Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amd128 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Boyfriend still legally married
    I've been in a relationship with a 43 year old man (I'm 39) for about a year and we came together out of our own marriages. I was married for 5 years and have been legally separated for almost 11 months. The man I'm with now was married for 16 years and they have a 16 year old daughter. He is still legally married with no sign of a legal separation agreement even being started and he hasn't yet introduced me to his daughter. My ex has moved out of the town that we live in and there is no communication between he and I. My boyfriend's wife and daughter live in the same town we're in, and he visits his daughter at his house a few times a week and his wife calls him often, mostly regarding their daughter.

I have several times over the past year asked about his plans for starting a legal separation. Most often we end up fighting about it because I believe he doesn't want to talk about it. He seems to get defensive and I begin to feel that he's defending his wife and sparing her feelings while sacrificing mine. This week we came head to head on this issue and last night he very clearly said that although he hears me, he is not going to do anything right now, but he also didn't want to do anything 6 months ago. I understand it's Christmas time (which he's planning to spend some time with his daughter and I have no problem with, but it also means he'll be spending time with his wife on Christmas day), and I'm not expecting him to do anything right now. All I've been looking for is a sign that he's going to do this sometime soon (i.e. within the next 6 months) and I'm afraid he won't. He's afraid of losing his daughter once the separation process starts, but he really shouldn't be because his wife is very open to a continued healthy relationship with their daughter. He still financially looks after both of them and I know he will ensure that continues to happen even after a legal separation and divorce.

I know he loves me and I love him, we've talked about getting married someday and starting our own family, but I'm starting to feel disrespected and ignored when it comes to my feelings about this. I get so frustrated when we can't seem to talk about it and at times he becomes accusatory towards me by suggesting that I'm just doing this to try and end our relationship. I'm just looking for comfort and reassurance, but most often I get the opposite.

I'm also concerned that he hasn't introduced me to his daughter, but I understand that if she doesn't want to meet me (and I know his wife doesn't want her to meet me), I will not force him to bring her into our life right now. Maybe he's also not ready for her to meet me?

Am I being unreasonable about this? Do I just need to wait until it happens, no matter how long it takes? I'm just looking for reassurance from him that he will make a solid commitment to me and us, and my concern is growing as more time passes.

I'm starting to feel like I'm being taken advantage of which isn't a good place to be. I need some perspective on this please!

Thanks.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 08:35 AM

Honestly, it does sound like you are being taken advantage of. He is having his cake and eating it too... you're being the sweet, sprinkly frosting on his stale "marriage-cake."

You deserve better than this.

In my opinion, your best course of action is to tell him that you are out of the relationship until he is legally separated/divorced. He's still married; that means that you are having an affair.

Be strong - do what needs to be done.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 10:12 AM

He is still legally married with no sign of a legal separation agreement even being started
    So what are you still messing with him for?? All due respect, but its very obvious he is not looking for anything at this time, and has other things on his mind, and its not about you.

Its about him having someone to ease the pain, and chase the loneliness away. Disappear from his life ASAP!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 02:05 PM

Guess I ask the question, you are hung up on a "legal seperation" why are you not divorced yourself,

You are still as legally married as he is, separated is not divorced.

And perhaps he is still in a dating stage, not really to make a commentment ( I will assume you are not living together)
    He does not want to introduce someone to his child's life, unless there is a need or at a point he is making a commitment.

I could understand at least 6 months, I have been dating now for 3 and have not introduced them to my son and not sure when I will.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 02:07 PM

Fr_Chuck brings up a going point... what IS "legally separated" anyway? I've never really been clear on the whole issue...
    amd128 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 02:40 PM
    To add more information, I'm not divorced yet because where I live, a year has to pass from the date of the separation agreement before a divorce can be finalized. My divorce will come through in February.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 02:46 PM

How much longer are you willing to wait?

I mean he talks about marriage and having a family, but you are 39 and he is 43. Time is not on your side.

If he loved and cared for you, he would at least start the process of divorcing.

Maybe... after the holidays!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 03:03 PM

Actions speak louder than words so you watch that instead of listening to the words that are coming out of his mouth.

He can't be your boyfriend if the both lf you are still married. If you stay with him don't be surprise if two years from now your still be in this same situation. You should move on with your life because it's clear that he will never file for a divorce and meeting his daughter is the least of your problems and to be honest you shouldn't even want to met her since he's still maried to her mother.

Also, you don't know what he is telling his wife so don't believe what he say regarging her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I legally evict ex boyfriend? [ 15 Answers ]

He's been living with me for a while, but has never paid the mortgage. He does pay some utilities, but now is refusing to leave. He is verbally abusive and has made threats. I fear that he will harm me physically, but has not yet. I tried to get a TPO and was denied because there is not physical...

We are boyfriend and girlfriend, but we are legally married [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I are presently legally married, but are not legally separated. We are expecting a new addition. She is 4 months pregnant. How do we determine the last name of a child?

Legally married? [ 3 Answers ]

My mom was married in jamaica... she is going through a rough marriage and I was wondering if there was any possibility she is not legally married?? She had her drivers license swiped in a restaurant the other day and it came up her maiden name even though her married name is on her drivers...

Wondering if I am legally married [ 12 Answers ]

I just found out that my husband has a legal marriage in Italy and was wondering if our marriage here in the united states is legal since he is already married in another country. Please Help. Worried Sick

I just found out my boyfriend is still legally married... What do I do? [ 16 Answers ]

Whyyyyyyy do guys have to be so confusing?? Why why Why why?! What should I do? Should I ask him how he feels? I'm not even sure if we're in a relationship or if were just friends that make out. -____- Nrgh! There's other issues I'm having trouble dealing with, why do I always fall?? Fine, you know...

View more questions Search