Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jj23 Posts: 32, Reputation: -2

Dec 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Can my rights be taken away without my knowledge?
    I have a two year old son that lives 60 miles away. I do not see him very often due to being in extreme debt and having to work two jobs seven days a week. The mother of my child just remarried, is pregnant again and is being a hateful person, saying he is not mine, has claimed my son was dead for attention more than once this year, and harasses me to where I have had to block three of her and her new husbands phone numbers. She has already told me that she has a friend at the prosecutors office in New Albany, INdiana and has all my information and told me she's going to get my parental rights terminated. It is very stressful for me because I can't spend the time with him and to top it off I just had part of my hand amputated on so I have just fallen into deeper debt and have no time off. Can my parental rights be taken away even when I pay child support, but I have financial and past health issues? Please can someone help me if it helps I live in Bartholomew county and the court is in Floyd County in Indiana.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 10:04 PM

Don't stress over this. No, they are not going to take away your parental rights (assuming you have them to begin with). And they aren't going to be able to do anything without proper notice to you and your opportunity to be heard. Look for a low cost legal consulation in your area.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 08:10 AM

Do you already have a custody order in place? Have you been established as the child's father by DNA testing? If not, then you need to take those steps immediately before she disappears completely with your child.

If you've already been established as the biological father, then no, she cannot legally take away your parental rights. I highly doubt her "friend" is going to risk their career just to get back at you.

Dec 16, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Do you already have a custody order in place? Have you been established as the child's father by DNA testing? If not, then you need to take those steps immediately before she disappears completely with your child.

If you've already been established as the biological father, then no, she cannot legally take away your parental rights. I highly doubt her "friend" is going to risk their career just to get back at you.
    Yes I am the father, and I'm on the birth certificate, however because I have such horrible financial problem since last year, I cannot barely see him as I have to work seven days a week. We have been doing visits wo court until the mother got pregnant again and had to get married now I have no contact because of harassment issues with her. So I am just at wits end, I have nowhere to turn cause I was a young and dumb boy but am trying to make better. She also threatens my mother, to take her right to see him as well because she's pissed off I'm not with her. I just don't know Indiana rights and her "friend" has looked up and given her all my info even ssn but I can't prove who it is any info on that??
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 08:23 PM

What you need to do is go to court and enforce visitation. Get it court ordered. That way she can't deny you and she won't be moving any time soon. You need to figure out what you can handle and maybe even ask your mom for help if she's close to babysit when needed because of your workload. But you really need to adjust your life so you can make time for your child.

Dec 16, 2008, 08:26 PM

Is there anyway there could be some kind of mediator when I get him for visitation. She is out of control I want nothing to do with her she is that nuts, I'm sorry to say, she has just gone completely overboard to where I don't even want to be in the same state as her
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 08:32 PM

It wouldn't be a mediator. But you could ask for a mutual party that you both can feel comfortable with as far as drop off and pick ups are concerned. A lot of times if there is daycare involved then you could pick up the child from there on " your " days. That way she's not present. Then you will have to plan for dropping off. Again so long as your reasonable in your request it might be granted. The courts seek the best interest of the child and if there is extreme drama going on then its in the child's interest to be protected from it.

Dec 16, 2008, 08:44 PM

Well if drama is screaming, cussing, and being hateful (on her part) then yes, its gotten so bad I just want to give up and all she is concerned with is getting all the money she can out of me and making me "suffer" as she has put it, and has also told me she will tell my son I never loved him or wanted to see him. I love him, I just can't take her mouth and now she has a new husband doing the same, all I have is my mother and she is refusing to let my mom see him as well.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 08:47 PM

Make sure you document all of that and keep diligent records. If she sends emails or leaves messages on your phone save them. Use an answering machine that has a tape so you can save it easier. Also you can have conduct put into the parental contract and if she does say anything derogatory to the child about you she can be held in contempt of court.

Dec 16, 2008, 08:53 PM

Well I only have one about her having a friend at the prosecutors office and knowing my info, didn't care if I was hurt, and I have one of her husband cussing me out threatening to call a lawyer if I don't do this or that so I've had to block three numbers already so I have no contact until they use a different phone, but I erased the texts and voicemails, they were nonstop harassment I couldn't take it anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lab: scientific knowledge [ 2 Answers ]

I'm Writing my chemistry lab about how magnesium makes a chemical reaction when it is collocate in hydrochloric acid, which if it pops then hydrogen has been made. I don't know what to put on my scientific knowledge help!! :(

Lien without knowledge [ 3 Answers ]

I recently received a copy of my credit report, something I have never done in the past, and found that a lien was filed in May of 1997 with our local common pleas court, with a court case number. I have no idea what this is - can a court case against me take place without my knowledge? Thank you!

Judgement without knowledge [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering if someone can help. I went to the bank the other day and both my joint savings & checking was negative $3850.00-EACH!! When I went to the bank manager he said a legal firm had froze my account for those amounts. When we called the firm, they could not even find me in their system. I had...

Asking for knowledge! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi thank you so much that U answered my quseting. So I have other questions hope I get answer to them. 1\ What is the advantage of using a low pressure switch to control Compressor operation? 2\ What should I do to set low pressure swith in order to maintain A cabint...

Knowledge repository [ 1 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me what a knowledge repository is. Can you tell me what one is and can you give me an example of one. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

View more questions Search