Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doksdarlin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 11:47 AM
    My husband is on Disability, I work, do we file joint?
    My husband was approved for Disablitly as of January this year. He has not worked for several years. We just got married in April of this year. We have never filed taxes together. I usually filed single head of household because of my 11 yr old daughter. We now have another child (9 months old). How should we file, and will he get in trouble for not filing taxes for the last few years, he was not working, so he had no regular income. He is afraid it will make me owe taxes, instead of getting a refund. Any advise is helpful.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 12:02 PM

It is almost always most advantageous to go with Married Filing Jointly, as the tax rates are better than if you file as Head of Household.. If your husband had little income the past few years he need not worry about not having filed - for example for 2008 as a single person he would not need to file if his income was less than $8950. The limit was a little less in previous years, but you get the idea.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Agreed. The odds are that your husband had NO tax liability, and therefore NO legal obligation to file.

So file jointly. If the IRS thinks tax returns for your husband are needed for the past years, they will let you know.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 01:07 PM

Agree. Filing jointly is generally the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file taxes when receiving disability? [ 24 Answers ]

I am a single mother receiving social security disability. Do I need to file a tax return?

How do I file taxes if I am on disability? [ 6 Answers ]

How would I go about fileing for taxes if my wife works and I am on disability?

Husband on permanet disability because of 2x cancer [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone. Please I need some help to a few questions that have come up into our lives. First let me say, my husband has worked for over 30 years in the same job and has just started to receive permanet disabilty because he has cancer for the second time in 4years. My question is my husband...

Should I file for s.s. Disability when I have private long-term disability insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

I will shortly begin collecting private long-term diability insurance to the tune of 60% of my former salary. Can I still apply for social security disability? If I do, would either or both of these be decreased?

Social Security Disability and Joint Tax Return [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was recently approved for social security disability. I am unable to work so the social secuirty is my only income, but my husband works. We have been filing a joint return in past years. If we do this again this year, will this make my social security income taxable? In otherwords,...

View more questions Search