Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Dec 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
    How do I snake my bathtub drain?
    Whenever I try to push the snake down the drain, it comes out the top drain hole.
    Here is the snake that I used;
    Name:  KIF_2811.jpg
Views: 23427
Size:  46.9 KB
    Here is a picture of the tub;
    Name:  KIF_2808.jpg
Views: 24134
Size:  28.2 KB
    Name:  KIF_2809.jpg
Views: 27412
Size:  31.4 KB
    Twice before in the past 4 years I was able to successfully get the snake down the drain and remove a hair ball and than the water would flow fine for the next year or two, but the snake would usually just pop out of the top drain hole.
    Tonight I tried to snake the drain because it was running slow again and I couldn't get it to go down the drain at all, it just kept popping out of the top hole again:mad:
    Does anyone know how to get the snake to go down the pipe and not keep going up to the other drain:confused:
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:48 PM

Now that you have the overflow part out put the snake down that and not the tub drain hole I don't know how long your snake is but if its long enough that should work.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:54 PM

Snake it from the tub waste and overflow, (see image). Unscrew and remove the overflow plate, (The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable (1/4" best or 3/3" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridged K50 sink cable.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. Clogs in tub drains are from the hair and the worm should auger into it and pulls it back, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:56 PM

Now that you have the waste part out snake down that hole not the drain hole if your snakes long enough. I hope you still have the screen for the tub drain if not you can get ones at the hardware stores.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 04:34 PM

You are using correct size snake ( 1/4" ). Be patient. Insert it through upper hole (overflow) and try to get it past trap - about 4' deep.
    VIII2368 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Try use Zep professional Drain Opener, one cup. Run some water down after 5 minutes.
    thommyschnak Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Dec 19, 2008, 06:45 PM

I never thought that I would be so happy to find something so disgusting, and if this is success, I would hate to see failure LOL
    Name:  KIF_2812.jpg
Views: 21064
Size:  53.8 KB
    Thank you all for your help, especially you John, I am the kind of guy that needs to see a picture of how it works, and your diagrams were awesome! :D
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 07:01 PM

Great last photo ! Suggestion: purchase tub drain strainer to prevent hair entering drain. The drain strainer lays on top of the tub drain and can be cleaned daily...
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 12:37 AM

Great job and I am happy that it worked for you now you know what to do if it happens next time. Do one more thing pour 1/4 of gallon bleach in your tub drain leave it over night when you get up in the morning pour a bucket of very very hot water it will clean any remaining hair/soap, have a very nice holidays, Thanks.

John
    jmcgow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Just did my first bathtub snaking. Entering from the overflow is the key and gives you a straight shot to the trap.
    johnnyg58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Thanks to everyone, your answers helped. I finally was successful and thought I would offer some techniques that might be helpful. First, make sure the front of the snake doesn't have a bend in it. It works better when it is straight. Then, after you have inserted the snake in the overflow to the point where you meet with resistance, put out only about 6 inches of snake and then tighten the thumbscrew on the snake. Then start turning the snake and gently move it in and out about an inch while turning keeping pressure on it. The pressure on the snake help force it into the right path and the movement in and out will help the snake find the right path. When you are getting it, you will see that the 6 inches will reduce as the snakes enters the drain further. Then stop and pull out another 6 inches from the snake and repeat getting it down further. Keep doing that until the snake can be easily pushed by hand down the drain. Eventually you will come to the clog. Then tighten the screw and turn and the wire on the end should collect the clog as it turns. Try the drain and make sure that after you think you got it that the water flows. Then back out the snake and be prepared for exactly what you see in the picture above -- yuck. Be patient -- this is like a puzzle to get it in.
    johnnyg58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 06:51 PM

One more thing -- I took a Poland Spring water bottle and crushed it and shoved it fit into the drain hole on the bottom of the tub. This helps to keep the snake from coming back out the tub drain and helps force it to the proper path. Good luck.
    kenc3dan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Twisting the snake and slowly advancing (6 or so inches at a time) finally did the trick about 9 feet from the drain. Monster clog! I may need electro-therapy to blot out the image of it in my mind.
    kenc3dan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Twisting the snake and slowly advancing (6 or so inches at a time) finally did the trick about 9 feet from the drain. Monster clog! I may need electro-therapy to blot out the image of it in my mind.
    marnen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 11:06 AM
    Yup, this did the trick for me. Going in through the overflow was enough to make the snake hit the clog. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2011, 11:19 AM
    Thanks for sharing this with us and wish you happy Holidays.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub slow drain (used to drain OK!) [ 15 Answers ]

First, Hello to everyone and thanks in advance for any help. My bathtub used to drain properly (I think.) but not fast IIRC. I've done some searching around the site and found a few good ideas. So according to some suggestions, I've done the following. Unscrewed and remove the overflow...

Snake stuck in drain pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I used a power snake with 1/2 in cable, went in 10 - 15 feet and it wouldn't go an further. Now the snake won't go in or out. How can I get it out. I bought a retrieval tool with a 3/8 inch cable. How do I use it.

Snake stops short in bathtub overflow [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to cure a very slow bathtub drain... I bought a snake that attaches to my power drill. I took off the overflow hole cover (the cover also holds the Drain stopper switch, and the switch from shower-to-tub, So I pulled out some attached gear along with the cover). The snake when down...

Bathtub drain [ 5 Answers ]

I want to update the tub drain with new style "step on" seal. How can I remove (unscrew) the old drain since there is nothing to grab on to turn it .

Can I snake a drum trap bathtub? [ 5 Answers ]

OOOOHHHH, I'm sooo frustrated! We are having our bathtub redone in just a few weeks complete with a replacement of the drum trap. The bathtub has been draining slow for quite some time and yesterday decided to stop draining completely. The bathtub upgrade absolutely cannot be moved any closer...

View more questions Search