Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Dec 7, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Get stains out of hardwood floor?
    I've just ripped up the carpet in my house to get at the oak hardwood floor below. There are LOTS of stains. How can I get rid of them before I seal the floor?

I really hope you don't say strip and re-finish... but if you must.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Here is what I found but I think there should be a simpler solution.

I know vinegar is good for floors.

Dealing with stains

Stains are the toughest fix when it comes to hardwood floors. One stain or water ring can ruin the look of the whole floor. Unfortunately, refinishing the entire floor is sometimes the only way to get rid of a stain or ring. But before you rent a sander, try to get rid of the stain. Doing so requires using a gentle touch and the right materials, but it's worth a shot.

Most stains on hardwood floors are very dark, even black. You don't need to try to get rid of the entire stain in one try. Getting rid of the blemish may take several attempts, but you may be successful.

Follow these steps to remove a stain, but remember to always follow safety measures by wearing eye protection:

1. Sand off the old finish.

2. Mix oxalic acid crystals (sold at home centers and paint and hardware stores) in water, carefully following the package directions.

Be sure to wear acid-resistant rubber gloves to prevent injury.

3. Soak a clean white cloth in the acid mixture. Then press the cloth on the stained area and let it set for about an hour.

4. Lift the cloth and check to see whether the stain has been bleached away. If it hasn't, repeat the process.

This step may take several applications, but eventually the stain will be bleached away.

5. After the stain is gone, rinse the area with household vinegar to neutralize the acid.

Wipe away any excess moisture and allow the area to dry completely.

6. Apply a matching oil-based stain lightly to the bleached area.

Use several coats, if necessary, to match. Don't try to match the color with only one application. You can always darken the area with additional coats, but you can't lighten it after it's gotten too dark. If you think the stain is too dark, wipe the area immediately with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. Doing so will remove some of the stain and lighten the area.

After you've achieved the desired color, allow the area to dry overnight.

7. Apply the topcoat finish and blend into the adjacent areas.

Once again, you may not get a perfect match; however, it may be good enough to avoid having to refinish the entire floor. If it doesn't match enough to suit you, refinish the floor.
    Getting rid of nicks and scratches
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 10, 2007, 05:34 AM
    If there pee stains from a dog or cat you probably want be able to get them out, they'll just be to deep to sand out, as for striping , the stain isn't in the sealer its in the wood itself, you'll definitely have to sand all the floors down and refinish them to get any where, as for a price, going rate here is 1.50 per ft. to sand and put 3 coats poly
    huffrobert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
    How do I get stains out of hardwood flooring?
    paulrmathis Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2008, 01:14 AM
    I've been in the wood floor trade for 15 yrs. You will have to refinish the floor. Then, if you're lucky, the stains might come out. What I normally do is take the damaged flooring out put new wood in. but I don't advise that unless you are a pro. Let me guess, the stains are black, in one coner or half of the room. The stains are probably urine from a pet. That means replacement. Pet stains don't sand out. Water stains will sand out. Good luck.
    tayz28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
    I would use a baking soda to neutralize the acid. You cannot neutralize oxalic acid with vinegar (a mild acid).
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
    You will not get stains out of a floor, assuming they are in the wood, without sanding. Even in the top coat they are very difficult and using a lot of chemicals is not smart.
    orthotech2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 04:52 AM
    Our male cat urinated in a wooden weaved basket that was stained with red? So when we picked up basket,there were 3 red stains,how do we clean.when he urinated on just the floor, even if we missed it for a day it never left a stain.How do I clean? This foor was redone less than 2 years ago,so I would like to avoid sanding stains are not that big.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orthotech2012 View Post
    Our male cat urinated in a wooden weaved basket that was stained with red? so when we picked up basket,there were 3 red stains,how do we clean.when he urinated on just the floor, even if we missed it for a day it never left a stain.How do I clean? this foor was redone less than 2 years ago,so I would like to avoid sanding stains are not that big.
    I would put a drop of bleach on the stain to see if it gets the red out.
    2XVTMom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2013, 09:05 AM
    I have water spots on my hardwood floor from my dog drooling across the floor after he drinks his water. What is the best way to get the spots up?
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by huffrobert View Post
    How do I get stains out of hardwood flooring?
    See above and below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glue on hardwood floor [ 5 Answers ]

Just ripped up the carpet and found maple hardwood floors underneath, on one part there is a stretch where it was glued. Does anyone the best producted to use to remove it? Or is sanding my only option? Thanks.

Tile over hardwood floor [ 2 Answers ]

Have a hardwood floor that has some replacement boards in it, in a bathroom. There are some good size cracks between the boards. What would be the best product to use to put between the cracks and level up the floor so I can put down "peel and stick" tile squares on the bathroom floor. Want it to...

Hardwood floor scratches [ 1 Answers ]

A friend helping(yeah right) me move my sofa,slided the sofa across my hardwood floor.Now we have large light streakes on the dark wood.Not deep to touch,just light enough to see soon as soon as I walk in room. What can I do? Short of redoing the whole room.This is a large room and the scratches...

Hardwood floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking up carpet form old hardwood floor and going to put new hardwood floor next to the old, there is about 1/2 inch difference in height what kind of transition do I need between the old and new.

Yellow stains on bathroom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm hoping that there is a simple way to find out if there are leaks under my bathroom floor. These yellow stains keep reappearring,no matter how many times I scrub them off. Also, there is a musty smell in the air and it is always VERY humid. I think perhaps this isn't healthy for me, as I have...

View more questions Search