Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thelightguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Pilot light lit, but burners won't ignite?
    I've got an older Williams model Propane furnace (model # 450sfa-2) controlled by a Lux 1500 Thermostat, and I've tried everything I can think of. The Pilot lights and stays lit, but the burners will not ignite. Any help will be appreciated, it's been cold the last few days (<45 degrees... inside!:eek:) Thank you!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 11:59 PM

The one possibality ( if this is what you have) woud be your thermocouple. A standard gas valve has to lines. One is small line and it sends gas to the piolt spot. Now how this works is the gas sends gas to thr piolt opening and by that little flame is a thermocouple. This looks like a 1/8" copper flexable solidwire. What this does is it heats up and the actual gas valve senses and knows there is flame so the gas valve will completely turn on. Its an old saftety device so gas not lit won't fill up the house and blow things up. Np matter what you have There is the first start. I would like to know exactly what you're a to z to light and tyr to start up the furnace? And did the piolt light just blow out and this is the seasons first start up? I will look for your comeback and maybe we can narrow this down. Good luck and get warm.
    thelightguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    The one possibality ( if this is what you have) woud be your thermocouple. A standard gas valve has to lines. One is small line and it sends gas to the piolt spot. Now how this works is the gas sends gas to thr piolt opening and by that little flame is a thermocouple. This looks like a 1/8" copper flexable solidwire. What this does is it heats up and the actual gas valve senses and knows there is flame so the gas valve will completly turn on. Its an old saftety device so gas not lit won't fill up the house and blow things up. Np matter what you have There is the first start. I would like to know exactly what your a to z to light and tyr to start up the furnace? And did the piolt light just blow out and this is the seasons first start up? I will look for your comeback and maybe we can narrow this down. Good luck and get warm.

That's what I was coming across in my research. The thermo coupler, but I had ruled it out, because wouldn't it make the pilot go out?

This is the first light of the season in a new house.
    From A to Z...

I filled the propane tank, turned the valve outside on. Came inside, pressed the red button (the gas valve is an Essex, don't know if that makes a difference) for about 15-20sec, lit the pilot (I was able to do this without opening the inspection door) , turned up the thermostat (you can hear it click at the thermostat) and nothing.

I've downloaded the manual for the thermostat and checked it out, replaced the batteries and re-set it, but it seems to be working fine...

It's probably something stupid I'm over looking, but I've never had to do work with a furnace like this before, I've always used a wood stove.

Thanks for the fast reply!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2008, 01:49 AM

Wood stoves are very dependable. No thermo coupler has nothing to do with the pilot lighting. That is the Pre were ready thing. The thermo coupler is the police of stop or go tp the gas valve. I am assuming the pilot light was lit for a while before you called for heat. Iam not sure of your set up but the gas valve isn't getting the get go orders. Look for any resets on a control spot. When you call for heat is the relay transfomer clicking. Boy I hope I can get you started. How old the unit?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 05:59 AM
    After you lit the pilot make sure you turned the gas valve to on instead of pilot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier heating unit, we lit pilot but others burners will never light and so we have [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We are freezing to ice cubes here, please someone help us with an answer. We lite the pilot on our Carrier system just as the instructions on the panel say to do, but when we turn it to on nothing happens. The blower blows cool air. The burners are not lighting inside. Last year...

Goodman pilot light on but furnace burners will not come on? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Goodman furance that will not produce heat. The pilot light is on, the gas is released, but the burners will not kick in. Do you have any idea what is causing this problem.:confused: Scott's Chicago

Furnace pilot is on, but burners do not ignite [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier furnace 201BB and the pilot comes on but theburners do not ignite all the time. What can I do. Is there a part that needs changed. HELP

Furnace trouble. Pilot lights. Burners light but then go out. Evetually stay on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I searched through this site a bit and found some helpful topics, tried a few things and I'm still have the same trouble. I have a Bryant furnace that uses a Johnson Controls G779LHA-1C Ignition Control. The ignition control is new, I just replaced it a week ago. It's hooked up so...

Emergency, How can I re-ignite the pilot light? [ 2 Answers ]

Need help! The pilot light disappeard, and I tried to re-iginite by match, by lighter, but all fail. I need emergency help from you, please! :o

View more questions Search