Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solstice Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Butane huffing
    I think my son is huffing butane. I can't seem to find out some answers that would help me. How much butane does it take to get high? How long do you stay high for? My son has done SEVERAL Urine Analysis tests and they come back clean. But I have found 5 lighters in his room and he doesn't smoke. I also found a 2oz bottle of butane in his car. So does he fill the lighters? I don't get it.. And if he is huffing that is why the UA tests come back clean.

Sometimes I will see him and he doesn't seem all there... Sometimes his eyes will be really dialted at times they shouldn't be. Sometimes I go into in his room in the morning and it smells... Not like alcohol.. Not like body odor... I just can't place the smell. Sometimes his lips and face look kind of swollen looking and he is a skinny kid - 6' 1" and 140#'s we were at 130 so we gained since xmas a little...

ANY guidance would be great! :confused:

Solstice
    JFFTidus Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Oh boy I'm sorry that I took so long for someone to answer this one. Yes there's a way to find out. You need to look at your area for a store that provides Butane gas. I'm not sure what kind of area you live in but if he is huffing he will need to get his supply someplace. Also some investigating is in order. You will need to listen or have a listening device at night. If you hear a low hissing sound that's when you should walk in. Another thing is to try to follow him when he leaves the house to dispose of the can. Make sure your not seen though! He will if he is huffing be very paranoid. It's a side effect. This is a very serious issue that's life threatening.
    ThinkPeople Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Did you ever consider talking to your child? No but this clown is telling you to spy on your kid. OK if you kid figures out that you spying on him it will only push him further away. Talk to your son, its most likely all he really wants. As to the moron before me, spying doesn't work ever, and people like you make their children into terrible people or wrecks of people.

Think with your head, talk to you son. If he is getting high you will be able to get it out. Just keep asking him over and over till he admits it. From what you said he is likely doing something, but making him feel resented over it is the wrong attitude.

Don't reject your son any more, you prob made him go to drugs because you were too busy to care about him?

I may be off base, but then again I'm a heavy drug user and I know what its like. You son is not a bad person, neither are you. Love solves problems, not spying not drugs tests. Its science.

I typed this in a irate mood and don't feel like spell checking.
    twyza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 09:03 AM
    How do you know your son is inhailing butane? I used to be a solvant abuser and believe me, butane is not the only way you can get high, benzine, petrol, window cleaner, deoderant and bassically any other aerosol, the list goes on.

When you say you walk into his room and smell that weird smell, that might be benzine... and you also say that his face gets swollen, that's not from butane, I went through a stage where I was inhailing about 2 or 3 cans a day and I never had my face swell... I really don't think he is using butane, but a good indication that he is, is if he finishes his deoderant quickly, also smell your bathroom towels for a perfume smell as you use the towel to filter the perfume and other crap so that your just left with butane.

The only way you can find out if your son is doing what you think he is, is by catching him red handed. That's how my folks found out and after that I stopped. I promise you this butane story is bad and your son is not going to just stop or openly addmit. Solvant use leads to kidney failure, heart problems and acute insanity...
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twyza View Post
    how do you know your son is inhailing butane? i used to be a solvant abuser and believe me, butane is not the only way you can get high, benzine, petrol, window cleaner, deoderant and bassically any other aerosol, the list goes on.

when u say u walk into his room and smell dat weird smell, that might be benzine...and u also say that his face gets swollen, thats not from butane, i went through a stage where i was inhailing about 2 or 3 cans a day and i never had my face swell...i really dont think he is jus using butane, but a good indication that he is, is if he finishes his deoderant quickly, also smell your bathroom towels for a perfume smell as you use the towel to filter the perfume and other crap so that your just left with butane.

the only way u can find out if your son is doing what u think he is, is by catching him red handed. thats how my folks found out and after that i stopped. i promise you this butane story is bad and your son is not going to just stop or openly addmit. solvant use leads to kidney failure, heart problems and acute insanity....
    Being as this post was started over a year ago,the original poster probably isn't going to answer this answer.
    NoahLDiamond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
    I have 4 1 pound propane tanks. I have two special adapters. I use them to CHARGE MY AIRSOFT MAGAZINES! I also have a can of butane. I use to refill my lighters because it is cheaper to get a nice lighter once and change the flint and refill it, and it is safer than a Zippo since it is not fluid and won't leak into your pocket.

