Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatrinaM7980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Married 2 months, can I still file single
    I got married in Nov, can I still file single since I have only been married for 2 months out of the year? I think with most other stuff it has to be in effect for 6 months or more, not sure if it applied to being married as well. :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 10:41 AM

No, you file what you are on the last day of the year. But why would you not want to file married, you can file married filing separate if you wish.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 08:34 AM

Filing joint return is always a better option, as some benefits are not available if you file as married filing separately.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 09:22 AM
    What MukatA is not quite true!

The "marriage penalty" was, for the most part, fixed when the Bush tax cuts were passed, so it is possible (though not likely) that you could benefit by filing Married Filing Separately instead of filing jointly with your spouse.

The only way to be sure is to prepare the return BOTH ways and compare the results. A competent tax pro will do this as a matter of routine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Single for the year 2007 ( got married Jan 2008 ) - how to file taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was single for the tax year 2007 since I got married this year( 2008 ). I was told that I should be filing as single - is it correct? If filing as single, how do I apply Tax Id for my spouse,she is in US since Jan 2008. Appreciate your assistance, thanks for your time Rams

Should file single or married [ 1 Answers ]

I married in November 2007. My wife came to usa in jan 2008. I was on OPT till sep 2007 and then after on H1B visa. I also want to claim my GC holder parents. How should I file my tax to get maxium return. I am an indian citizen.

File Married or Single? [ 1 Answers ]

If I was only married for 3 months in 2007, do I have to claim married on my taxes? I usually claim my mom and brother and receive an EIC. My husband usually claims himself and his two kids and receives an EIC. Our combined income puts us over 54,000. We got married in October of 2007. We...

File as married & self-employed: live in NY and do biz in Florida. Where do I file? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY in the beginning of 2007. I am a freelance designer and I do business with clients in New York and Florida. I receive 1099s from my clients, both in New York and Florida, but i am not sure were do I have to file. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

View more questions Search