the house was not abandoned. But you get the owners name and address from court records as to who is paying the taxes on them or who is the listed owner on the deed ( they may not always be the same person)

You contact them and make them an offer.

Some properties may have been seized by the city or county also, and when you search you will find they own them. Often taken for past tax or code debts owed when the person who owned the house died, and the estate could or would not pay them.

Also estate auctions ( esp absolute auctions) bankruptcy homes, repro homes sold at auction on the court house steps are all examples of homes you can find cheaper at times. The time and date of these sales are listed in a local newspaper of that city or county that normally publishes legal notices.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
    I am really amazed to think a person could actually find an abandoned home to buy... that is that is still standing! The only abandoned homes I ever see are in such bad shape the ghosts moved out years ago and the goats moved in. Is this for real?:confused:
    FLInvestor Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalez101
    I know there is a way to buy abandoned homes without negotiating with the owner. As you can imagine, some refrain from sharing thier secrets. Anyone have any clues?
    Please do not be offended, but I am going to use the answer I posted for another...

But, I do hope it helps...

In the state of Florida, only government liens or judgements follow the property after sale at a tax deed auction. You would NOT be responsible for the mortgage.

I would suggest, however, checking out our website... we offer seminars to prepare you for Tax Deed Auctions. The site is Page 1 or REALiant Home Page. Florida's Tax Deed Auctions are a great way to invest in real estate for 3 specific reasons. The first is because you, by law, can take immediate possession of the property. Most other states have a 1, 2, 3 year period after the sale for the owner to redeem... not Florida... that all occurs prior to the sale. The second is because you decide how much you want to make on each property. If you have accurately determined a property is worth $20,000... and you want to make $5,000... then your make bid will be $15,000. Of course, that leads us to the third reason... everybody can find what they are looking for regardless of the amount of capital they have (at least a few hundred, anyway). Properties at auctions range from a few hundred to hundreds of thousands... everyone can play... competition is not an issue.

Check us out to learn how to take advantage... we are Florida specific!
    Page 1

Matt
    brandirivers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Comment on magprob's post
    Terrible, stick to the question... this is not a game or joke if you can't answer leave it alone
    katkollmer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Hi. I live in Fredericksburg, VA. We purchased a 1.5 acre track of land with a house. There was a 4.5 acre lot beside us with nothing but trees on it. We want to purchase the property so we called the tax office in Stafford. They haven't paid their taxes in 2 years and would like to know if we pay the taxes to the county, could we get the property?
    FLInvestor Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Katkollmer,

After about 2 years of non-payment, the county (Spotsylvania) will send the property to Thomas Birken. You can fax his office a request to be put on a mailer (540.371.8158) for the next auction. The next auction, I am told will not be until the fall.
    For a little overkill, the statute which guides this public auction is 58.13965.

HTH,

Matt
    tammy23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 11:43 AM
    I live in Michigan how can I find out who owns an abandon home in another township?
    callitnd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
    I live in newark,nj and see many abanded homes, how do I obtain them
    Skybutter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
    You would be amazed at all the abandoned houses her in Ohio that yes you could move into them in live. With some cleaning first of course. I have my eye on one now.
    johnnybroc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 05:22 AM
    Www.myrealist.com this is how I bought my abandoned house. Found out who owned it and wrote a letter. The rest is history.
    heidit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
    I tried to go to www.myrealist.com but it asks for username and password - how do we get one?
    Cortm26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2012, 12:29 AM
    I saw your post about the abandoned house that was in Ohio. I am fixing to move there from Arkansas. My question is did you find the property online or driving around. If is was online where would be a good place to look.
    Thank you so much for your time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandoned Homes [ 3 Answers ]

I have been watching a home in Gardena, California. It has been abandoned for about 10 years. I called the tax assessor's office and they gave me the name of the owner. So I have that which is a good start. I called the city of Gardena to see if they owned the property and they said no. They...

Abandoned and neglected property [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out what's going on with an abandoned house in an area I'm looking to buy, I went to a government site and got the tax info its behind, I also have the name of the owner, I don't no if the house is in forecloser or not. But I'm thinking if I can find out what bank holds the...

Pre-fabricated homes [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a pre-fab home last year. Its about 18 years old, and the previous owners took really good care of it. I need to know if there is a website to help with repairs and maintenance. It's a Fleetwood. Any help would be appreciated.

Pre fabricated homes [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the steps and the process in the construction of a pre fab home. What makes it different from other construction methods?

Help! Abandoned Kittens! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm in need of some deseperate help. I came home from college today to find that two 2 week old kittens had been abandoned in my loft! I need some advice! I have mammalac for them and they will take it froma syringe reluctantly, but I need all the info on little two week old kittens I...

View more questions Search