Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GINGONEMAD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 12:48 PM
    We have a urine smell coming from our heating vents
    We have a urine smell coming from our heating vents :eek: it just started today we have no pets so it can't be that and we rent our home and to call the landlord would take him 6weeks to even come look at it. (slumlord) But it is so gross it is making us all gag from the smell it smells like old human urine and it is about 30f out side and going down to 7f so no hope of just turning the heat off it only comes from the vents started today and only when the heat is running.
    And just in case someone is thinking it no no one used ithe vent as there personal bathroom lol
    Someone PLEASE HELP!! FAST
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Dec 20, 2008, 01:24 PM

If you can get near the furnace and the plenum where the vents are attached, you can get some Lysol disifectant and spray it in to see if that helps/ It sounds as if the previous tenant may have had cats that used the vents as their own personal spaces. The only way yo totally get rid of this is to physically clean the vents out all the way back to the furnace. Maybe the odor is only in the plenum and that can be cleaned faily easily. Good Luck and if the landlord is a , call the health department or local building inspector.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 20, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Yep someone went in the ducts since they were to lazy to go to the regular bathroom.The board of health will get quick action from the landloard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical Smell Coming through air vents [ 1 Answers ]

My question is going to sound odd, but every professional I have spoke to on the phone has said they have never hear of such an issue. Last Friday, we had some asphalt removed from our garage door that was splattered by the company who repaved our driveway. The same company came out to clean up...

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

Urine like smell from clean unclogged toilet, coming intermittently [ 3 Answers ]

I have a persistent smell coming from one of our often used toilets like stale urine, identified by one handyman as sewer gas smell. I have had the toilet bowl removed, the wax seal replaced, and the toilet bowl base caulked again, but the smell goes on, at times very strong, at other times faint....

Urine smell from a/c vents [ 5 Answers ]

I have a new home and new a/c, and a urine smell comes out of the vents after it reaches the set temp. How can I get a fresher smell out of it?

View more questions Search