I use the propane tanks in place of Green Gas. Green Gas IS propane with silicone oil added, and I add my own oil to the adapter.

BE VERY CONCERNED IF YOUR CHILD HAS A PROPANE TO AIRSOFT ADAPTER BUT NO AIRSOFT GUNS TO CHARGE. It means they may be using the adapters to huff the propane more easily. These adapters actually make the propane WAY more dangerous as it comes out at a high pressure and is VERY cold, and it usually causes the lungs to freeze and explode. If it can light a fire and propel a BB in a gas blow back full metal 1911 pistol and cycle 15 rounds in a single stack tiny magazine twice on one charge... It will EASILY blow out your lungs. How many PSI and how much frostbite can your lungs take?
    dutchman1967 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 08:21 AM
    @ThinkPeople... you're an idiot... don't come across as though you have the ONLY solution to the problem...

Dont reject your son any more, you prob made him go to drugs because you were too busy to care about him?

Seriously? Once again, you're an idiot... this person came looking for help and this is all you can do, provide accusations? These kids make their own decisions and not always the right ones... don't blame the parents... most of us do what we can to raise our kids properly with love and understanding... teenagers feel as though they own the world and are invincible...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchman1967 View Post
    @ThinkPeople...you're an idiot...don't come across as though you have the ONLY solution to the problem...

Dont reject your son any more, you prob made him go to drugs because you were too busy to care about him?

Seriously? Once again, you're an idiot...this person came looking for help and this is all you can do, provide accusations? These kids make their own decisions and not always the right ones...don't blame the parents...most of us do what we can to raise our kids properly with love and understanding...teenagers feel as though they own the world and are invincible...

I'd be careful about who you call an idiot.

You are addressing someone who last posted in 2008.

Name calling is discouraged on AMHD.
    dutchman1967 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
    My apoligies... didn't notice the posting date... just infuriates me when parents are suggested as being the problem when most of us do everything in our power to raise the best children possible... unfortunately, they get more rebelious as the teen years progress... I have my own suspicions that my son may be 'huffing' butane, and am searching for some solutions/advice and then I find someone who admits to being a heavy drug user but then can only blame the parents. Where is the accountibility for ones own actions? Blame the parents? Really? I do not appreciate being grouped into a 'bad parent' group... I am sure there are many who did absolutely nothing for their kids, let them run wild... I(we) personally have done nothing but talk and support my son in everything he has ever done or wanted to do, including coaching his hockey teams over the years so I could spend more time with him... I believe there to be many parents in my situation... this person simply venting his/her frustrations over his/her own parents failures... take some responsibility and accountibility for your own actions, this is where maturity lies. If you have ever watched an episode of 'Intervention', notice most of these people had very supporting, loving parents... but still managed to fall into a world of substance abuse... blame the parents? Total crap...
    I also didn't notice that this person was admonished for calling the person who posted prior to him/her a 'moron' and a 'clown'... In my opinion, this person should be careful who he/she calls a moron with a post like that...

As mentioned, I offer my apoligies...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help. My brother is huffing. [ 5 Answers ]

Last night I came home from a week long trip after my parents picked me up from the airport. When we got home my 15 going on 16 year old brother was home alone and the house smelled like gas for the second time within a few months period. We knew it right then and there he was huffing. We all...

Huffing [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: See I use to huff along time ago and I stopped then I started again and I got caught by the law now I'm on house arrest but I'm not a bad person see I don't like to huff so all of you who are huffing pleas stop it hurts so bad it hurts your body and your head and your family I know that...

View more questions Search