Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Dec 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Attach bypass closet door guide through carpet to concrete
    I have a set of bypass closet doors and need to attach the little guide in the center to the floor. The floor is carpet and pad over concrete.

My basic idea is to attach a piece of 1/2" oak to the floor on top of the carpet by drilling holes through the carpet into the concrete with a hammer drill, drop in sleeves, then screw the oak and the guide to the concrete over the carpet all in one shot. This would require pretty precise alignment of the holes.

Another idea would be to make a couple holes in the concrete and screw the oak to the concrete floor first. Then I would make a separate set of screw holes in the oak for the guide. This would require less precision attaching the oak to the concrete, and allow easier alignment of the guide.

Make sense? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 05:23 PM

I'd go with your second idea. Be carefgul drilling through carpet, the bit can snag a thread and give you a run in the carpet befire the drill can be stopped. When I drill in carpet I usually take a red hot nail head and melt myself a hole through the carpet and seal the edges at the same time. Doesn't work so well on wool.

Dec 22, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I'd go with your second idea. Be carefgul drilling through carpet, the bit can snag a thread and give you a run in the carpet befire the drill can be stopped. When I drill in carpet I usually take a red hot nail head and melt myself a hole through the carpet and seal the edges at the same time. Doesn't work so well on wool.
    Thanks for the feedback, and the helpful hot nail trick.

Any thoughts on size or type of concrete anchor? Based on my very limited knowledge (what I found on the net today), I was planning to use something I can drop into a pre-drilled hole and use a regular wood or sheet-metal screw. Or do you have a better idea?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 01:45 PM

I buy small packets of plastic anchors and they usually come with the recommended screw. I would not use a wood screw but sheet metal is probably just fine.

Dec 23, 2008, 03:46 PM
    I'll look for those, thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I attach closet flange spacer over old flange [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a new tile floor in my bathroom, and in doing so, raised the level of the floor. I went out and purchased a closet flange spacer kit and it came with the spacer and two rubber gaskets. I need to know how to attaché these. So I put the first gasket on, then the spacer, then do I...

How do I attach a door to a concrete wall? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I attach a door to a concrete wall? How can I attach the door hinges to a concrete wall?

Drywalling a bypass closet door frame [ 5 Answers ]

I am drywalling a closet in my basement addition. This is designed for a 5ft bypass door. The closets like this in the upstairs of my home have a 1/2" piece hanging approx 3" down from the top of the door opening to hide the slider that the doors will hang on. Is there a trick to building that...

How can you attach a wood wall to concrete floor? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to build wood wall non bearing in a basement and attach the bottom plate to a concrete floor. What is the easiest and most secure method to do so. Should I use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate? Thanks.

Carpet over concrete [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm having carpet installed over a concrete floor in the lower level of my bi-level. My question is... what is you opinion (pros and cons) of laying 1/2 or 1/4" subfloor? I'm don't think I would use drilock as it's $$ but was thinking of using plastic (V barrier) with a OSB laying over...

View more questions Search